Anyone Pop Sorghum?

Options
anewstart22
anewstart22 Posts: 885 Member
edited January 2015 in Social Groups
It looks really good and they say the hulls aren't hard like regular popcorn. They also say the size of the popped sorghum is much smaller than regular popcorn.

myminipops.com/3-pound-bag-home-popping-sorghum/ttp://

This is a video explaining popping sorghum
https://youtube.com/watch?x-yt-cl=85114404&x-yt-ts=1422579428&v=ntfe77pS1gQ&feature=player_embedded

Replies

• arobed53
    arobed53 Posts: 2,004 Member
    Options
    We may have tried it once with some we grew. A few years back, hubby grew some miniature corn and I really like it when he pops it just cause it's small.
  • anewstart22
    Options
    What kind of corn is that you grew? And you grew sorghum? Wow, they grow sorghum here and ship it out somewhere at the end of season.
  • sannferris
    sannferris Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I remember that Lynn posted about popping it, but I don't remember if it was in a SMILE column or her own personal journal. I copied all the Serving up a Smile posts and I'll check for it. Otherwise, I can ask Lynn, either on Facebook or via email.

Oh, I can check Country Tart blog, it might be there. I remember that her family liked it.
  • anewstart22
    Options
    Yep, sannferris I saw her post on Country Tart Blog and that is what got me interested, lol. Isn't Lynn fantastic?
  • arobed53
    Options
    I don't know what kind of corn we grow - other that it makes great hog feed and the seed is not cheap. We fed the sorghum (I call it milo) but we quit growing it cause it was sometimes hard to harvest and corn is easier.
  • anewstart22
    Options
    Thank you for helping me understand sorghum and corn. I think there are certain popping corns to grow and I have not done so, I don't have the back yard space to grow corn.
  • arobed53
    Options
    As cheap as popcorn is to buy, there's not reason to have to grow it. Hubby grew it for fun - he thought maybe he'd sell the cute little ears but it didn't happen. It was made to be popcorn but it works and it wasn't too hard for him to shell it.
  • australianna
    australianna Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's like miniature popcorn. I have also cooked sorghum and mixed it with other grains. Sorghum is one of those wonder grains that contains lots of protein. It is fed to children who have been starved due to famine in 3rd world countries. Only problem is that it is not that easy to buy, I have only been able to get it on online of late unless I opt for the ground version.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    How do you pop it? We pop our popcorn kernals in a popcorn microwave bowl with a little butter. Ive read that sorgum tends to scorch.
  • anewstart22
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I understand that sorghum will burn if too many kernels are popped at the same time. They say because the sorghum is so tiny it burns easily. Here is a video on popping it in oil on the stove.

shop.justpoppin.com/Pop-Sorghum-Video-How-to-Pop-Grain-Sorghum-Seeds-Like-Popcorn-WITH-Oil_c_69.html

Here is itsy bitsy popcorn they say is great in the microwave and without oil

shop.justpoppin.com/Itsy-Bitsy-Pop-153-Tiny-Kernel-Mini-Popcorn-3-Lbs_p_149.html