Binge Eater

Options
Does anyone else find that upping calories tends to make you want to binge more? I feel very alone with this....I dieted for years and now am 50 pounds overweight and I am trying to eat 2,000 calories daily as suggested by the calculators (TDEE is 2450)...but it's almost like I binge anyway, I can't seem to eat healthy anymore at all. Very confusing! I want to eat healthy and lift but I also don't want to look like a female bodybuilder, just a toned smaller version of me. I'm all over the map...any advice out there about how to eat healthy without that also turning into a binge? No matter the calories, for me, healthy eating period feels like a diet, thus turning into a binge...frustrated!!

Replies

• Jennbecca33
    Jennbecca33 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    What kinds of foods are you craving? Are you eliminating groups of foods like sugar or carbs or something else because you think it's "bad"? Sometimes this can trigger those cravings which can lead to binges. Best to have whatever types of foods you want in moderation to counter this. Could that be the issue? Usually when allowing yourself to eat more food, it really helps to keep the binging at bay...unless you're restricting foods that you really love for the sake of eating completely "healthy" or "clean".
  • butterbear1980
    butterbear1980 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm a recovered binge eater and I know how hard it is to eat consistently.

It sounds like you are labeling food "healthy" and "not healthy".

Eat what makes you feel good that tastes good to you that fits into your calorie and macro goals. And do it everyday. Eat that 1/2 c or 1 c of icecream and know it's not healthy or not healthy it's beautiful wonderful food. Add a sensible weightlifting program to the mix and a year from now you will have incredible results.

One thing about logging food, and logging EVERYTHING is that it makes it easy to see patterns and stay consistent. At it's best, logging can be a form of mindfulness, at it's worst it can be a compulsive habit and a way to beat yourself up for not being "healthy". Realizing that you can't fall off the wagon because THERE IS NO WAGON is hugely empowering.

If you are having troubles with bingeing you may want to seek out counceling, start journaling, and try really really hard to be consistent.

And...No worries looking like a female body builder. I am VERY interested in building muscle and am willing to gain weight and lift heavy attempting to get it and, trust me,...it's really hard for women to gain muscle!

You can do this!

• sjohnson7492
    sjohnson7492 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm not sure I really believe yet but I'm willing to try! I will take your suggestions to heart and appreciate them. I've been a binge eater for so long I don't know consistency. I love this mindset in this group though :)
  • butterbear1980
    butterbear1980 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    consistency is key and be kind to yourself on the days it doesn't happen because i takes time to break the binge cycle. be as kind to yourself as you would be to a friend. you can do this!
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I'm a CBT therapist and part of this group. If you don't want to do therapy (and I do suggest it), then this book is fabulous (I'm posting the US version but it's in many other forms/places too): http://www.amazon.com/Overcoming-Eating-Disorders-Cognitive-Behavioral-Binge-Eating/dp/0195311698/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1423403950&sr=8-2&keywords=cbt+for+binge+eating

Or you can do the CBT self-help from this website: http://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/selfhelp.htm
    It's really important to work on the mental aspect of binging and restriction.
  • Farmgirlfit85
    Farmgirlfit85 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I just had this problem today! I was allowing myself to eat more, and I sure did! Mostly healthy food but quite a few chips.