Starting over at stage 1 but I need a Stage 3 solution?

Options
charleigh78
charleigh78 Posts: 247 Member
I went through stage 1 and 2 earlier this year. I loved it - I mean....really, really loved it. I hit stage 3 and busted. It was so complicated and time consuming and I wasn't feeling the love at all. I switched to SL, but I don't love it at all. I am starting at Stage 1 again. What should I do when I get to Stage 3? Can I skip it? Is there a better program to move into - NROLforAbs? or something like that? Just pondering :)

Replies

• Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    What did you find complicated about it? Is stage three when the BWM and intervals start? I can't remember and don't have the book handy...
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    What did you find complicated about it? Is stage three when the BWM and intervals start? I can't remember and don't have the book handy...

This. What did you find complicated? The program is divided into Stages for a reason. If you don't like particular Stages, you can certainly skip them, but they do serve a purpose. I hated Stage 3 & 5 (they are the same). But I am glad that I completed them.
    New Rules programs are complete- the stages are designed so that you continue to get stronger and (if you so desire) gain muscle.

That being said, if you really hate it and cannot get yourself to do it, skip the stages altogether or repeat Stage 1 instead of doing Stages 3 & 5. The thing that will get you results is the thing that you will DO.
  • charleigh78
    charleigh78 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    It took me forever. I also felt like I had to constantly refer to my sheets and I still felt like I was messing up some of the exercises. I have started again at Stage 1. I think I will move through the program again and give it another try. Maybe I will make it this time. If I feel that I can't, I could switch out some of the complicated exercises with simpler ones that work the same muscles or I could skip the stage? Thanks for the thoughts.
  • Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need a week in between stages to figure out the moves, try them out and get comfortable with them. That way you can make adjustments and figure out what weights you need, adjust your form, etc. Give yourself a practice week and then when you get down to it, you won't waste as much time sorting it all out. Just an idea.
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I didn't like state 3 :s . I modified several of the moves, and when I hit stage 5 I'll modify it even further (not gonna do the single leg squats again-back to the squat rack for me). I'm not sure what the actual reason is for the progression and stages, but I'm trusting the process. Stage 4 rocks though!! And I've noticed I'm stronger in stage 4 than I was in 2, so progress has been made :).
  • loconnor466
    loconnor466 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I am just finishing stage 3 and I hated it too! But I decided to tough it out and it was as much a mental thing as a physical thing. Julie, quick question, when you started stage 4, did you start at the weight you finished stage 2?
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I did, at least for the first set. If I did all 8 reps with little problem, I upped it the next set, and even the third set. I'm definitely stronger than I was in stage 2! And even with that added set I did great! I love stage 4!!!!!
  • rebasporty
    rebasporty Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I just finished stage 2 on to stage 3...you ladies are scaring me. :)
  • tauny78
    tauny78 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm in stage 3 right now, and honestly still loving it. My first bwm was horrific , but improved the second workout. I find A more challenging, so I prefer it over B. Although I do love the intervals. What moves do you have trouble with? I agree that some are very awkward at first, but with practice get easier. I know I had to reread a few times for some. Keep trying and you'll get it. And keep in mind, it's a short stage :)