Swimming newbie... appreciate suggestions, etc.

Options
turtle0022
turtle0022 Posts: 68 Member
Hi y'all. I recently rejoined MFP and through another thread, I learned about your group and look forward to learning from those with more experience.

I intend to swim for exercise and want to be able to swim laps. As a child I learned the basics - floating, treading water and the like. Much older now... this past month I've taken swim lessons to learn the proper technique and how to breathe while swimming freestyle. I'm struggling some with breathing and have not yet been able to complete one length of the lap pool, although I can by breast stroke or back stroke. With the freestyle my instructor said I have the technique down as far as my arms, stroke, kick, but seem to tense my shoulders and arms, causing me to work harder than I need - that I want to be gliding on the water. I'm breathing to the right on every 4th stroke. It seems when I get to the third breath I can't get enough air, tucker out and have to stop mid-lap to catch my breath. I realize practice will be key and build endurance. Until then, it was suggested I cut back to taking a breath every 2nd stroke.

Any suggestions or input how I can improve would be much appreciated. My goal is to be able to swim laps effortlessly. Until then, I want to get as much out of swimming as possible as this is my main form of exercise.

Thanks!

Replies

• AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Welcome back to the pool, turtle!
    I would recommend you try breathing on the 3rd stroke if you can rather than the 4th (which is giving you problems) and the 2nd.
    That way you learn from the outset to breathe from both sides, and you develop a symmetrical stroke. (Google bilateral breathing)

Second recommendation - if this is not what you are already doing, after you take in the breath, then breathe out steadily through the next 2 strokes, in advance of the breath of the 3rd stroke. In other words, at no point should you actually be holding your breath - you should be either breathing in (above water) or breathing out (underwater) at all times.

Holding breath alters buoyancy so that the upper body is more buoyant then the lower body, and also leads to tension where you should be 'relaxed' (which is relative, because if you are swimming hard it is still tiring)!
  • Tamois
    Tamois Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same problem. Had a lesson Friday to learn breathing techniques. Mastered the breaststroke breathing but can't get the freestyle right. Good to read your advice above AquaticQuests so I'll try that on my swim this morning.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Effortless is probably a misnomer, anyway. I totally get that when you see a skilled swimmer gliding along, hardly a ripple as they go, you think it's effortless. It looks that way.

It's kinda not.

Here's what at least one such person is thinking, "Okay, even vertical forearm. Focus on that. No, stop moving your arm in an S curve. Okay tighten up that kick so you're kicking from the hip. Nope, not quite. You're not engaging your core. Relax the head. Good. Okay, now reach further on entry. Nope, your hand is entering too close to your head -- more angle..."

• turtle0022
    Options
    Thanks. AquaticQuests, I'll give your suggestions a try.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I spent the few 4+ decades of swimming doing so breathing only out one side. When I started swimming longer distances I realized the need to breathe every 3rd and gain more balance in my swim. At first it was quite awkward breathing on the right side. But after a hundred miles (<2 months) it felt normal.
    Be persistent.
    As for building endurance, one lap at a time. Add a lap a week to your distance until you get to a goal.
    Swimming is my primary cardio since I can't do impact inducing cardio. So I swim. A lot.
  • turtle0022
    Options
    Thanks fishgutzy.
  • getfitrenee22
    getfitrenee22 Posts: 44
    edited February 2015
    Options
    there are several drills that can be helpful to work on the breathing rhythm for swimming...my favorite drill for working with novice swimmers is to take 3 pulls, then roll on the side and do xx kicks (usually 12 then decrease number by 3s as your build confidence). kicking on your side is excellent for engaging your core and working on balance in the water, additionally you can inhale/exhale and refocus for the next 3 strokes...

sidenote: all of swimming is about balance and rhythm...even butterfly...hence why it looks effortless at the elite levels...

you should never feel like you are fighting the water but gliding through it & swimming downhill

last piece of advice: i never advocate to just swim straight laps especially if swimming is your only cardio...mix in some drills, different strokes or just plain kicking to break up the workout and increase endurance quicker.

if you need more ideas/help just let me know - i'm a former d1 collegiate swimmer & have coached swimmers from young age groupers (4-5 yrs old) through masters swimmers!
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Bi-lateral breathing is the ideal, not only for the balanced stroke but because it's said to be the most efficient breathing interval. That said, I always breathe to my left. Although I CAN breathe to my right, I find it very strange & since I can easily last 4 strokes, I do 4 stroke breathing.....

Turtle, The best advice I can give you for the breathing is to stay relaxed about it & control it. Breathe out at a consistent rate that will allow you to last however many strokes you're going until the next breath. One of the worst things you can do it to try to hold your breath until right before it's time to take the next one - it's very difficult to expel all that air & take a breath in the time your head is turned. Also, it creates that panicky feeling - that feeling coupled with trying to transfer to much air in too short of a time can make you almost hyperventilate yourself. If you have ever been a runner, think about what works best to keep from getting winded - smooth, consistent, controlled breathing. The same holds true for swimming.....
  • kimtober
    kimtober Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I recently started breathing on the third stroke and yeah, it's the way to go, but definitely awkward at first. Try breathing in the 2nd stroke just it get the hang of it. Everyone else has better advice than I do, but I would say just enjoy it. Don't get worked up about doing everything perfectly and just enjoy being in the water. Work on one small thing at a time and let the others slide until you can work on them and then bring it all together.
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    The way I built up to three stroke breathing was to spend some time two stroke breathing, but one lap to the left and the next lap to the right to get used to breathing on the "wrong side". Now its as natural as anything, but my first breath is always a righthander.
  • turtle0022
    Options
    Thank you all for the wonderful advice - greatly appreciated! I'm certainly a swimmer in training and will take to heart the suggestions offered and give them a go - one at a time. During Wednesday's workout I swam the longest I have to date - an hour by mixing it up between freestyle, breaststroke and water jogging in between, going between 2 and 4 strokes for breathing. I could see breaking it was a benefit. I'm back at the pool today and look forward to working on the next suggestion and will refer back to your posts as I go along.
  • turtle0022
    Options
    @getfitenee, I did my workout today incorporating some drills by combining freestyle, breaststroke and water jogging - very helpful for endurance.
    @fishgutsy and 60sPanda, I tried breathing on third stroke. A bit awkward, but more doable than I thought. I can see this being a good option for me. Will practice more.

Overall, these suggestions helped me with my endurance today. Thanks!
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Keep doing it. It gets easier.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Noel - how true!

Or rather my middling ability swimming thinking goes something like 'ooh catching him up, how much of a rest can I sneak in if I do a slow turn, oh my he's now half way down th pool, remember that core, oops that frog kick was miles off, ah that's better, how come she is going faster than me even tho her head is above water all the time and she is doing scissor kicking, ok now what lap is it again, stretch out those arms, come on some oomph in the kick, aha catching him up again. Etc'

I'm told I look a pretty proficient swimmer - the internal dialogue gives it away tho...

Enjoy the swimming Turtle - at heart we are all 'swimmers in training' at some level or other. When I first went back into the pool (9 years ago) it was an achievement to do a width, and going into the deep end front crawl was a no way. Nowadays my regular swim is a kilometre. And I can even muster a (laughable) butterfly. (There is little internal dialogue on that one, it is mainly panic masked by determination! )

Just dive on in, at whatever pace suits you....

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    Noel - how true!

Or rather my middling ability swimming thinking goes something like 'ooh catching him up, how much of a rest can I sneak in if I do a slow turn, oh my he's now half way down th pool, remember that core, oops that frog kick was miles off, ah that's better, how come she is going faster than me even tho her head is above water all the time and she is doing scissor kicking, ok now what lap is it again, stretch out those arms, come on some oomph in the kick, aha catching him up again. Etc'

I'm told I look a pretty proficient swimmer - the internal dialogue gives it away tho...

Enjoy the swimming Turtle - at heart we are all 'swimmers in training' at some level or other. When I first went back into the pool (9 years ago) it was an achievement to do a width, and going into the deep end front crawl was a no way. Nowadays my regular swim is a kilometre. And I can even muster a (laughable) butterfly. (There is little internal dialogue on that one, it is mainly panic masked by determination! )

I LOVE hearing someone else's inner dialogue!! Mine doesn't include what other swimmers are doing because they're almost all more proficient than I am, or have figured out the breathing rhythm and can swim consistently for much longer than I can, but the voices in my head almost never stop.
  • turtle0022
    Options

@gently, thank you for sharing. I do enjoy it and realize my goals will be reached in time. For now, I'm swimming my heart out, stepping outside my box and trying new things... all of which are good.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Noel, Gently and Curls nailed it. We all have an internal dialogue playing through our mind, which is why we lose track of what our length count is, who else is splitting the lane. Today I lost track of a lane swimmer, did an UGLY off center flip turn and just about caused an underwater collision - me bad.

3 stroke bilateral breathing I am always struggling with it as my timing gets out of sync.
    So what I do is put on some fins - kick and swim as slow as possible and do 1 length of 2 stroke breathing on my strong side then 2 lengths on my weak side and then switch into 3 stroke bilateral for 3 lengths. Drop the fins and try 2 lengths bilateral. The fins give you lots of kick power and flotation allowing you to slow the stroke rate down and really concentrate on the timing. Also its a nice drill that helps breakup the swim.

When it comes to speed I don't worry to much about that, as I was told by a person in a local running club and I feel it applies to swimming - put in the time and increase the distance you swim - the speed will come as your technique improves.

Gently love how you called it the "Frog Kick" that exactly how I described it to my nieces and nephews.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Lol! This is all so funny! I'm starting an internal dialogue thread! Please re-paste your internal dialogues there! Please please! :smiley:
  • getfitrenee22
    Options
    turtle0022 wrote: »
    @getfitenee, I did my workout today incorporating some drills by combining freestyle, breaststroke and water jogging - very helpful for endurance.
    @fishgutsy and 60sPanda, I tried breathing on third stroke. A bit awkward, but more doable than I thought. I can see this being a good option for me. Will practice more.

Overall, these suggestions helped me with my endurance today. Thanks!

GREAT TO HEAR!!!! if you ever need more suggestions feel free to ask away...i love coaching ...and swimming...its such a lifelong sport that it's inspiring to hear people enjoying the sport at every level and age!
  • getfitrenee22
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »

3 stroke bilateral breathing I am always struggling with it as my timing gets out of sync.
    So what I do is put on some fins - kick and swim as slow as possible and do 1 length of 2 stroke breathing on my strong side then 2 lengths on my weak side and then switch into 3 stroke bilateral for 3 lengths. Drop the fins and try 2 lengths bilateral. The fins give you lots of kick power and flotation allowing you to slow the stroke rate down and really concentrate on the timing. Also its a nice drill that helps breakup the swim.

When it comes to speed I don't worry to much about that, as I was told by a person in a local running club and I feel it applies to swimming - put in the time and increase the distance you swim - the speed will come as your technique improves.

that's a great idea to practice bilateral breathing...fins are a great tool to build strength, comfort & balance in the water.

i completely agree with you about the speed improving as technique does...you'll be a much more efficient faster swimmer than you will a thrasher! haha :)