Bike to Work Tips

Options
ama312
ama312 Posts: 2 Member
Hi All,
I am planning on doing RAGBRAI this summer (www.ragbrai.com) and am going to start biking to work as part of my training. My ride will be about 25 miles one way. Thankfully, my company has a fitness center with shower facilities so I don't have to worry about that aspect of it. But, I do not want to carry clothes/computer, etc if possible. If anyone has any advice on how they manage their bike commute, I'd appreciate your suggestions on what you've tried and what works best.
Thanks.

Replies

• gdjester1
    gdjester1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I had my office get me a tablet so I could leave my laptop at the office. Now I carry my clothes and tablet in a backpack as I ride.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I have one complete SPARE set of clothing at my office.

I keep my blazers (all two of them) and a couple sweaters there, because those are too bulky/heavy to transport. My nice shoes also live at work.

I do bring skirt/leggings/shirt fresh every day. They don't take up too much room and are light. I use a rack and waterproof panniers. I'll use a backpack for a short commute but would not want it for 25 miles. I have a very light laptop and haul that with me. It has an extra-large battery, which adds a *little* weight, but saves on not having to drag the power cable around. I digitize *everything* so I don't have to carry papers around.

If it's raining, I just deal with the fact that at work I will still be walking around with a high-vis cycling raincoat, not a nice fabric-y black trench.

If it's raining in the morning, I can *usually* count on my stuff to be dry by the end of the day. If I'm planning to come home early, yes, I have done time with the locker room hairdryer in my socks and shoes. You might consider keeping a spare set of cycling clothes in your office, too.

What is your bike experience? For a commute that long (and for RAGBRAI), be sure you know basic bicycle maintenance. :) (I'm guessing you do, but it's worth mentioning just in case.)
  • moritz7588
    moritz7588 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My ride is 35 km one way, so close to what yours is. I use a camelback "blowfish" pack. I put my tablet, work cell phone, change of clothes and lunch into it. I leave shoes and sweater at work.

I have a half locker that I put most of my biking gear in during the day. I change in one of the stalls in the bathroom.

I don't have a shower at work so have joined a gym a few kilometers from work that I stop at on the way in. I used to get strange looks every morning as I would walk in as the gym entered in my bike gear and then walk back out 15 minutes later, all showered and "fresh". They seem to have accepted that now.

If it is raining everything gets put into plastic baggies and then into the pack. My gear will get hung up around various coat racks in the building if it is too wet to dry in the locker.

I bike commute until snow is on the road and then the bike goes on the trainer (bleck - can't wait for the snow to go away).
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to try this come spring time. Unfortunately, my workplace has no facilities for showers, but I figure a change of clothes is good enough -- especially as I keep my hair short or shaved off! Work is about 25 miles away over some hills and a big river in the way. A little daunting, but I think I'm ready.
  • m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    My commute is unique in the way most days I ride to work then back home at lunch, then drive back to work to finish my day. This allows me to bring the next day items with me by car as well as not dealing with 5pm traffic. I also keep extra clothes and my work shoes stay at work. My work doesn't have showers or lockers so I have to take a bird bath in the single handicap restroom.
  • matsprt1984
    matsprt1984 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    How many days a week are you planning on doing it ??

I did what you are planning for 3 years. I would drive in on Sunday and stock all the clothes and most of my food in the office (helped that I owned the business). Then ride in for the next 5 days. Weekends were open for longer rides or races.

You only doing 3 days ?? Monday, Wednesday, Friday ?? Then stock up on Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday. Only 2 days ?? Then stock up on Monday and Wednesday.

Biggest thing I think was planning for schedule changes ahead of time once the system was in place. Clothes, food and weather all are factors. Not much worse than changing into cold wet bibs. Or getting on your bike to go home and it's raining out. Just HTFU and do it.

Make sure you have a good quality bike and keep it maintained. It is your friend, take care of it and it will take care of you. Mine never failed me during those commutes.

I got into "racing" myself to and from home too much. Remember to keep several days for easy days and just chill. My chill days were Monday and Friday. Accumulated fatigue can be a factor if you don't watch it. Don't worry about missing a day every now and then, just don't let it become a habit.
  • ToughMudderAddict
    ToughMudderAddict Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    It is almost time for my own commute to work to start for the season. My commute is 25ish miles one way and then I usually take the bus home (with my bike - work gives us a huge discount for the bus so it's practically free). Give yourself a lot more time than you think you're going to need to arrive to work on time. The simplest thing can cost you a ton of time to fix.

You said work has showers, that's a huge plus - be sure to give yourself ample time to use them and dress. Does work have lockers? I have a locker at work which I keep my shower items in, deoderant (don't forget that), a brush, and a pair of shoes. I use those travel size products for the shower and refill them as needed. I work in the medical field so my work clothes are crazy easy to just leave in my locker but a rack on the back of my bike also does the trick with a waterproof bag (which would also hold a lap top).

I only really biked to work 2 or 3 times a week and would make sure Monday was NOT one of those bike days so that I could leave anything I might need the following day (a bike day) in my locker. You're going to want a "dirty" bag for your bike clothes if you're not riding home in the same clothes. I use a reusable bag for my bike clothes that can be washed.

Most importantly.. make sure you know your bike friendly way to work. Turn your blinky lights on and keep warm!
  • Archon2
    Options
    Hey I had an idea about just leaving laptop on at work, and then using a remote desktop application over the VPN to access it from home if I needed it that night, before biking in again the next day. Anyone use this method? Seems easier than lugging the thing in a backpack.
  • m1xm0d3
    Options
    Archon2 wrote: »
    Hey I had an idea about just leaving laptop on at work, and then using a remote desktop application over the VPN to access it from home if I needed it that night, before biking in again the next day. Anyone use this method? Seems easier than lugging the thing in a backpack.

This is an excellent idea, if work permits. We use it all the time at my job. Though we aren't allowed to work from home very often.
  • howie6267
    howie6267 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Archon2 wrote: »

I know this is an old thread but I was going to start one to see who all rode to work. There are some great ideas here. I have a desktop but do use the VPN so no choice of carrying home. I'm on call 24/7 so I have to have access at home.

I'm am lucky that from door to door I am only a mile from my house. I have been trying to get some miles in on a local bike path though in the morning, lunch and ride home. I do the spit bath thing but also sit at a desk and don't have to work with others closely so it's not to much of a problem for me at the office. I also have a very relaxed dress code so I wear shorts and a T-shirt most days. I don't have a biking outfit to change out of but probably could use some extra shirts for those hot days. Right now I just tell them to deal with my shirt being a little sweaty. lol We have a small group of 7 in my office and we are all friends that have worked together for the past 15 years so no problems there. I just keep clean and use deodorant.

• m1xm0d3
    Options
    I commute every day possible. Sweaty clothes stink so I carry work clothes with me a few times a week to keep at work. I clean up in the private restroom and change into fresh clothes before starting my day.
  • howie6267
    howie6267 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    For some reason I am blessed with a fairly non odorous body. I even asked my wife just to make sure and she agrees. Lol I still go ahead and clean up and wash off afterward. But my clothes do seem good to go.
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Commute as near daily as possible here...even in "inclement" weather. Fresh clean clothes go in the waterproof pannier, shoes are left at work, lunch goes in the other side. Just a quick change in the restroom and wipe down if needed (and a deodorant swipe if neccessary) and I'm good to go. Although I have been told my office can get a bit fragrant (espeically on wet days when everything is drying) but considering I work in a hospital it's far from the worst smell here. Commuting is a great way to get mileage in without taking time out from other more prioirty things, like family (no matter what Sean Kelly says).
  • m1xm0d3
    Options
    Commute as near daily as possible here...even in "inclement" weather. Fresh clean clothes go in the waterproof pannier, shoes are left at work, lunch goes in the other side. Just a quick change in the restroom and wipe down if needed (and a deodorant swipe if neccessary) and I'm good to go. Although I have been told my office can get a bit fragrant (espeically on wet days when everything is drying) but considering I work in a hospital it's far from the worst smell here. Commuting is a great way to get mileage in without taking time out from other more prioirty things, like family (no matter what Sean Kelly says).

Yeah unless it's pouring outside in the morning, I commute. I leave my work shoes at work and while I don't have panniers or a rack, I backpack my stuff in.
    I am a single father with a 10 year old daughter who obviously can't be left alone so commuting is essential to my daily exercise. On days I absolutely cannot commute I use the indoor trainer in front of the TV with a training video which is surprisingly effective...
  • Archon2
    Options
    Now that this thread is resurrected, I can see that since my last post here I have tried commuting quite a few times since. In short: the VPN solution to not lugging a laptop works but it still isn't as nice as having the machine at home. So if I anticipate a lot of take-home work, or need the laptop over the weekend, I drive that day.

As for sweaty cloths -- I have been leaving a pair of shoes or sneakers at work. I backpack a lightly rolled shirt and pants on the way in and change into them in the bathroom or an empty office after getting to work. I have had an issue of where to dry out the bike shorts and jersey though. I've been putting them behind the office door on the coat hook, but I still don't like that solution -- especially since I started sharing a new office with someone else now. The other option is to just pack it damp, and carry another set of dry bike shorts & jersey for the ride back home, along with the fresh work clothes, but that is just too much clothing to have to wash and deal with in one work day.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Pretty much what everyone has stated.... I'll add, carry cash w/you so if you want to bus part of the way home, you have correct amount. Nothing wrong with bus-cycle when you're flat out tired from an unusually hard work day. (I used to call a friend to give me a ride home once in awhile, lol). Extra power cords to charge your lights at work, too. Extra bike tubes. Definitely food. Freeze water bottles at work, too, for hot days.
    I had a locker, so locked up all, blowdryer, deodr, shower towel, extra work clothes, etc.
    Its a great way to start & end your work day. :)