metformin and weight loss...

Options
kellymac518
kellymac518 Posts: 132 Member
My doctor just started me on metformin today due to my decent amount of weight gain over the last few years from PCOS/insulin resistance. I was wondering if anyone could share their experiences with metformin and how it affected their weight and any other benefits they found?
thanks! :smile:

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    When I stayed low carb (25% carbs, usually around 100g - though some of the ladies here swear by 50g), the weight fell off once I started Metformin. But right after that, I hit a horrible financial spell, and about all I've been able to afford is bread, rice, potatoes, beans, etc., so I haven't been successful keeping the carbs low. Also, with Metformin AND not having a gallbladder, I have very little notice before having to make a made dash to use the facilities. It took me a bit to level out my carbs on Metformin to not have everything super loose. Fruit carbs make it worse, bread-ish carbs make it slightly better, but that is for me, specifically. Many others are the opposite...

I'm actually attempting an experiment right now of not counting calories, just counting carbs... I think to me that feels much more manageable... I'll let you know how it goes.

Welcome,
    Carly in OK
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Which met did he put you on? I use the extended release, as most of us do, because it hurts my tummy much less than the regular Met.

Work your way up to your correct dose slowly.

Dont eat a whole lot of carbs on Met. I have to keep mine pretty low or I have issues but I know there are some that can eat ~50g a day and be ok and even KnitOrMiss has to have some carbs or it will bother her. Find what works for you but lower carbs is almost always the way to go with Met.

If it upsets your tummy, you can take ginger pills, eat ginger or drink ginger tea and it helps, a lot! If its intestinal ginger doesnt hep much but that's where figuring out your carb balance comes in handy.

Check your B12 levels as Met can deplete them or not allow you to absorb them. I used to take my Met with my morning vitamins but read where KnitOrMiss's doctor told her to take her B12 a bit before her Met, so tried it and amazed at the energy levels I have so I am guessing the Met wasnt allowing me to absorb the B12.

Oh and if you miss a dose, be careful tryin to double up the next one. I normally take one 500mg in the morning and two at night but if i try to take all 3 at night I'll be on the potty all night and much of the next day.
  • kellymac518
    kellymac518 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I think it's just the regular metformin that she put me on... 500mg once a day.
  • cheekyclara
    cheekyclara Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am.just about to restart met... extended release for me. I was on it years ago and had tummy symptoms.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    If you specify which part of the tummy symptoms you suffered, someone here might be able to offer suggestions to counter those. My worst symptoms were more bowel related, but many of the folks here have been through the proverbial ringer with it!
  • lckyc2016
    lckyc2016 Posts: 13 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    When I first started Met i got a stomach ache/diarrhea but it does go away with time... Overall in the course of a month or so I did lose 15 lbs (500mg twice daily with meals)

She did have me titrate up because of the stomach problems, 1/2 a tablet daily for about a week, then 1 tablet, etc

• KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I think I heard that the Extended Release has less problems for folks. You might check on that. :)
  • jrbecca
    jrbecca Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Jumping in here as someone newly put on extended release, too. My trainer had me setting macros to 30% protein, 25% fat, and 45% carbs; however, this low-carb talk in conjunction with being on Metformin makes me wonder what my macros should change to. What is considered low carb? (Couldn't figure out how to post a new topic to the group, so jumping in here to try and discern more info).
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    jrbecca-

My endocrinologist told me to START with 25% carbs, 35-55% fat, and the balance in protein - then adjust down from there. However, my own research has shown that I should be at 60-85% fats, 25-10% protein, and 15%-5% carbs for best results of what I want to do (closer to keto than LCHF). There is an awesome low carb forum you might want to check out for more information.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Also, I had a ton of restroom side effects with metformin, having to essentially carb load not to need immodium. However since starting LCHF (on day 8 now), I had a few incidents here and there, but I guess my body is converting well to using fats, because each day I have fewer and fewer issues with the Metformin. I wish my endo had told me he wasn't just suggesting the lower carbs for giggles/health/weight loss and that it could actually minimize the effects of metformin.
  • bake_queen
    bake_queen Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I am 25 and I have been diagnosed with PCOS for 1 year, I have tried Metformin because I have read everywhere online that it helps with weight-loss in women who have PCOS, but for me it did nothing, I also took 500 mg twice a day with food, it just made me nauseous a lot, and I had no energy.
  • Journeywithyou
    Journeywithyou Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Bake_Queen I have found the most effective way to loose the weight is limit the carb intake. I had been on Metformin in the past and did not notice a weight difference. I discontinued taking because I became preg with my 2nd child.
  • crystalmoore83
    crystalmoore83 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    shortly after I was diagnosed with pcos 2 years ago, my Dr. put me on met. It gave me horrible stomach issues and I gained 10 lbs! needless to say I did not refill my prescription
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Crystal, I had similar issues and even had to add carbs to balance out the issues, but since I've gone Low Carb/High Fat/Moderate Protein at doctor suggestion, I find that the Metformin side effects are greatly minimized or eliminated. Carbs are the trigger for a lot of the gastro-distress issues with this medicine. I wish that were better notated in the literature.
  • fighterdiva
    fighterdiva Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I do well with metformin, now that I have the correct dosage. I was on a really high dose at one time that gave me severe diarrhea. It takes time for the metformin to buildup in your system, and you still have to watch what you eat even though you are on metformin.