Frustrations of Logging

Options
Am I the only one that feels like you log your day and get the message "if everyday were like today you'd weigh XXX in 5 weeks." It's telling me I'll lose 6 lbs in 5 weeks. Seriously?? Eating less than 1200 calories?? Just really hard to stay motivated..... Just wondering if anyone feels like that and what keeps you going. Also wondering from those of you that believe you can eat TOO FEW calories, what evidence can you give me that will help me change my thought process. Cuz I'll tell ya, my brain has just been forced to think that the less you eat, the more you'll lose.

Replies

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    The less you eat, the more you'll lose.

The question is: is a number on a scale the most important thing? Does it reflect your health, your overall fitness? Does it tell you whether you're flabby or toned and how your butt looks in those jeans? Does it show that you feel energized and focused or cranky and tired?

For me, I've found it much easier to stay focused since I found a rate of loss that is slow enough to let me live my life happily and well while I'm losing weight.
  • wannabthin1831
    wannabthin1831 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    One day at a time one good choice at a time. As we age our hormones play in so what worked in our 20s doesn't work any more. Everything I've ever read says the max weekly loss for sustained healthy weight loss is 2 lbs per week. Any fads you see promising more than that are going to get regained instantly when you stop what it is you did.
  • beachbum4044
    beachbum4044 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I try not to pay attention to that message too much. The scale is not my ultimate goal, the fit of my clothes, the loss of inches and having a more toned appearance is what matters more. I am the only one that sees the number on the scale, but I feel the tightness/looseness of my clothes and that can be seen by others. Body measurements are something I have put more faith in. The fit of my clothes and the measurements are more true and accurate tools to show the work that I have put in. As long as I log my foods and have that accountability it is easier to make the better choices.

Just be sure you are eating enough and that you are working toward 1.5-2 lb per week that is a healthy rate. It is more realistic and sustainable. Hang in there and don't let that message get you down.
  • wannabthin1831
    wannabthin1831 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have seen that logging doesske me think before I put stuff in my mouth!!!
  • emilymean
    emilymean Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don't hit that button anymore, when I'm done I'm done.
  • tjcuts339
    tjcuts339 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Yes it is very difficult to predict accurate weight loss but as posted above it makes you aware of what you are consuming daily. Verses exercise that takes away from total calories consumed. The scale tells you exactly where you are more accurate. But it is a handy tool,,
  • runmama411
    runmama411 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    A healthy weight loss is one where you lose .5 to 2 pounds a week. If you are losing at this rate, I'd say you are successful. I think 1200 calories is something you'll have to play by ear. Sometimes, eating too little will kick in a plateau or your body will be prepping for a fast period and holding on to fat stores for energy. If you are especially active, you may need to up your calories.
  • farmergirl1974
    Options
    While the "in 5 weeks" message can sometimes be less than motivational, sometimes it gives me just what I need. I'm in maintenance mode now but logged religiously for 9 months losing 80 pounds. Like many others have said, the number on the scale is just a number. I wanted to be more fit and see smaller sizes regardless of weight but the number on the scale helped me track my progress. Ultimately, I couldn't be happier with the choice I made to use myfitnesspal. I look and feel better than I have in years.
  • vvallentyne
    vvallentyne Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am the opposite I love the message of weight loss in 5 weeks. It is one of my main motivating factors. I daydream of a thinner month next month and I plug away at learning to eat healthy and make better choices.