preop for VSG but have some questions...

Options
I am hoping to meet my doctor's 10% weight loss requirement when I see him for my mid 6month period next week. I have to see the dietician for 6 monthly visits before he will schedule the surgery. I hope to have it in April.
Question 1: I have heard about people giving up on needing medications for diabetes and perhaps other illnesses following the surgery. What about for high blood pressure, high cholesterol and thyroid? I take these medications now. What about later on? What about during the liquid only phase following surgery?

Question 2: How much time should I prepare myself before returning to work? I work in a public library and much of my job can be on sitting, but I do currently work 40 hrs/wk and wondered if I should try to schedule myself on 1/2 days when I first go back.

Question 3: How did you deal with changing clothing sizes while you first lost the weight? Did you just go baggy for a time and then bought tighter clothes to gradually feel comfortable in at a later time? Money isn't a superbig issue with me, but it seems like I will be dropping a lot of sizes when I get the surgery and wondered what others did.

Hope to hear from you an your experiences.

Replies

• kittenincalgary
    kittenincalgary Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hi there :) Im also pre-op (getting sleeved next Wednesday) and I just wanted to say about question 3 that where I live, I have found a wonderful group of ladies, both pre and post op, that get together once a month for a small discussion, support and a clothing swap. Dealing with rapidly changing sizes is a challenge for sure. I have no idea where you are, but maybe check around for something similar?
    ~ Allison
  • jillcwatson1
    jillcwatson1 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I intend to participate in the monthly support group that my surgeon's office runs here in town. (Jasper, IN) but many of those who attended when I attended my first meeting were post op by over 3 years, so were smaller than I am. One hope that I have is that as I lose the weight I will be changing seasons and may find clothes packed away that I haven't been wearing. My job allows for casual dress, so I don't need professional attire for work, but I didn't want to invest in something I may not wear again next year. (or hopefully next quarter!
  • lorilbuckner1
    lorilbuckner1 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I don't know how you feel about thrift shops and/or clearance sales but they are great ways to keep up with the size changes inexpensively! I'm scheduled for the Gastric Sleeve Feb 16th, as I have gone through the 6 months required diet I've become a fan of both!!
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Question 1
    Diabetes type II could go away true. High blood pressure could go away true.
    Cholesterol medications could go down or away true. Thyroid the level could change your dosage but probably won't go away.
    During the liquid phase most Dr will have you crush them up and mixed with food or something. Some meds can't be crushed and work correctly like Metformin, in this case metformin has a liquid form as a substitute.

Randy RN
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I am hoping to meet my doctor's 10% weight loss requirement when I see him for my mid 6month period next week. I have to see the dietician for 6 monthly visits before he will schedule the surgery. I hope to have it in April.
    Question 1: I have heard about people giving up on needing medications for diabetes and perhaps other illnesses following the surgery. What about for high blood pressure, high cholesterol and thyroid? I take these medications now. What about later on? What about during the liquid only phase following surgery?

I was on BP, Cholesterol, Metformin, thyroid meds, and an anti-inflammatory for my arthritic hips. During my significant pre-surgery weight loss Cholesterol meds were drastically reduced, Metformin was eliminated. After surgery, we stopped all except the thyroid (as Randy said). Now, I only take post-surgery meds (Actigall, Calcium Citrate and Multivitamin) plus thyroid meds. Happy times!
    Question 2: How much time should I prepare myself before returning to work? I work in a public library and much of my job can be on sitting, but I do currently work 40 hrs/wk and wondered if I should try to schedule myself on 1/2 days when I first go back.

I took 4 weeks off, as was recommended by my surgeon and allowed by my disability work insurance. I *could* have gone two weeks, but was still sleeping a lot (including daytime naps) and used the time to get outside and walk (including some limited golfing after two weeks) and get my routine ingrained. I would have been very tired had I gone back sooner. 1/2 days would certainly ease the transition.
    Question 3: How did you deal with changing clothing sizes while you first lost the weight? Did you just go baggy for a time and then bought tighter clothes to gradually feel comfortable in at a later time? Money isn't a superbig issue with me, but it seems like I will be dropping a lot of sizes when I get the surgery and wondered what others did.

Hope to hear from you an your experiences.

Pants needed to be replaced more quickly than shirts (for me as a large framed guy). I am down 8 inches in my pants waist (maybe 10" as my current pants are a little loose). I am slowly buying new shirts, but for the most part, I am still wearing the big shirts in my closet to work, and they look pretty blousy, but don't seem to be too big of a problem (but I *am* an engineer, so my co-workers may not be the most fashion-conscious).

I will likely have a mini shopping spree when I switch to maintenance.

Good luck, and hit these next 6 months hard!

Rob
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Question #1 - Since surgery I have been taken off my BP and Thyroid meds. The BP meds they initially cut in half at about 50 pounds off. By 75 pounds off they stopped them both. I never was on Cholesterol or Diabetes meds, but was very close. Those numbers are now back in the normal range too.

Question #2 - I have a desk job and was given 2 weeks off. I took the whole 2 weeks for a couple of reasons. First I wanted to be sure I fully understood and was totally comfortable with what I needed to do for food and water during the day and how I was going to make that work at work. Second, I still needed a nap or two for a couple of weeks after even though I was pain free and feeling good. The surgery is a huge shock to the body and that takes time to recover from.

Question #3 - I change wardrobe when I've gone down 2 sizes or more. Clothes, even used clothing, can be too expensive to replace more often in my opinion. So for instance, I started this at a 4X/30-32. I replaced with a slightly too tight 2X/22-24 and it wasn't tight for long, and so on. I let things get really baggy and about 2 sizes too big before I replace. If I do buy things between replacment times, I buy slightly tight so I get more wear time out of it. Make sense?
  • lorilbuckner1
    lorilbuckner1 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    rpyle111 wrote: »
    I was on BP, Cholesterol, Metformin, thyroid meds, and an anti-inflammatory for my arthritic hips. During my significant pre-surgery weight loss Cholesterol meds were drastically reduced, Metformin was eliminated. After surgery, we stopped all except the thyroid (as Randy said). Now, I only take post-surgery meds (Actigall, Calcium Citrate and Multivitamin) plus thyroid meds. Happy times!
    I was in pretty much the exact same boat with the addition of my arthritic knees! During the first 6 months, everything was eliminated with the exception of my thyroid meds and an arthritis med, as my knees are completely shot and both need to be replaced! I cannot tell you how great it feels to be off all those meds! Thyroid is not something I will ever be off from. If you are still on any meds at the time of surgery, your Dr will instruct you as how to handle them. I have already been told that I will be given my thyroid meds the evening of my surgery while in the hospital, and since they are small I will be able to take them as usual even during the liquid phase. My arthritis meds will be evaluated after I'm off pain meds from surgery and I have been instructed to use chewable vitamins and supplements until I move into solid foods. I have found most of mine are available as chewable. No one should ever stop taking meds unless instructed to do so, even in the liquid phase!

Don't be afraid to ask questions at your Dr. visits. Keep following the program and you will be fine. I'm scheduled for my surgery Feb 16th! So close! Very excited!!
  • SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I know many people can stop their diabetes meds immediately after surgery. I was able to stop my HBP meds right after surgery and haven't needed them since. I know people who have struggled to get their thyroid meds right after surgery, as apparently the rapid weight loss throws things out of whack. My cholesterol numbers haven't really changed since surgery. They trend towards the high end of normal, just like before, but not high enough to require meds.

I'm an academic librarian, so probably pretty similar job requirements. I took two weeks from work, then worked three half days, then we had a three day weekend. After the weekend, I went back full time. If not for the three day weekend, I probably would have kept going on half days for a couple more days.

I pretty much bought smaller clothes as soon as I could, but confined myself to used clothes, EBay, and sales to save money. I always felt so much better when I could get into a smaller size! And this may sound small-minded and vain, but you'll find that the better your clothes fit, the more compliments you will get on your weight loss and how good you look. Baggy clothes do not *hide* your figure, they just make you look bigger than you are! And I found that I really enjoyed the compliments and higher self esteem that went along with looking better.
  • Jessicadmx
    Jessicadmx Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am 3.5 weeks post op from the sleeve. My clothes are baggy but not enough to switch down a size. But I did buy a 2x jacket (previous size 4x) in high hopes to wear it soon :)

I was going to take 4weeks off because I am a nurse in a fast paced high volume floor. But I had complications so now I will be out 8 weeks.
  • talinaklocke
    talinaklocke Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    At the time of surgery I was on 3 diabetes meds, at my last doctors appointment my doctor was able to remove one of them, with the hopes to remove another at my next appointment and eventually the third. I didn't have any problems taking my pills after surgery but it did take me awhile to get them all down (about 45 mins) cause I had to take 1-2 at a time. There are lots of medications that can be taken in liquid form if you need/want them.

As far as clothes, I am fairly limited as far as cash flow goes so I have been altering my pants (taking them in at the waist mostly) and just wear my shirts baggy. I am getting to the point I think I may need to get some smaller shirts, but it's pretty easy to alter them as well. Thrift stores are a great resource for clothes that you probably won't wear long.
  • jillcwatson1
    jillcwatson1 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for their help. I forgot to check here the last few days.

I am happy to hear that many of you have reduced and eliminated medications. I am hoping to change life insurance policies soon, and thought that I would be down in weight faster than I was able to do on my own. Surgery will help the process, but I know that I have a lot of work before me. I am making some progress, but can't wait until the spring! Your comments here are a real encouragement. Thanks.