Weight loss stall- go higher fat or go on an intermittent fast?

Options
dawlfin318
dawlfin318 Posts: 227 Member
The last two weeks I have had a bit of a stall. I have not cheated the "low carb" way, but may have gone a bit above 20-25g/day of carbs. I am not familiar in how to use either of these techniques to get back on track, and I do not have ketostix (and would prefer fixing this without their use).

Please share your knowledge with me. TIA

-Dawl

Replies

• hippygirl325
    hippygirl325 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Both seem to work. I personally would try upping fat first to around or at least 80%. If that doesn't work then maybe IF.
  • embersdream
    embersdream Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    yes! me to . ok . i had a relook at the keto calculator and adjusted things majorly, not sure if its going to work yet, but im going to try that and yep mega low carb action.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I subscribe to the reddit keto mantra that a stall isn't a stall until its been a month or more, maybe even two months. If something doesn't feel right, doublecheck everything you're eating, sure, but if you're ok and you're happy with what you're eating and how you're feeling, 2 weeks is too early to freak out and try anything drastic.

I know others here regularly do major things to try to break stalls or shock the system and have found success doing so, but personally I'm going to go with KCKO as my advice :)
  • oyadancing
    oyadancing Posts: 91 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    radiii wrote: »
    I subscribe to the reddit keto mantra that a stall isn't a stall until its been a month or more, maybe even two months. If something doesn't feel right, doublecheck everything you're eating, sure, but if you're ok and you're happy with what you're eating and how you're feeling, 2 weeks is too early to freak out and try anything drastic.

radii (*)

(Forgive me if you've read me babbling about stalls somewhere else around here.) I completely understand. I have never lost steadily, week to week, that's just how my body works. For me, 2 even 3 weeks without a loss is normal. 2 months make me ponder tweaking my diet or other things in my life like water intake, sleep habits, stress.

I tend towards IF during the week, it has not resulted in speedier weight loss but I like it because it fits my schedule and ensures I don't exceed my calories.

I have not done a fat fast per se, but I'm guessing a 1000 calories per day for a few days can't help but shake some pounds loose.

Lately I've increased my fat intake (I'm calling it a pork fast LOL). I'm experiencing higher blood ketones and lower blood sugar readings, but frankly I'm not counting on faster weight loss. I do love what I'm eating, though!

Even through all my stalls, I've been steadily getting smaller. Are you measuring? Do so, weekly, write them down: Bust, underbust, natural waist, hips at widest. I bet you're shrinking even though the scale isn't moving.

TL;DR:
    Some ideas about what might be causing stalls from my favorite LCHF site, Diet Doctor:

http://www.dietdoctor.com/how-to-lose-weight

To not see the scale respond positively to what you are doing is frustrating, and can be disheartening. Be encouraged, if you are adhering to your macros *and* taking care of yourself, the weight will come off. The inches will disappear. They just will. :)
  • dawlfin318
    Options
    oyadancing wrote: »
    radiii wrote: »

radii (*)

(Forgive me if you've read me babbling about stalls somewhere else around here.) I completely understand. I have never lost steadily, week to week, that's just how my body works. For me, 2 even 3 weeks without a loss is normal. 2 months make me ponder tweaking my diet or other things in my life like water intake, sleep habits, stress.

I tend towards IF during the week, it has not resulted in speedier weight loss but I like it because it fits my schedule and ensures I don't exceed my calories.

I have not done a fat fast per se, but I'm guessing a 1000 calories per day for a few days can't help but shake some pounds loose.

Lately I've increased my fat intake (I'm calling it a pork fast LOL). I'm experiencing higher blood ketones and lower blood sugar readings, but frankly I'm not counting on faster weight loss. I do love what I'm eating, though!

Even through all my stalls, I've been steadily getting smaller. Are you measuring? Do so, weekly, write them down: Bust, underbust, natural waist, hips at widest. I bet you're shrinking even though the scale isn't moving.

TL;DR:
    Some ideas about what might be causing stalls from my favorite LCHF site, Diet Doctor:

http://www.dietdoctor.com/how-to-lose-weight

To not see the scale respond positively to what you are doing is frustrating, and can be disheartening. Be encouraged, if you are adhering to your macros *and* taking care of yourself, the weight will come off. The inches will disappear. They just will. :)

Thanks for your support! I really needed it. My sister and I will be measuring ourselves- gonna push to do it today .
  • SteveKroll
    SteveKroll Posts: 94 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I did the up and down thing for almost a month. Then last week I decided to try something completely different: I cut my carbs back a bit more (trying to stay as close as I can to 15g/day) and changed up my protein intake by consuming a little more meat and fish - even going as far as occasionally eating ribeye steak for lunch. Not anything drastic, mind you, but whereas before I was trying to limit protein to a 3-3.5 oz portion at meals, I changed it so I'm eating 4-6 ounces at a time and mostly in the form of real meat. I kept fat amounts about the same. I also cut back on cheeses and eggs a little. The result is that my weight has begun falling steadily again.

My thought here is that, while protein is protein, my body has to expend more energy to digest meat than it does dairy or eggs. Meat also helps me feel full much longer.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I would just wait this out for the whoosh effect. I regularly "stall" for 7-14 days, and then "whoosh", it starts dropping like crazy. I consider it a stall during those times if I'm stuck within the same pound up and down. Of course, I actually am one that pretty much steadily loses when not in one of those "stalls" of mine.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    What kind of deficit were you running?
  • dawlfin318
    Options
    Calorie is usually 1200-1500 per day.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    dawlfin318 wrote: »
    The last two weeks I have had a bit of a stall. I have not cheated the "low carb" way, but may have gone a bit above 20-25g/day of carbs. I am not familiar in how to use either of these techniques to get back on track, and I do not have ketostix (and would prefer fixing this without their use).

Please share your knowledge with me. TIA

-Dawl

IF, skip a day of eating. I think I mentioned on another post that I do 24 hr water fasts. But I actually skip a day of eating. So that would actually be a 36 hr fast. Drink your normal amount of water 8+ cups, be consistent with water intake, before during and after the fast.

Please try it and report back to us what happened. If this is your first water fast, please note that it isn't as bad as you think. Its always harder to do in your mind ~ than it is to do in reality.

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • ThinnerHill
    ThinnerHill Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Can someone look at my diary and tell me what I can adjuay to break my stall. I have not cheated once and now I'm stalled. I'm Up Down UP Down The Same .2 .4.6 .8 frustrating.
    It has to go!!!! I know what I'm doing is working but I need the scale to move!!!
  • DittoDan
    Options
    Can someone look at my diary and tell me what I can adjuay to break my stall. I have not cheated once and now I'm stalled. I'm Up Down UP Down The Same .2 .4.6 .8 frustrating.
    It has to go!!!! I know what I'm doing is working but I need the scale to move!!!

WOW! I don't think my diary has EVER looked that good. Especially your carb level. Can you tell us a little more about yourself?:

How much did you weigh at start?
    How much have you lost?
    Are you diabetic?
    What is your goal weight?
    Do you exercise?
    How old are you?

It helps to know these things....in order to see what's going on.

I hope this helps,

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Most all of your meat looks processed --- could be water retention?
    Also I think you could afford to have *some* veggies in there, simply for the sake of micronutrients.
  • ThinnerHill
    ThinnerHill Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Dan
    Starting weight was 214.
    I'm stalled at roughly 28 pounds lost.
    I am not diabetic. My goal is 150 for now. I just turned 37. As of February 1st I started walking 1 to 3 miles every few days as time off work permits. I know I've dropped a lot of weight in a fairly short amount of time and my body needs to adapt, but it's just stuck.

Kirkor, I do eat some vegetables. But for the sake of counting carbs I limit them to stay on goal. I eat green bell peppers, broccoli and salads. What vegetables do you recommend that are low carb?
  • DittoDan
    Options
    Dan
    Starting weight was 214.
    I'm stalled at roughly 28 pounds lost.
    I am not diabetic. My goal is 150 for now. I just turned 37. As of February 1st I started walking 1 to 3 miles every few days as time off work permits. I know I've dropped a lot of weight in a fairly short amount of time and my body needs to adapt, but it's just stuck.

Kirkor, I do eat some vegetables. But for the sake of counting carbs I limit them to stay on goal. I eat green bell peppers, broccoli and salads. What vegetables do you recommend that are low carb?

Ok, that helps. Read my post a 5 up from here. IF.

• moonius
    moonius Posts: 663 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Dr. Jason Fung believes in Keto. He has reversed type 2 diabetes in patients and they see drastic weight loss through alternate day fasting with bone broth. youtu.be/pG89j432w-Y