Advice please

fatchimom
fatchimom Posts: 256 Member
Well, I decided to go out with friends for dinner so I had a big green salad with shredded cheese and tomato smothered in ranch dressing{of course!}followed by a hamburger patty topped with bacon and american cheese.{I asked for cheddar}. I came home and entered everything I ate today and although I am under 45 carb grams, my fat grams are almost 150!!!!! I'm fairly new at the low carb thing so I need to know how concerned I should be with the fat. Should I cut way back on that as well? Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Nope. Fat is awesome. I hit 200g+ some days. Of course, my calorie goal is over 2000 calories. I usually try and keep my fat over 70%. There's no need to worry. You have to get energy from something. It's not carbs. Protein isn't going to work either (you can't eat enough for it to be your main source of calories without risking illness). So, it's fat we turn to.

It's a little scary at first. Especially after believing that fat is bad. But, you'll get used to it quickly.
  • fatchimom
    Thank you. I will just keep going full steam ahead and see what happens! !!!
  • GingerGale1
    GingerGale1 Posts: 14 Member
    It can be scary to see those fat grams up there, but as the book title reads...Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway! It works! Just trust it.
  • fatchimom
    Love it!!! Thanks!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    When cutting carbs the calories need to be replaced and fats are my only option to keep down the sugar load from proteins in my case.
  • oyadancing
    oyadancing Posts: 91 Member
    edited February 2015
    You did great! You did not shy away from having fat, or putting fat on top of,fat! Now, were your friends envious, were there obvious wistful sighs, or did someone dare give you the side eye? LOL
  • fatchimom
    Good morning!!! Thank you all for the words of encouragement!!
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Sounds to me like you did just fine. I know how it is to see the macros go up, though. I struggle with that too. But when I eat higher fat I DON'T struggle with sugar cravings and that is a miracle in itself.
  • fatchimom
    Good to hear. Thank you!!!
  • rachel0923
    rachel0923 Posts: 137 Member
    If you are trying to lose weight, also keep an eye on the calories. Great to keep carbs down, but also need to keep calories down in order to lose! Keep it up, great choices!
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    That's fine for a given meal, but depending on your goals you may not need to do that every time. Ideally with keto you'll get more comfortable with eating to "satiety" rather than "fullness". We often associate the 2, but usually that's because carbs can be more 'filling' ... the CHO molecules bind to water, the starchy stuff can be bloated and heavier in our gut, the simple carbs can be high volume so our stomachs feel fuller.
    Nutritional satiety won't feel quite the same as a belly full of popcorn.
  • CJ0821
    CJ0821 Posts: 51 Member
    edited February 2015
    kirkor wrote: »
    Nutritional satiety won't feel quite the same as a belly full of popcorn
    Kirkor is right...it will feel sooooo much better, you will be SATISFIED, instead of that miserable "roll me out of here I ate too much" feeling. :D