Need advice re clear liquids stage

Options
SkinnyDevi
SkinnyDevi Posts: 92 Member
Happy Sunday everyone! As some of you guys know I'm just had surgery and am 6 days post-op. I've been on clear liquids since then and will be on this stage until Wednesday. I've mostly been doing a mix of water with different juices/broths (no protein) as approved by my surgeon. I was fine until yesterday when I started feeling really tired/light headed and I'm starting to feel hungry. Is this normal? Did you guys experience this? What would you advise?
-Devi

Replies

• SweetJulyRoses
    Options
    I definitely felt hungry right around the same time as you are now. But at day 7 I was allowed to go to full liquids which included cream soups which helped with the hunger. I was also drinking protein shakes as per my surgeon's program. I'm not sure what to advice, it was tough for several days there but the protein shakes helped. Are you allowed to take your vitamin? I was allowed to chew my gummie vitamins very thoroughly and I think that helped so I didn't feel too run down. Gatorade can help with electrolytes. Sorry I can't be of more help friend!
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    How are you getting in your protein? My post surgery liquid diet was heavy protein. I was putting unflavored protein powder (Unjury) into broth every day. Plus, sugar free popsicles!

You should double check with your team about what levels of calories and protein you should be hitting.

Rob
  • SkinnyDevi
    SkinnyDevi Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    rpyle111 wrote: »
    How are you getting in your protein? My post surgery liquid diet was heavy protein. I was putting unflavored protein powder (Unjury) into broth every day. Plus, sugar free popsicles!

You should double check with your team about what levels of calories and protein you should be hitting.

Rob

Hi Rob, I thought it was weird too so I called my nutritionist to check on the protein. She said no protein until I'm on full liquids on Wednesday. I will be starting my protein shakes on Wednesdays along with cream soups and other clear liquids.
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    You should feel much better once you can start adding in protein. I haven't heard of only liquids (without protein added). I was on clear liquids for a couple of days but that included broth, sf popsicles, unflavored protein powder in water with Crystal Light, etc. Hang in there!!
  • rscpjim
    rscpjim Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Wow that is interesting. We I have learned every Doctor is different ! I was drinking Protien the day after I got home from surgery. Good luck however I am sure you will be fine in a few days!
  • Shoefly318
    Shoefly318 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm 10 days out and am supposed to get 60 grams of protein just not able to but I notice when I can't do protein that day at all I don't feel right. But maybe you can try g2 or powerade zero
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Wow I was on protein shakes the day after surgery in the hospital. I couldn't get even one in though, so they made me stay an extra day, but I can't imagine not getting protein. No wonder you are tried and starting to feel hungry. I bet Wednesday can't come soon enough for you!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Shoefly318 wrote: »
    I'm 10 days out and am supposed to get 60 grams of protein just not able to but I notice when I can't do protein that day at all I don't feel right. But maybe you can try g2 or powerade zero

Isopure Zero is a water with protein. I had a hard time with the thick, sweet shakes and used a lot of this in the beginning. The best part is it counts towards both water and protein and with 40 grams per bottle, it's a win-win!

• jrnguyen
    jrnguyen Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    ^^^Yes, I highly recommend the isopure. I'm almost 5 months out and I still use it. If it's too strong you can dilute it, but you've seriously gone too long without nutrients. You will feel a million times better once you start getting some protein in.
  • Shoefly318
    Shoefly318 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thank you I just bought isopure zero a few days ago and getting in a about a half a bottle a day better than nothing stomach can take it a lot better than shakes