Upping calories and underreporting

Options
I read that most people are under reporting their calories by at least 2-300 per day. Even dietitians were guilty of this. I'm pretty religious about weighing and tracking my food, but if I'm upping my cals, and under reporting am I going to lose the weight?

Replies

• Jennbecca33
    Jennbecca33 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    If you're being careful to weigh/measure foods appropriately, you really shouldn't under report or over report too much - and it averages out. Probably most people that under report aren't weighing and are skimping on portions subconsciously.
  • Farmgirlfit85
    Farmgirlfit85 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    By under reporting, I mean showing a lower calorie count than actually consumed.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Look at those studies - not people using MFP or similar with best practices.

Free form logging. Trying to remember at night what was eaten all day, totally estimating quantity.
    Study on nutritionists was their estimate of serving size by weight or eyeing the volume.
    Great video on volume compared to weighing on several items that add up quickly.

Just shows you weigh everything but liquids. Then you won't have that 200-300 gap between logged and reality.
  • Farmgirlfit85
    Options
    That's comforting thank you! Also, i just started this today and I tried to gradually increase my calories to 1650, but ended up going to nearly 2000. Should I try to maintain a gradual increase, or just jump up to the higher calorie count? Female 29, 62 inches, 154.4 lbs work out 3-5 hrs per week
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    It's all what you are comfy with - you may gain some water weight or feel bloated by jumping up quickly and that can freak people out. But if you feel okay with the jump, and can handle the mental exercise of dealing with a temporary weight gain, then go for it!
  • nineateseven
    nineateseven Posts: 65 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Those studies really are a generalization. If you talk to a lot of people who are trying to "diet", you'll find out that most eyeball portions and usually don't write anything down until the end of the day or even a day later... and that's if they're recording at all. Even with the dietitians, I think there's probably an element of, "I'm a dietitian, of course I know what a serving of (whatever) looks like." If you're measuring, weighing, and logging consistently, those studies really don't apply to you.

Honestly, I think a lot of it for those people is a combination of under-estimating earlier in the day and overcompensating later in the day. I see my husband do this all the time (not a big deal, but a good example). He'll just throw stuff together earlier in the day and doesn't realize he's way under his caloric needs. Then in the evening, he piles on extra portions because he feels like he needs more protein, and that's usually true. But when he does that, he is usually feeling so hungry and run down that he significantly overshoots and ends up over his calories by the end of the day. That happens to a lot of people who try to keep low calorie diets. Even with people who are logging, I see diaries where people have super low calories early in the day and then overcompensate at night.

More recently with my husband, he's started realizing I'm not trying to be a total control freak when I unpack his lunch bag and check the weights of his snacks. I end up adding more food to almost everything 99% of the time. He said he hasn't had any migraines since we've been more diligent about that, he isn't tired at the end of the day, and because he doesn't have the urge to overcompensate in the evening, his weight is coming off even though he doesn't do much exercise. His portions earlier in the day might look like "under reporting" to someone who doesn't know the weights/measures, but it's accurate for him and that is helping him lose weight. Hope that's encouraging :)
  • Farmgirlfit85
    Options
    That's great! I'm guilty of the over indulging at night. Regardless of what I ate earlier. Second day of increasing my calories and I'm feeling out of control. I've eaten tortilla chips, chocolate chips, and a cupcake. And still hungry. I will admit it's probably close to TOM. But I'm frustrated about my lack of control.
  • Farmgirlfit85
    Options
    *plus eating a full breakfast and lunch earlier.
  • skinny4me2be
    skinny4me2be Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    One thing I am trying is to make sure I have a vegetable (half my plate) protein (quarter of my plate) and the other quarter a starch. It's been trial and error. Some days are more veggies and others it's more protein.....but it seems to make me feel more full and less out of control. Just a tidbit on what I am learning....
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Farm - it's okay to eat a full breakfast, lunch and have what you ate. Just remember that you are trying to increase your calories so you're going to start getting hungry (metabolism revving up). Make sure you have good stuff on hand as well as treats. Even on a cut I'm still eating some chocolate or something else I love pretty much every day. But I pre-plan it. Maybe you should think about pre-planning your day's intake and write it in MFP...then you'll see if you have extra calories for a treat that day!
  • Farmgirlfit85
    Options
    Babylon: thank you for that. It seems like nothing will satisfy this hunger. I am also going to focus on more protein, and not strictly calories. I need something new to focus on! This will probably help with hunger too. I actually did Pre log some of my meals for today! I've done it before and it has helped. Thanks for the tips!
  • Farmgirlfit85
    Options
    I also need to remember that my ultimate goal is to have a healthier relationship with food (and myself), so I don't feel the need to binge when I'm presented with sweets and treats!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    Options
    Well, as long as you're consistent, you can still find your number through trial and error. It just might be 300 lower than what you expect, right?
  • nineateseven
    Options
    Yes to protein!! And fats, too :) Carbs are burned pretty quickly by your body, so it's easy to crash and feel super hungry soon after eating a carbohydrate-based meal or snack. While it might feel healthier to eat a banana, a serving of cheese might help you feel better for the same number of calories. A few weeks ago, I kept thinking, "I'm hungry and it's not time for a snack yet. I should have some fruit!" Fruit is mostly carbs, and I'd feel hungry again so quickly it drove me crazy. I finally "gave in" one day and had a piece of cheese. It was nothing short of miraculous. Suddenly my brain was shooting off happy chemicals like, "Thank you! That's what we needed!!" Checking your macro ratios can help guide you in figuring out what might help trigger that feeling of satiety. Sometimes you might need protein, and other times you might need fats. You may also need to eat more frequently. I've heard recommendations for people to eat every 3 hours. I do best if I eat every 2.5 hours... possibly because I'm so short that I might as well be a Hobbit. ((runs off to change meal names to add "second breakfast" and "elevensies"))
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Suggestion - if really getting hungry that often, I'd still check the macro's in what you just ate, still sounds like low blood sugar, which is usually a result of insulin spike, which of course is over-reaction to eating carbs either first, or too many of them, in prior meal/snack.

And it's not the burning off of the carbs, it's the problem that being in a diet all your normal muscle carb stores are always in a semi-depleted state to some degree, so there is always room to store more. And that happens faster when in a diet, and after a meal when insulin is going to go up anyway.

Meal frequency and timing as factors by themselves have shown to have no bearing on weight loss, merely personal adherence if needed. Which can be powerful.
    But constant meals keeps your body out of fat burning mode, because insulin is always elevated, meaning fat release is disabled.
    With a deficit, the end result is the same eventually, but still.
  • Farmgirlfit85
    Options
    So the past couple of days I have decided to focus on upping my protein. I told myself to not focus on strictly calories. To my surprise, the first day I did this, not only did I feel satisfied, but I also hit all of my macro and micro nutrients! I did not feel the need to binge eat, and I was content. Today I allowed myself to enjoy treats, and went a bit over board, but I know this feeling will pass, and I will get back on track.
    I love my new friends from this forum, the attitude feels much more positive than restrictive dieting, and I feel like I can enjoy my food and feel full again. I do have moments where I desire instant results, but I would much rather enjoy life and not regret the things I eat than having a slim body instantaneously!
    Thanks everyone!
  • nineateseven
    Options
    Yay!! So exciting for you!! Keep reminding yourself that fast weight loss is not the same as fat loss. People who lose weight fast on crash diets and cardio are losing water, glycogen stores, fat, and muscle. Short term gain, long term loss... or maybe short term weight loss, long term weight gain? Some phrases get really confusing when you try to use them in the context of weight goals! Regardless, you're doing a great job!