What is your weight loss goal...

Options
JJA14
JJA14 Posts: 82 Member
...But more importantly, WHY did you decide on that goal?

I hit a massive 13st13lbs (195lbs) a while back, I'm down to 12st3lbs (171lbs) at the moment.
I have bilateral lower-leg lymphodaema and was recently told by my doctor that I needed to lose weight, but more importantly, to exercise. BIG motivator!
So I used bmi calculators to see where my healthy weight ought to be - between 111lbs and 150lbs (that's 7st13lb - 10st10lbs)
I lost a lot of weight (weightwatchers) 3 years ago and got down to 8st 8lbs (120lbs) and this was way too low for me, I looked gaunt, I obsessed about what I was eating and I couldn't maintain it. So my goal is right at the upper edge of 'healthy' - 10st8lbs (148lbs)
However, because I'm now a committed 5:2er it will be interesting to see how much easier it is to maintain rather than that mental torture of feeling I am still 'on a diet' when I have reached a healthy weight.

What about you lot?

Replies

• snaps27
    snaps27 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I agree...the low end of my ideal weight is below 110. There is no way that I'll even consider getting this low. I want to be in the healthy range too. Anywhere in the 140's would suit me fine. As I've never been there in my adult life I will be happy to get there.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Highest weight 97kg
    SW 5:2 86kg
    CW 57-58kg
    My goal is 54-55kg, which is the middle of my healthy bmi range. I have a pretty muscular build and am already quite happy at 57kg, so I won't be going lower. 54 will just give me a bit of wiggling room.

Why? Because I've always been fat and was never happy about it, but i never found something I could stick to. In addition my body and soul were ready to let go after years of work on my inner self. At that moment I discovered 5:2 and never looked back.

5:2 for life!
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Right now my goal weight is 145lbs (66kg). I picked it because it is in the normal BMI range for me. I have been 145lbs before and thought it was a decent weight that I could maintain. I am thinking when I reach it I might try to maintain and if I can I might try to go a bit lower. Or I might just continue on and see if I can hit 140 or 135. Or I might just stay at 145 for the rest of my life. :lol:

I do agree with you that the best weight is the weight I can maintain for life. That is my goal too.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    My GW is 53 kg (116 lbs) just because this is the weight I maintained effortlessly for most of my life, give or take some kg in either direction. BUT... I used to be a total sedentary with very little visible muscle. I've noob gained some muscle during the dieting period. So I'll go with what "feels right" and not obsess over some fixated scale number :)
  • MrsBailey149
    MrsBailey149 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Highest weight: 222 (size 16 pants)
    Lowest weight (2 years ago): 165 (size 10 pants)
    current weight: 185 (size 12 pants)
    goal weight: between 149-155 (8 maybe??)

I'm getting a tummy tuck in the beginning of Aug., so it's essential that I get down to my goal by then. It's not lipo suction....just removal of skin.

When I first started, I was shooting in the dark at what a goal weight would be. I've always been a little over weight besides my sophomore/junior year in high school and I can't remember what I weighed then (nor should I go off of that now that I'm 30). I think around 160 puts me in a healthy BMI. When I was 165 I felt great and knew I needed just those last 10-15 pounds and I'd be good. I want a weight that is manageable, since I definitely know how easy it is to gain weight back :/

I'm 5'7.5'' and have a medium/large frame.
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I want to be 145 because for my height, it's the higher end of "normal" I'm considered pretty overweight because of my height (only 5'3.5" and weigh 173). I'd love to be 135-140 but I haven't been in that range since 2011. Plus, I've had a child.. so I have no idea where my body weight will settle now. I've gained the last two weeks, and I'm a little discouraged. I was doing so well, and lost 5.2 lbs since 12/30 but now my weight loss is only down to 2ish lbs. UGH!
  • lulu1066
    lulu1066 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    keep at it missus. You'll get there. x
  • Juliemoo1960
    Juliemoo1960 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    There is now a train of thought that it is the waist measurement that is more important as opposed to BMI. Sometimes the bmi seems ridiculously low and I have friends who are obsessed by it yet look gaunt and ill because they are still considered to be overweight according to the chart.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I started out just over 14st with initial goal of getting to 12st 7lbs.
    Based on nothing more scientific than that was my favourite weight waaaaay back in my 20's.

Maintained for a while and decided to make that my maximum weight - so range of weight between 12st4 & 12st7 (172 - 175lbs). Mostly based on what I saw in the mirror, I must have carried more muscle mass in my 20's than I do in my 50's!

After a while dropped target to 12st2 - mainly to assist my cycling.
    Again maintained for a few months and dropped goal weight to 12st - mostly vanity really but also lets me sneak into healthy BMI range. BMI isn't kind to me with a stocky build and a barrel chest....

Again maintained for a few months (bit of a theme developing here!!) dropped another four pounds March 2014, taking cycling more seriously. Took off another 3lbs September ahead of a big cycle event.

But really that's it now. At my optimum cycling weight of 11st7lbs I feel a bit skinny and start to get comments from friends and family. For the most part I stay between 11st10lbs and 12st which I use as an upper warning limit to pay attention.
  • janetteluparia
    janetteluparia Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    CW 155ish
    Goal 1 150
    Goal 2 143
    Ultimate goal 135
    Stuck now for a year :-(
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Sw 81kgs (180lbs)
    Cw 80kgs (176lbs)
    Gw 50kgs (110lbs)
    My bmi says I should be at 45kgs (99lbs)

I'd love to get to that but hmmm that's very low
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Karen that IS low - what height are you? Also, bmi is a range, not one number.
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    Options
    I'm 152cm. The bmi range says 45 - 55. Well that's what the one at my gp's office says anyway. But like I said it's very low. I'll have to see how it feel as I get smaller
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    So why aren't you aiming for 55kg, ie the upper end of the range?
  • zahid222
    zahid222 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Sw 81kgs (180lbs)
    Cw 80kgs (176lbs)
    Gw 50kgs (110lbs)
    My bmi says I should be at 45kgs (99lbs)

I'd love to get to that but hmmm that's very low

How tall are you? I am 4'7" . My weight should be 107 lbs to be at the upper range of normal BMI!
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    Options
    Ahhh so my doctor is a moron!! I thought that was way low!
    So 110 lbs would be a good goal weight?
    I'm 152cm or 5' even
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    The range is fine, Karen . 50g / 1.52m gives you a bmi of 21.5. If you find that low, aim for 50 - 55kg.

I'm 157cm and 57-58kg atm. Bmi of 23.5. My range is 49-59kg. Not that the bmi is totally relevant, but I'd like to get to 54-55kg, which is right in the middle of my healthy range.
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks for explaining that to me
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Please don't get too hung up on "normal" ranges or numbers. If you're a slender build aiming for the lower end is ok. Go by what feels best for YOUR body. This is one of the reasons why the normal weight BMI is the largest, cause it really depends. Even two people of the same height might have different comfort zones.

I'm slender build, at the upper end of healthy BMI, I'm ok but not happy.
  • BadgerLamb236
    BadgerLamb236 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I'm aiming for 62.4kg, as it is a round 30kg under my starting weight of 92.4kg (I am 1.68m). However, its more about how I feel than the numbers, so it will depend on how I feel.