Logging exercise with FitBit Charge HR

Options
Hello all. I've just purchased a new FitBit Charge HR, and connected it up with MyFitnessPal.

Each day I'm getting a FitBit calorie adjustment, which is fine, but I'm wondering about logging specific exercise (mostly Zumba) and how this will affect the daily adjustment. Each time I do a class, I use the Exercise mode to get the data.

Should I log the specific exercise and details in MFP, or will it double account it?

TIA!

Replies

• ae92jay
    ae92jay Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Food, water intake on mfp, exercise on fitbit. The food, water intake will transfer to fitbit, same as any weight adjustments done on mfp.

Your total exercise for the day will transfer over from fitbit to mfp. So you really don't need to track your exercise on mfp.

I now use both apps lol!

It took me a week to adjust not logging my exercise on mfp. I like the website over the app for fibit!

If you have any other questions just send me a message. I have the charge hr as well.
  • cequirke
    Options
    Thanks 2zzjay, that really helps! I've found the section in fitbit where I can change the name of the 'workout' to whatever I want.

I think it will take a little getting used to, but much more accurate that my old guessing game!
  • ae92jay
    Options
    After you get adjusted I think you will like it :smile:

Another tip! turn of the hrm on the charge when not needed! I have done that and I have gotten over 7 days battery life. Tomorrow I will probably have to charge my fitbit.
  • lanuit281
    lanuit281 Posts: 2
    edited February 2015
    Options
    my fitbit charge HR is suppose to arrive on Tuesday so i have been trying to read up on how to link every thing. the directions had said that if i do a work on such as elliptical tanning i should report my start time on MFP are you saying don't bother with that, or should i still do it. im thinking it will be easier to understand when i actuly have my fitbit. Im just trying to research as much as i can so i get the most out of it. @2zzjay‌
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    The purpose of the HRM devices is to remove the need to worry about non-step based workouts.

Don't have to log anything but weight lifting - because HRM will inflate those calories actually.

And as mentioned above - log on Fitbit, as they use the database of exercises better.
  • ThintasticSpirit
    ThintasticSpirit Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Don't have to log anything but weight lifting - because HRM will inflate those calories actually.

I am thinking about getting the Charge HR specifically for this purpose. (More accuracy on calories burned during non-step activities like weight training.) So why do you feel the HRM is inflating the calories burned? Please and thank you!
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    On the FitBit community site there is a lot of discussion about whether or not the HR actually counts your HR in the calories burned.

If you manually enter an exercise it shows the same amount of calories burned as the Workout mode, so it appears that HR isn't being counted, BUT if you go to the dashboard and look at the HR chart you can clearly see where the extra calories are being accounted for.
    I think what happened is FitBit is counting them, but just in two different spots.

Does that make sense?
  • ae92jay
    Options
    lanuit281 wrote: »
    my fitbit charge HR is suppose to arrive on Tuesday so i have been trying to read up on how to link every thing. the directions had said that if i do a work on such as elliptical tanning i should report my start time on MFP are you saying don't bother with that, or should i still do it. im thinking it will be easier to understand when i actuly have my fitbit. Im just trying to research as much as i can so i get the most out of it. @2zzjay‌

I will play around with this today, see how it shows up on mfp/fitbit. From reading other threads lots of other users track exercise on fibit, the total amount of exercise will transfer over to mfp at the end of the night.

You also have to make sure time zone is the same on both apps, plus make sure your mfp set to sedentary. Any more questions just sent me a message
  • ae92jay
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Just tired it, missed up my fitbit calcualtion on mfp for saturday after messing with start times on mfp.

So for me I will go back to what I have been doing. What others have been doing and only logging exercise on fitbit site/app. Total calories burned will transfer back to mfp at the end of the day.
  • kuranda10
    Options
    The FitBit exercise transfers to MFP throughout the day.
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    cequirke wrote: »
    Thanks 2zzjay, that really helps! I've found the section in fitbit where I can change the name of the 'workout' to whatever I want.

Actually, for now, do not, I repeat, DO NOT, change the name of your workout using the FitBit Dashboard. There is a bug. You may be able to get away with it if you exercise in the morning, but if you exercise in the afternoon and then change the name of the workout, it changes the time to AM from PM and uses whatever data was logged at that time (i.e. sleeping). They're working on a fix but it is taking a lot longer than I would expect for some reason.

If you use the iPhone app (I have an Android), you may be able to change it with that. I have an Android, but I think I saw someone say they could change the workout name on their iPhone without having it get messed up.
  • vxmittyxv
    vxmittyxv Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I track workouts in fitbit but I don't put a workout note in myfitness pal just for reference.
  • GlobalhawkDE
    GlobalhawkDE Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your comments! I put them on my blogpost so that I have a central note for myself, http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/GlobalhawkDE/view/fitbit-charge-hr-ordered-729280
  • heybales
    Options

I am thinking about getting the Charge HR specifically for this purpose. (More accuracy on calories burned during non-step activities like weight training.) So why do you feel the HRM is inflating the calories burned? Please and thank you!

Not me, just a fact.

The only correlation between HR and calories burned is aerobic exercise, where the HR must increase to provide more oxygen to burn more fat/carbs.
    With a few stats, or guestimating those stats, you can decently calculate calorie burn based on HR. Though, even there, there are several expected reasons for inflated HR during aerobic exercise that leads to inflated calorie burn too. And if the stats aren't correct, usually inflated also.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/459580-polar-hrm-calorie-burn-estimate-accuracy-study

But lifting, and intervals, if done right, is anaerobic, not aerobic. The increase in HR is not for the reasons if increased oxygen for burning fuel, in fact what you use doesn't even require oxygen to burn. And as you stand there recovering between sets, with a high HR slowly coming down, it's totally elevated for how much effort is really required to just stand or sit there.
    Probably normal HR standing is 70-80. But after that lift for 1-3 min, it's drifting slowly down from 160 say to almost reaching 100. So that entire time it's higher than actually needed for the calories being burned just standing there.
    And the 1 minute during the exercise up at 160 or higher say, again isn't related to the need for increased oxygen.
  • heybales
    Options
    kuranda10 wrote: »
    On the FitBit community site there is a lot of discussion about whether or not the HR actually counts your HR in the calories burned.

If you manually enter an exercise it shows the same amount of calories burned as the Workout mode, so it appears that HR isn't being counted, BUT if you go to the dashboard and look at the HR chart you can clearly see where the extra calories are being accounted for.
    I think what happened is FitBit is counting them, but just in two different spots.

Does that make sense?

No.

If you go and create an activity record for that start and end time, it pulls the stats out from the daily stats for just that block and displays them.

If you pushed the button to create an activity record you did exactly the same thing.

If you both, they should match if you manually entered the correct time.

Now, go and Log Activities, where you provide start and duration time, and either enter your own calories as option, or leave whatever Fitbit came up with.

Well, if you don't manually enter your own - of course what Fitbit keeps is going to match.
  • heybales
    Options
    NancyN795 wrote: »

Actually, for now, do not, I repeat, DO NOT, change the name of your workout using the FitBit Dashboard. There is a bug. You may be able to get away with it if you exercise in the morning, but if you exercise in the afternoon and then change the name of the workout, it changes the time to AM from PM and uses whatever data was logged at that time (i.e. sleeping). They're working on a fix but it is taking a lot longer than I would expect for some reason.

If you use the iPhone app (I have an Android), you may be able to change it with that. I have an Android, but I think I saw someone say they could change the workout name on their iPhone without having it get messed up.

That's been that way for over a year - I don't think it's a bug.

When you edit a routine, the time just goes back to am. Merely need to remember to change it back to pm.
    And that's true no matter what you edit.

Also, if you are changing the name of an activity record, which is merely viewing the stats for the block of time - no big deal. You'll just be viewing the wrong time and stats.

And there is no way to change the name of a Logged workout, the name is whatever the activity was, like spin, or biking, ect. Those are the ones that editing and not correcting am back to pm could cause extra calories since you likely entered a calorie burn.
  • ae92jay
    Options

I workout in the morning. Iphone app working okay. But thanks for the heads up!
  • kuranda10
    Options
    kuranda10 wrote: »

Does that make sense?

No.

If you go and create an activity record for that start and end time, it pulls the stats out from the daily stats for just that block and displays them.

If you pushed the button to create an activity record you did exactly the same thing.

If you both, they should match if you manually entered the correct time.

Now, go and Log Activities, where you provide start and duration time, and either enter your own calories as option, or leave whatever Fitbit came up with.

Well, if you don't manually enter your own - of course what Fitbit keeps is going to match.

If what you say is true, then FitBit did lie to us about counting HR in the activities. Because the Activity mode shows the same calorie burn for activities that I manually logged (after I washed my One) weeks before I got the HR.
    But if I go look at the HR chart for that same time period, it does show more calories burned.
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options

That's been that way for over a year - I don't think it's a bug.

When you edit a routine, the time just goes back to am. Merely need to remember to change it back to pm.
    And that's true no matter what you edit.

Also, if you are changing the name of an activity record, which is merely viewing the stats for the block of time - no big deal. You'll just be viewing the wrong time and stats.

And there is no way to change the name of a Logged workout, the name is whatever the activity was, like spin, or biking, ect. Those are the ones that editing and not correcting am back to pm could cause extra calories since you likely entered a calorie burn.

Actually, no, this is a brand new bug. I believe it started near the end of January, 2015. Here's a link to a thread on the FitBit help forums:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Fitbit-com-Dashboard/Automatic-Activity-log-issue/m-p/654338#U654338

These are activities that I log by holding the button on my FitBit. Afterwards, the only option I'm given is to edit the name of the activity. Once. After that, there is no option to edit at all (the only change I can make is to delete the activity) and there is never an option to edit the start time, end time, calories or duration of the activity. I miss having that ability, which used to be there. (Mostly because I sometimes forget the hold the button to end the activity when I should.)

I think it is different if I manually enter an activity, without pressing the button. (I rarely do it this way.) Then, I can edit it, I think, but I have to keep an eye on it changing the date and/or time. Yes, I just tested it, and that gives me the "old style" activity record and I can go back and edit it if I want.
  • Lieslll
    Lieslll Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Interesting Discussion. I am new at this and I have been letting fitbit exercise calories pass over to MFP without recording specific exercise work-outs.
    Can you tell me if I am missing out on accurate information by doing this? Should I change my approach?
    Thank You :)