Goal dilemma

Options
shballa
shballa Posts: 133 Member
About 50 pounds ago, I told myself that if I lost 100 pounds I would get myself a good cell phone. Right now I have a cheap prepaid-plan phone. But now 100 pounds is only 1 pound away, and I'm having second thoughts about spending the money. On one hand I keep telling myself that if I don't give myself the reward, I am just doing what I always did and what likely led to me gaining so much weight in the first place - not putting myself first in my life. But I really hate to spend that much money. But I could use the phone. What to do? What to do?

Replies

• ScrAgnX
    ScrAgnX Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    If you promised yourself a reward, you should reward yourself. If you can't afford the reward you had in mind, maybe an alternate could be thought of or the delivery could be postponed.

It's my opinion that if I short change myself, after telling myself that I'm going to do something, that I'm more disappointed than if someone else lets me down.
  • KimWW
    KimWW Posts: 301 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Do you REALLY BELIEVE you deserve the reward? There could be self esteem issues keeping you from rewarding yourself. I don't know you, nor am I a psychologist or anything.
    What would you spend the money on if not the phone? If you need it to pay rent, then please do the responsible thing. If you have changed your mind about what sort of reward you want, get something else. But if you feel like rewarding yourself is a waste...figure out why that is.

I think 100 is HUGE and you deserve a reward you can afford and that you really want. Go for it!
  • WVMountainMamma
    WVMountainMamma Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Reward yourself! Your phone will be a daily reminder of your progress!
  • shballa
    shballa Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I bought the phone. I realized that I wouldn't think twice about getting it for one of my daughters or my husband, so I should treat myself the same way. I shopped around a lot and got a decent deal.
  • ShannonTourne
    ShannonTourne Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Good for you, shballa! 100 pounds is amazing, and you earned that reward! :)
  • eczarnecki
    eczarnecki Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Shballa, You earned it and I hope you enjoy it!
  • ScrAgnX
    ScrAgnX Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I'm glad that you were able to find a way to reward yourself; it's an awesome achievement and the celebration is well deserved.