Options
FromHereOnOut
FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
0ppmbbsm9afx.jpg

Replies

• FromHereOnOut
    Options
    Hi all! I'm in danger of sitting on the couch today. An arctic blast is coming our way (relative for Greece), and probably I won't take lil girl out in it, which means DH will pick son up after work and take him to lesson. But hopefully DH will go to the gym during that time. He's been very stressed, restless, and weird-feeling and has not been able to figure out why or how to fix it. He (and I) thinks working out will help (hope so). Anyway, I'm doing laundry and normal daily chores and might tackle some toy-sorting :| Anyway, hoping the cold air doesn't stay long.

Hope it's a good day in everybody else's corners of the world!
  • valmaebel
    valmaebel Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Sherry - aren't new gadgets fun? What kind of running watch did you get?

I'm enjoying my Fitbit immensely. I have found that I've been underestimating my calories by a lot. Meaning, I apparently burn a lot more calories then I gave myself credit for. I do have a question I've been wondering, and that is if I'm supposed to be leaving a deficit with the Fitbit or does it do that for me? I may need to do some more research.

With three kids, and watching a fourth, I was struggling with dealing with kids all the time. I watched my neighbors kids too last week so it got overwhelming. I've also not been as firm with my kids and I finally was tired of taking 10 minutes to get from the car to the door because none of my kids will listen to me. Time to lay the smack down a bit and really start enforcing their need to actually listen to me. Mainly to keep my own sanity. :)

I got all my workouts in this past week! I'm excited to start my second week of training! This morning I have my first road bike so we'll see how that goes. I also have a swim this afternoon.

Have a wonderful Monday! Here's to a new week!
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Well, Friday evening I went a overboard with eating. I was Hungry! but I logged it all in on Saturday morning and it appears that I stayed within my calories for the week. Yeah!

My tentative plans were to do a 3 mile run on Friday and a 6 mile run on Saturday, plus a Body Conditioning class. I didn't fit in the Friday 3 miler and ate up all the 'treat' food in the house instead. Saturday morning I got up early, had a banana & peanut butter wrap, got ready, and then I was up and out and running to the 9 am class. Home by 10:30 am, but the day got complicated after that. I did get quite a few errands in and I took the dogs to the park and we walked around, but I didn't run anymore. So only did 3 miles on Saturday.

Sunday was a nice day and I meant to get out all day, but instead worked on things in the house and made 15 bean soup and more split pea soup. Finally I managed to get myself out the door, but it was so close to dark that I just did my 3.5 mile run on the rail trail with Fells.

This week starts my first week of the 12 week training program for my Half marathon. This week I have to do the 3 Mile and 6 mile runs on Friday, Saturday, and/or Sunday (as well as 3 mile runs tonight and Wednesday and a shorter & faster run on Tuesday or Thursday). My tentative plan is to get the 6 miler done and over with on Friday, then do the 3 miler on Saturday morning on the way to and from the body conditioning class.
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options
    Donna, sounds like you got a lot done this weekend even if you didn't exactly hit your running mileage. That bean soup sounds so good. DHs aunt sometimes sends us a bean soup. I think I've counted about 9 beans, but anyway--delish!

val, you are off to a great start. I wish I could say that I burn more than I had thought, but the scale is being very rough on me lately. :'( Do you know if the Fitbit factors heartrate into the calorie calculation or not? It's so cool what they can pack into that wristwatch! The watch I got is Garmin Fenix 2. I think they will sell the Fenix3 in a few weeks (which is supposed to be awesome) but I got a good deal on this used (but only used a half a dozen times). It's basically a tactical watch and good for all kinds of activities that I'll probably never do. But like you say, new gadgets are fun! Your kid situation sounds familiar. I tell mine that it's about time to hit the reset button...that's when all the stuff that distracts them suddenly gets packed away so they'll start listening again. Then as they get back on the right path, gradually nintendos and stuff make their way back frm hiding, but it sometimes takes awhile.

So it's gotten cold here and I stayed home and put away a big suitcase worth of girl clothes that DH brought from US that I'd been dreading doing (but not dreading as much as toy sorting). Laundry, kitchen, dinner and all the usual. DH didn't go to gym :\ yet
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Val I sent you a message about Fitbit & calories. I've been a Fitbit user for nearly 3 years now so feel free to hit me up with questions.

Sherry your new Garmin sounds very cool! Mine is a running one but I've also been able to use it on the bike (it imports it as running but then I switch it within Garmin Connect) and within the gym (there's a setting to turn off GPS & just use a timer & HR).

Speaking of, I found my Garmin gave me a much higher calorie burn for my trainer sessions than my Fitbit does - like double. But my runs have a comparable burn. They both just go by HR, but it seems like my HR shows higher on my Garmin for those workouts than my Fitbit does. My Garmin seems to give me a pretty high HR for my trainer workouts considering what I'm doing. One of these days I'll have to wear them at the same time & see how they compare. I've done that for cardio sessions but not strength training. Maybe we just haven't been doing as much cardio during my sessions lately so I'm not comparing apples to apples.

Donna you had a very productive weekend! How many times a week does your plan have you running? And do you like that? I used the Hal Higdon novice plan & only ran 3 days a week, which is the most I had time for. I even found a full marathon training plan on Runner's World where I'm running 3x a week, using cross-training & strength training to supplement.

So C25K tonight and then legs & core with Jason. Legs felt a little tired during the run, but it was okay.