9 Months Post Op and Scared

Options
I had my sleeve done May 5, 2014 and I have lost 72-74 lbs (it goes back and forth). I have about 65-70 lbs to lose to be at goal. I am feeling much better than I have in years, and I'm excited to be able to do the things I love to do like being active with my granddaughters. I am so glad that I had the surgery, and I look forward to living a healthier life. Being healthy and living life to it's fullest is my goal.

However, in the past few months I find that I'm eating more than I should and moving less. I'm falling back into my old habits and patterns. I've plateaued at this weight and I can't seem to get myself off dead center. I'm so scared that I will end up right back where I started. I'm not content where I am; I want to keep moving in the right direction.

I am willing to listen to any advise you may have to offer.

Replies

• pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I have advice, but I am standing right where you are. I went from 386 to 222, then 228, and I can't seem to get back to the 222 or lower. I too have 60 some pounds to goal. I too am so much healthier and happier, but like you I don't want to be done yet. For me, I want to be below 200 pounds and I know I won't be content with this weight loss until I am.

The advice I've been given is to keep logging, stay within calories, get in all my water and increase activity. So I'm still working the plan and hoping something breaks soon. If you get better advice than that, please share.

And know you are not alone! I am on the plateau with you.
  • jkern9110
    jkern9110 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I think the fact that you are cognizant of your problem and have sought help speaks volumes to the positive improvements you have made.

If you are like me, pre-surgery you probably wouldn't have openly admitted to back-sliding and definitely wouldn't have sought help. You are holding yourself accountable now! You should be proud of that!

I, too, have battled back sliding at several points in my post-surgery journey. At 17-months post-op, I know that I did some back sliding starting right around month 9 or 10. I recognized the problem and got back on track. Then I had another around the holidays, I did it again.

I noticed that when I back slid that I wasn't committed to logging my food intake and definitely wasn't committed to exercising. So I went back to the basics. I re-evaluated my goals, started weighing and measuring my food, logged everything I ate or drank, and promised myself to get in more exercise.

I will tell you that even after doing all of this after the holidays, the scale just doesn't move the same for me as it did in the beginning. I know that I got used to seeing the number on the scale drop in sizeable increments and now it's smidge here and there.

As you move out of what we all refer to as the "honeymoon phase" your commitment to leading a more healthy lifestyle will have to be stronger than ever. You will have to work harder at your now lower weight to see results and the scale may not move down as quickly as you like, but keep in mind that this is not a sprint to a finish line, this is a marathon that will last your entire life.
  • rlshopp6
    rlshopp6 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm 4 years post-op, and have struggled with this at times too. The things I find most helpful: attend a support group meeting, meet with your NUT, if your WL team offers social worker/counseling, schedule a session with them. Also, I have found that having a personal trainer significantly helps me stay accountable with my fitness. I know this is a luxury, and not in everyone's budget, but for me I'd rather skimp on other things (who needs cable, I shouldn't be sitting that long anyway!) and splurge on this. Too, asking close friends and family to do things that are active together when you see each other, instead of only having activities revolving around food. So when I see my family for a meal, within 30-60 minutes after the meal I ask a few people "who wants to take a walk with me" and there's usually at least a few that will... but I've also gone on my own, and when I get back it's right back into the festivities.

I do think this whole thing is a journey, and as you already know, having surgery is a tool but it's not a guarantee, so being conscious of this, and asking for help/advice/encouragement here is tremendous too. Congrats on getting to where you are, and having courage to keep asking for help.
  • homerismyhero
    homerismyhero Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm at about the same place and start to freak out when I think I'm eating too much and moving too little. I'm still loosing- but it's slower, and I don't feel like I'm as much in control of my eating as I was a few weeks ago. I'm trying to be aware of hunger vs snacking. My logging is good- but its cold out and that makes me like the couch a little too much....
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    So at normal wt for ht here is what usually happens at half my meals...1/2 cup soup and 3 bites of chicken salad and my meal is over..... mentally I will still have that little tug that says "What?! That is it?!" where I have to remind myself that food is not an activity, reward, support, savior, medication, etc. I am full and had plenty of calories so thinking about further food is not normal nor healthy. So, put it away and go live your life.
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    where I have to remind myself that food is not an activity, reward, support, savior, medication, etc. I am full and had plenty of calories so thinking about further food is not normal nor healthy. So, put it away and go live your life.

These are words that I need to live by, even at only 11 weeks out.
  • hurricanelena
    hurricanelena Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Whenever I've started falling back into old habits, negative thinking, etc (and this is sometimes a daily or weekly cycle), I've found it useful to pick the one thing I'm going to change for the day/week/month. Otherwise it can start to seem overwhelming.

The past few months I've tried to shift my focus from just food to fitness goals: run a 5K, squat my bodyweight, do a pull up, bike 300 miles this month, etc (whatever I'm feeling at the time). For food goals I often work towards, today I'm going to get in my protein and not worry about anything else, today I'm going to stay below my calorie limit, etc.

I've also found it helpful to hide the scale. Its often a really bad friend and not inclusive of all the other awesomeness I've achieved.
  • dcc56
    dcc56 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I've even thought of going back to the original two week liquid diet, and then start the diet progression all over again....sometimes the freedom to eat "normal food" is too easy to abuse with bad choices and bad serving sizes. I think I do better with structure...having something I have to follow. I can do it and it keeps me on track. I have not begun to do what I have mentioned just yet, I have decided to ramp up my exercise instead and logging my intake more seriously first. But I have been toying with the idea as a kind of "starting over" thing.....I have been lucky not to gain, but I am kinda stuck at the current number.
  • JreedyJanelle
    JreedyJanelle Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Take your measurements! Just keep on logging! Vary your exercise routine! My doctor said sometimes a plateau can last 4 weeks. What ever you do stay on plan, move and above all get that water in. Relax, it will move