Discouraged about thyroid

Options
abaldi0506
abaldi0506 Posts: 78 Member
OK, so I'm alittle discouraged about my latest thyroid results. I was diagnosed as hypothyroid about 25 years ago and have managed it with synthroid since that point. No real issues. I started paleo about 5 months ago and was sort of hoping that eating this way may help my thyroid. I also do crossfit about 4-6 days a week. Well my last thyroid results showed my levels were pretty high (meaning my thyroid is slowing). Opposite of what I was hoping for and quite honestly expecting. Now to be honest and maybe TMI, another factor in the WHOLE equation is I'm 47 and looks like premenopausal as some of my hormo levels were down the last month. So, not sure if that is effecting my thyroid or not. I am seeing my doctor later today - so really I'm just venting here, because I REALLY wanted my healthier eating to make my one major health issue (hypothyroid) to be better. Thanks for letting me vent....

Replies

• punchgut
    punchgut Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Beginning of 2014 my hypo went hyper with a bout of thyroiditis that lasted for a long time, and then swung back the other way further. Spent a year trying to get back to normal, so I feel you!

Vent away :)
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I too am hypothyroid too, and going Primal had the same effect on me. The theory is, gluten and the Thyroid hormone in our bodies are bioidentical and when gluten is removed the antibodies designed by our bodies to go after the gluten that got through our leaky guts and got into our blood steam will now start attacking our thyroid hormones. Seems reasonable many people believe it, we will see if it pans out. Like I said mine spiked but are now I think mellowing out after a year of gluten free, my next check up will be in 3 months and I will see if it tapered off. Also I had zero symptoms when the doctor told me mine had spiked (I wasn't on any meds at the time) I would recommend switching to Armor if your doctor will let you, synthyroid is know to be made with wheat and most everyone with Thyroid issues are gluten intolerant at some level.
  • abaldi0506
    Options
    I too am hypothyroid too, and going Primal had the same effect on me. The theory is, gluten and the Thyroid hormone in our bodies are bioidentical and when gluten is removed the antibodies designed by our bodies to go after the gluten that got through our leaky guts and got into our blood steam will now start attacking our thyroid hormones. Seems reasonable many people believe it, we will see if it pans out. Like I said mine spiked but are now I think mellowing out after a year of gluten free, my next check up will be in 3 months and I will see if it tapered off. Also I had zero symptoms when the doctor told me mine had spiked (I wasn't on any meds at the time) I would recommend switching to Armor if your doctor will let you, synthyroid is know to be made with wheat and most everyone with Thyroid issues are gluten intolerant at some level.

I'll ask my doctor about Armor - thanks. she increased me dosage for 2 months (synthroid) and I will retest after that. when I go in for the retest I'll mention the Armor.
  • JenR1969
    JenR1969 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    abaldi0506 wrote: »
    OK, so I'm alittle discouraged about my latest thyroid results. I was diagnosed as hypothyroid about 25 years ago and have managed it with synthroid since that point. No real issues. I started paleo about 5 months ago and was sort of hoping that eating this way may help my thyroid. I also do crossfit about 4-6 days a week. Well my last thyroid results showed my levels were pretty high (meaning my thyroid is slowing). Opposite of what I was hoping for and quite honestly expecting. Now to be honest and maybe TMI, another factor in the WHOLE equation is I'm 47 and looks like premenopausal as some of my hormo levels were down the last month. So, not sure if that is effecting my thyroid or not. I am seeing my doctor later today - so really I'm just venting here, because I REALLY wanted my healthier eating to make my one major health issue (hypothyroid) to be better. Thanks for letting me vent....

• JenR1969
    JenR1969 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, I'm 45 with a carbon copy of your story. I'm taking a...Drenal (herbs for Perimenopausal symptoms) from my PCP and Nature Throid 97.5mg. Life is looking better. I'll take another thyroid test in two months but things don't seem to be fuzzy. Weight is slowing coming off. But even with Paleo I have to watch other foods that affect my thyroid. I wish you the best and I oh so get it.
  • abaldi0506
    Options
    JenR1969 wrote: »
    I feel your pain, I'm 45 with a carbon copy of your story. I'm taking a...Drenal (herbs for Perimenopausal symptoms) from my PCP and Nature Throid 97.5mg. Life is looking better. I'll take another thyroid test in two months but things don't seem to be fuzzy. Weight is slowing coming off. But even with Paleo I have to watch other foods that affect my thyroid. I wish you the best and I oh so get it.

What types of foods affect your thyroid. I'm still playing around with this - so I'm curious what to possibly watch for. thanks!
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    I too am hypothyroid & am taking Armour Thyroid 90 mg. I have taken Armour for so long that I don't know if it helps or not. I was soooo hoping that eating primal/paleo that this & my menopause symptoms would get cured & I would not have to take prescribed pills for them. These have been prescribed by my naturopathic doctor.
    Thanks for the info SteamClutch on the gluten in our bodies!
    Please fill us in on the foods that effect our thyroids!!
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I am hypothyroid and have been reading a lot about it and watching informational videos and such. For me it is a bit overwhelming so I haven't tried any of the dietary stuff. One of the docs said you should be strict Autoimmune Paleo, which is frighteningly restrictive to me! Then there is cruciferous vegetables, which I love and eat all the time, and to me, it is just not worth it to me to be THAT restricted on food. I am simply not going to give up vegetables because they MAY affect my thyroid. That is ME. Others might do it just fine, but I have not even been able to try after doing other restrictive protocols and not doing very well at it. That kind of thing I think I would have to work up to over time, and I am just trying to get my footing back to a healthy routine and lifestyle.
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of imperfect science surrounding how our body are reacting to foods and the environment when it comes to Hypothyroidism. One of the best and fairly short reads on it is on Chris Kresser's site it also has a free Ebook if you want it and lots of supporting information about cruciferous veggies and AIP, which I too will not be abiding by because dog gone it I do not believe veggies are a big part of the problem. here is the link. http://chriskresser.com/thyroid
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I recently read "Iodine, Why You Need it, Why You Can't Live Without It" by Dr. Brownstein. It was quite interesting. My thyroid numbers have always been normal but on the hypothyroid end of the spectrum. Apparently what's considered acceptable on testing is an extremely wide range and many doctors are now arguing that what's considered normal should be changed. So apparently because of modern farming techniques and iodized salt being consumed less and even if you do consume it it's synthetic so your body does not utilize it well, and many other reasons, most modern people unless you live in Japan where they eat tons of seafood and especially seaweed, are iodine deficient. There is some really interesting info out there about iodine deficiency and the thyroid and breast cancer...so anyway maybe something you could look into? I started taking a nascent iodione supplement about a month ago and immediately felt much better (I'd had some issues with minor pain in my body, fatigue, always feeling like my face/neck was a little swollen, acne, sinus issues, etc. nothing was terrible but it was wearing on me). I know that iodine should not be supplemented if you are already on thyroid meds without a doctor overseeing but it's something you could look into. For now I'm supplementing on my own (nascent iodine is not quite as serious as what Brownstein talks about which is Ioderol). There's lots of doctors who are still afraid of high doses of iodine and look, I'm not the expert here, just maybe something to consider. Until I happened to come upon this issue in some other health reading I was doing it would have never occured to me that I might need extra iodine.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    FYI also with the iodine, apparently there are some natropathic doctors who deal with iodine treatments (Brownstein is a natropath). He makes recomendations in the book on what you could take safely on your own since these doctors are still rare. Once again, everything I've read says you really should not take it if you already have thyroid issues diagnosed and being treated without monitoring with your doctor, but with monitoring people take iodine with thier thryoid prescriptions. I just really hope I'm not sounding like I know the whole picture here because I'm not any sort of medical professional and I know messing with the thyroid is not something to be done lightly.
  • abaldi0506
    Options
    FYI also with the iodine, apparently there are some natropathic doctors who deal with iodine treatments (Brownstein is a natropath). He makes recomendations in the book on what you could take safely on your own since these doctors are still rare. Once again, everything I've read says you really should not take it if you already have thyroid issues diagnosed and being treated without monitoring with your doctor, but with monitoring people take iodine with thier thryoid prescriptions. I just really hope I'm not sounding like I know the whole picture here because I'm not any sort of medical professional and I know messing with the thyroid is not something to be done lightly.

I appreciate your advice. I have also read some info about iodine, but haven't tried anything at this point. I've been taking my synthroid med for about 25 years now and seems to be working - I guess I was just hoping my healthier lifestyle/eating habits would eliminate having to take a pill everyday. Thanks!
  • Victoriakitten
    Options
    check out the sttm website http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/ I find it most helpful, also Mary Shoman http://thyroid.about.com/bio/Mary-Shomon-350.htm