confess your gym gaffes . . .

Options

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    not exactly a gym gaffe, but gym related. it's been raining hard most of this week and today when i got to work about 10 minutes was all it took for me to realise my shoes have passed the point of acceptability in nice company. even stuffed into the first plastic bag i could find and sealed shut they were making their presence known.

not that these people are nice, but i have nothing concrete against the banana woman who shares my office. the shoes are now in the sink, soaking in a borax/hot water solution. they can stay there all night and just think about what they think they're up to.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I keep my key in my gym bag that has all my lifting stuff. If I'm doing cardio though it totally goes in my bra. I thought I was the only one!

So I practice 5:2 fasting and due to my schedule had to train yesterday on a fast day. It tends to make me a little dumb. My first working set I also forgot to put a 2.5 on one side of the bar, and didn't even notice until I was watching the video? What?! It was OHP too. lol. For a few sets I had my phone set up to record behind the squat rack so I could watch for elbow flare/arms going up evenly. I pressed record then when I was moving to get into position I hit the back of my head super hard on the bar, but for some reason was embarrassed over my clumsiness so just played like nothing happened and did my set. I have a delay on the start of the videos so you can't see me hitting my head just many grimaces during the reps.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    I was pumped I had lats too. Never felt em before. Guess I finally did the pull down correctly.

I was in the locker room today putting my clothes back on after my workout. Call me gross but I don't shower after lifting. I wear deodorant and don't usually get super sweaty or anything. Well today I was a bit sweaty and I wore a camisole with the boob shelf in lieu of a proper bra under my sweater. I was trying to get it on but it stuck to my skin and rolled tightly. I was trying to pull it down but it was just boobs flying everywhere. I got so winded fighting my shirt I had to sit down and take a breather and figure this out. Recollected, I got it on and finished dressing. I then stood in front of the fan before absconding. It was a shame no one saw that ridiculous scene so I figured I'd share.
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Hahaha, oh my goodness. I'm usually a lurker in here (sorry, hi - I've been a member forever but off and on with the program, and MFP, so. Yeah), but I just had to comment for that last story, MissHoliday. I am SO glad I'm not the only one that has problems like that in the locker room. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've experienced the exact scene you described, down to the boobs flying everywhere. ;)

Not related to lifting, but I also once struggled to put my swimsuit on in the morning. I stared at it like I'd never seen it before (I had. It was my swimsuit that I'd had for months). For some reason, I couldn't remember if the straps crossed at my back, or front, or... what? I tried unsuccessfully to get into it three times before I remembered how it worked. I think I'll blame lack of coffee for that one...
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    Glad I'm not the only one! Swimsuits are the worst (those that are actually used for swimming, not laying on the beach reading bad romance novels). Back when I swam regularly, I ordered one online because it was winter and stores didn't have them in stock. I ordered according to my measurements but it was a bit snug. It took all my cardiovascular effort to get that thing on. I changed in the shower stall because people would have seen parts of me that I haven't seen.
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    nancy274 wrote: »
    So as i was getting dressed today after my shower I realized that I forgot to pack pants... so I had to put on my sweaty leggings back on. Then because I have no shame and I justified that this was Friday, I went to work instead of going home to change.

This has happened to me too, but sadly it wasn't just pants...it was underpants. Do what ya gotta do sometimes! I didn't have time to go home and change. Oh well, not the end of the world, just took a shower when I got home and changed into fresh undies and jammies
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    While I stay away from the gym I do go running at lunch quite often. Today I forgot to bring a sports bra. I have itty bitty titties and I don't sweat too much running in the winter (plus no meetings and both my office mates are offsite this afternoon I figured meh don't need it.
    Oh I needed it. I have chaffed my poor nips soooo bad. I will never do that again. :disappointed:
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Last week I was totally distracted by wedding-planning drama and unintentionally added 50lbs more than I was supposed to for my deadlift. I picked it up and wondered if I had lost all strength I ever had, put it down to pant and fret, picked it up again, put it down and tried one last time to pick it up before I gave up. I was pulling into my driveway before I figured out what I had done. 175 is WAY HARDER than 125. LOL I'm glad I didn't hurt myself.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I will admit I never shower at the gym. If I go before work then I make sure I'm done with at least an hour or more before I need to be at work so I can shower at home. Most of the time I go after work so I get home after midnight anyways. I prefer showering at home and since I usually just go straight home after the gym, not much of an issue.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    @ Llamapants86 eeeww I'm sorry about your nips. That's awful and something I wouldn't even think of happening!

@ChristiH4000 at least you did it! Seems you're stronger than you might think :-)

@DawnEmbers I agree. I don't do mornings so I don't go before work but if I go after, I just head home instead of carting all my cleaning agents and equipment with me and if I go during lunch, I just don't have the time to lift and shower and drive back. Exception is when I swam regularly at my work in the evenings. I would take a long hot shower after and it was glorious.

• WillRun4Wine79
    WillRun4Wine79 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    One morning I went to a water aerobics class and realized when I got there that I only had a toddler sized Disney Princess towel with me. Needless to say, it didn't cover much to and from the pool.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    hah. i've got all you guys knocked (vicariously).

last month i passed a mother on her way out of the rec centre while i was on my way in. she was dragging one of those giant closet-on-wheels things that are apparently what you need if you're a hockey player, clutching a stick and car keys in the opposite hand. . . and saying out loud to anyone who felt like stopping to hear her: 'i forgot the kid!'
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    This is an old story, but all this talk about forgetting things reminded me --

I was meeting a friend at a spin or yoga or whatever class, and it was early enough that I tried the old "wear your workout clothes as PJs so you can just get up and go!" trick. About halfway through my drive, I realized I'd forgotten to put on my sports bra. I didn't have time to go home, so I ended up buying one at the little shop at the studio -- and it totally sucked at supporting anything. I think that's the only time I ever wore it, too. :(
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Anyone else forget to take the safety clip things off before benching? Man, the amount of times I've done that you'd think I'd learn

Thank god for lifting at home
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    psych101 wrote: »
    Anyone else forget to take the safety clip things off before benching? Man, the amount of times I've done that you'd think I'd learn

Thank god for lifting at home

I did that the other day when I was squatting. I had been playing around with bar placement and thumb vs thumbless grips. I went to lift the bar off the stands and thought it felt different. I proceeded and then the stands started to collapse inward a bit...Needless to say, I put the bar back down and got away as quickly as possible :s
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I think the only thing I've used those safety clips on is deadlift. On the rare occasion for squat but usually I just leave them off.

Unhappy stomach can make for a long feeling gym session. I don't know why my stomach was unhappy last night but it was for my entire workout. I'll admit, a tiny bit of gas happened during a set of deadlifts (man the 15 reps per set is hard) and someone wasn't far away using the leg press. Luckily it was small.

I do find I am less self-conscious at the gym now. Months ago it might have been mortifying. Now? I just kept lifting. Same with my shirt creeping up during lifts. Before, I would adjust my shirt whenever benching or what not to make sure no skin would show. Few days ago during OHP it lifted too high but I just kept going. hmmm
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I had my gaffe this morning. I was coming to the end of mt 5x5 programme, ending with a deadlift. So I'm loading up the bar (at home) to be 65lb. I have some plates that have lbs and kgs on them so I am calculating how much I need to put on then I go to lift. It was incredibly heavy but I lifted it anyway. It wasn't until I was taking the plates off I realised that I had put too much on. I thought I put on 3x10lb and 2.5lb on each side. 4 of those plates were actually 10kg , which comes to 88lb. Duh :#
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    @Graceious -- I have to check my math 4-5 times on every lift. Not exaggerating! :)
  • canadianlbs
    edited March 2015
    Options
    conversational fail, from two sides:

me: hanging from the bar of the smith machine, stretching my shoulders and mid-back again.
    not-totally-random guy, walking past: TICKLE TICKLE TICKLE [the gesture, not the actual move]
    me: that's dangerous.
    him: grovelling apology and tons of reassurance that he never, ever, at any time would ever *really?* do such a thing.
    me: well, uh; that wasn't quite what i meant, but anyway, i know. no harm done.
    him: *wanders off*
    me: *tries again* actually, i wasn't seriously accusing you of anything. i was just trying to point out that if you tickled me i might kick.
    him, in succession: *lightbulb* *flinch* *laugh*

okay, so we did each finally manage to crowbar our own joke into the other one's mental airspace, but still. i think stuff like this speaks for itself as the reason why i never flirt.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Totally forgot to move my head during OHP over the weekend - whacked myself in the chin...yup