Keto and the flu. Help?

Options
Certain I have the flu. Someone please help me figure out what to eat , since the BRAT diet has been my go to. (Bananas. Rice. Applesauce. Toast. ) :(

Replies

• ABrownGrl
    ABrownGrl Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Bone broth!!
  • tq33702
    tq33702 Posts: 121 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

"...What is “keto flu” and how long will I have it?

During the induction phase of a Ketogenic Diet, most people experience a horrid “flu” that often makes people believe from the start that it isn’t right for our bodies.

Consider it the first of your many trials to come. The flu is a manifestation of your mental and physical dependence on carbohydrates and the body is essentially going through a phase where it has to learn to use fat as fuel.

Keto flu can be treated by replenishing your electrolytes. (See next section.)

The flu-like symptoms should dissipate in a few days or weeks.

But be warned: For as long as you eat low-carb, if you don’t take care to get enough sodium, potassium and magnesium (a.k.a. electrolytes) in your diet, you may experience fatigue, muscle twitching, headaches, muscle cramping, and in severe cases, arrhythmia. Leg cramps may be the most common sign that your electrolytes are out of balance..."

***quote from:
    reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq#wiki_what_is_.201Cketo_flu.201D_and_how_long_will_i_have_it.3F

In addition to the BoneBroth
    mentioned by ABrownGirl,
    their Minerals recommend to
    fix is also there.

Get well soon!
    /tq
  • oyadancing
    oyadancing Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I had some GI distress a few weeks back, for about 4 days, and didn't want to get off the LC wagon. I resisted my normal go to of rice, noodle soup, and crackers, and ate sugar-free jello and pudding, and drank chicken broth, lots and lots of water, and herbal teas.

For a tad more bulk, I mixed pumpkin puree with canned unsweetened coconut milk and a little chicken broth; I also was able to eat small amounts of chicken.

Stay hydrated and rest up; feel better soon!
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Certain I have the flu. Someone please help me figure out what to eat , since the BRAT diet has been my go to. (Bananas. Rice. Applesauce. Toast. ) :(

Here is a good website for the Keto Flu:

Keto Flu” – Symptoms, Mitigation, and Getting Over Excess Carbohydrates

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    ABrownGrl wrote: »
    Bone broth!!

Chicken bone broth! :smiley:

But yeah, assuming real flu, here, bone broth, tea, and water as you can handle it. Pumpkin is also a GI miracle food, seriously.

/r/keto also suggests nut butters -- http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/comments/2782od/brat_diet_for_keto/

/r/theketodiet has a few other ideas, too -- http://www.reddit.com/r/theketodiet/comments/236jyu/stomach_bug_keto/