Giving up Fruits to go Keto

Options
Does anyone else struggle giving up fruits to stay low carb on keto diet? What do others dig into when craving sweet without having fruit or other carbs?

Thanks for your advice

Replies

• sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Depending your carb limit you can still have fruit. I do, just not as much as I would have before.
  • kholcomb51
    kholcomb51 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Same as sweetteadrinker2, I just don't eat as much. Lately I've been having blackberries and strawberries with cream and keto-friendly granola made with nuts, coconut oil, butter, sweetener, (for me Ideal xylitol), coconut, and I added a little Trader Joe's flax and chia peanut butter--yum. You can also make some fat bombs. There are loads of great recipes out there.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    What do others dig into when craving sweet without having fruit or other carbs?

Bacon

Sugar Free Jello with HWC

Cream Cheese or Mascarpone Cheese with dry SF jello sprinkled on or mixed in

Bacon
  • sbom1
    sbom1 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I omitted fruit for 30 days and have been having 1/4 cup of either raspberries or blueberries with a slug of HWC every day. I don't think you have to stay away from fruit but you don't want to be dumping a couple of bananas in your smoothie. Berries have fiber and are satisfying (to me) and they fit in my less than 25 net carbs.
  • KetoCutie
    KetoCutie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Berries are good, you just need to adjust your intake of other carbs to make sure it fits your target while you are losing weight. :)
  • SteveKroll
    SteveKroll Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    For me, I've just found that the best thing is to avoid anything sweet altogether. For a while, I tried to drink coffee with Splenda, but all it did was feed into cravings for more sweets. Instead of my usual two cups a day, I was soon drinking six cups. It finally dawned on me that I wasn't drinking more coffee because I needed the caffeine. I was drinking it because I was craving something sweet. I dropped the Splenda and the cravings went away.

So... no fruit for me. No sweet anything. If I stay away from that stuff, I don't miss it at all.
  • foochick
    foochick Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I agree with Steve. If I start eating those things I will keep craving those things....having said that, I'm hopelessly addicted to diet soda.
  • oyadancing
    oyadancing Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Nill4me (*)

Plus bacon.

I think of fruit like candy, and eat it rarely and sparingly when I do. Only berries, and no juices.

From Dr. Eenfeldt (Diet Doctor site): http://www.dietdoctor.com/how-to-lose-weight#6

Five servings of fruit per day is equivalent to the amount of sugar in 16 ounces of soda (500 ml). Contrary to what many people believe the sugar is more or less identical (about 50% glucose, 50% fructose).

Sugar from fruit can shut down fat burning. This can increase your hunger and slow your weight loss. For best results avoid fruit – or enjoy it occasionally as a treat.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    A mnemonic I sometimes use is, "Craving sweet? Eat meat!"
  • tq33702
    tq33702 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    oyadancing wrote: »
    Nill4me (*)

Plus bacon.

I think of fruit like candy, and eat it rarely and sparingly when I do. Only berries, and no juices.

From Dr. Eenfeldt (Diet Doctor site): http://www.dietdoctor.com/how-to-lose-weight#6

Five servings of fruit per day is equivalent to the amount of sugar in 16 ounces of soda (500 ml). Contrary to what many people believe the sugar is more or less identical (about 50% glucose, 50% fructose).

Sugar from fruit can shut down fat burning. This can increase your hunger and slow your weight loss. For best results avoid fruit – or enjoy it occasionally as a treat.

^^^yep, aye^^^
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    My go-to fruit is raspberries and, rarely, I have a sliver of apple just because I love it so.

It's very cold now so I don't miss fruit so much. I think I was used to eat fruit when I should in fact be drinking fluids so now I drink tea or just hot water with mint leaves or a drop of lemon.

I know this is probably silly but I still worry a bit that I'll get scurvy or something from not enough vitamins.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    KetoGirl83 wrote: »
    My go-to fruit is raspberries and, rarely, I have a sliver of apple just because I love it so.

It's very cold now so I don't miss fruit so much. I think I was used to eat fruit when I should in fact be drinking fluids so now I drink tea or just hot water with mint leaves or a drop of lemon.

I know this is probably silly but I still worry a bit that I'll get scurvy or something from not enough vitamins.

Ever since Keto I have missed "honey crisp" apples. I bought one a few months back and took four days to eat it (LOL!), it's still is definitely a treat.

Dan the Man from Michigan

• Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I can do part of an apple with some sort of nut butter on it, or apple fried in butter with cinnamon on it. But if i have a sweet craving, Ill make cookies with almond flour and AS, or a cream cheese cloud, chocolate mud cake in the microwave or something similar. Great cheesecake recipes out there with out crusts or using a nut crust and AS so they are low carb and higher fat.

SF jello with HWC is awesome!
  • cdn_beaver
    cdn_beaver Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I still eat berries a few times a week. Raspberries with HWC and a little bit of sweetener is an amazing treat. I also make strawberry smoothies with about 5 berries that I froze from last Summer. Locally grown strawberries in the Summer have so much more flavour so I use less than I would if I bought them at the store in the Winter.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    KetoGirl83 wrote: »

Yep, it's silly. :wink:

Not a knock on you, people actually don't know that the fewer carbs you eat, the less Vitamin C you need to prevent scurvy. It's actually been clinically studied, and even an all-meat diet produces no scurvy (or deficiencies of any sort). Additionally, green vegetables have as much, if not more, Vitamin C than most fruits, so if you're eating green veggies at all, then you really have nothing to worry about.

http://inhumanexperiment.blogspot.com/2009/09/two-brave-men-who-ate-nothing-but-meat.html
    http://www.jbc.org/content/87/3/651.full.pdf
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link Dragonwolf! :)
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    But it's Texas grapefruit season! I eat 1/2 red grapefruit a day. 11g net carbs.