I don't understand what this means.

Options
I have been looking around certain websites with recipes for the ketogenic diet and I keep seeing this [ Ratio 13:1 ] at the top of the recipes. What do these numbers mean between the : ?

Replies

• x_Minerva_x
    x_Minerva_x Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I couldn't figure out what it means even when searching Google for it. I did however see that one person referred to it as a Fat v. Protein ratio, but not sure if that is what it means or not.
  • cdn_beaver
    cdn_beaver Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I've never noticed anything like that so without context it's tough to tell. Could be ratio of fats, carbs, proteins, etc.
  • sdefranc
    sdefranc Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Could you give an example?
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    That sounds like Skaldeman's ratio (though I've usually seen it just presented as a single number and is usually between 0 and 2, so "1.3"). If that is it, then it comes from his book Lose Weight By Eating.

Basically, it's what he calls the "fat burning ratio":

FBR = fat grams / (protein grams + carbs grams)

So, 1.3:1 would be something like:

1.3 = 52 / (30 + 10)

Anything over 1 is considered "fat burning," though the goal number depends on how overweight you are. The more weight you have to lose, the closer to 2 you want to get, according to his stuff.

Without context, it's hard to tell if this is what you found, but this is what I've seen on a few different recipe sites.
  • RadRac01
    RadRac01 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The ratios used ARE for carbs to fat etc but they are specifically for people following keto for the purposes of controlling epilepsy. Check out slides 19, 26, and 27. This should clear it up: http://www.dravetfoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Blackford-presentation-2014.pdf
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    RadRac01 wrote: »
    The ratios used ARE for carbs to fat etc but they are specifically for people following keto for the purposes of controlling epilepsy. Check out slides 19, 26, and 27. This should clear it up: http://www.dravetfoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Blackford-presentation-2014.pdf

Actually, looks like the same formula Skaldeman uses. Makes me curious who got what when (doesn't really matter, but does make me curious).