Fats

Options
I am having trouble understanding how I am supposed to increase my fats without going over my protein levels. Any suggestions ?

Replies

• RenaTX
    RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Add butter, and healthy oils with your meals.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I use a lot of coconut and olive oil, as well as real butter.
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Avocado, olive oil, butter, coconut oil...True fats don't have protein, just fat.
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    If you're a coffee drinker, or even tea, look up Bullet Proof Coffee. Basically it's a meal replacement in a way, add 1 tbs butter, 1 tbs coconut oil, 1 tbs cream to your coffee and blend. Blending is very important. It's filling and keeps you full for hours! I use this for breakfast on weekdays which makes meal 1 ALL FAT for me.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    butter, lard, tallow, bacon grease, olive oil, avocado oil, coconut oil, nut oils cold on salads,
    cream cheese, heavy whipping cream, cheese (though it does have a bit of protein)

Eat ALL the fats! Though I do recommend you stay away from soybean oil, canola oil, and regular "vegetable oil blends".
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    In addition to the tips already recommended, other swap-outs include skin-on chicken thighs instead of breasts ... 80% ground beef ... many processed meats are near 1:1 fat:protein ratio (other processed meat caveats still apply) ... cook eggs in extra butter ... put butter/coconut oil on your veggies (and mixing with salt/salt subst helps w electrolytes) ... baked bacon-wrapped thighs are awesome ... homemade mayo to dip/spread on everything ...
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    The other day, I poured the leftover bacon grease (from my morning bacon) over my 75/25% burger patties (which already had their fat poured back over them) for lunch. Good lord, I can't even begin to estimate the amount of calories and fat in that lunch. It was at least two tablespoons of the grease. But, it was SO good. Just creamy grease in every bite. It was probably like 85% fat and 15% protein in the end.

Not that I recommend it. I didn't even do it to get my fat up. It just seemed like a delicious idea at the time. I have a slightly higher tolerance for fat than most people can stomach. I can eat bacon grease cold from a spoon.
  • annieboomboom
    annieboomboom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    the perfect lunch. Chicken salad made with mayo. a little celery and you are in good with those keto strips.
    Skip the bacon grease cold from the spoon.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    The other day, I poured the leftover bacon grease (from my morning bacon) over my 75/25% burger patties (which already had their fat poured back over them) for lunch. Good lord, I can't even begin to estimate the amount of calories and fat in that lunch. It was at least two tablespoons of the grease. But, it was SO good. Just creamy grease in every bite. It was probably like 85% fat and 15% protein in the end.

Not that I recommend it. I didn't even do it to get my fat up. It just seemed like a delicious idea at the time. I have a slightly higher tolerance for fat than most people can stomach. I can eat bacon grease cold from a spoon.

Just reading your description of your burger is making my mouth water! LOL!

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options

Back in my grad school days, when I was the only one left in the house some weekends, my go to dinner was a hamburger patty between 2 slices of toast slathered in peanut butter. Today I suppose I would skip the toast.

• sbom1
    sbom1 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Skip the bacon grease cold from the spoon.
    (*)
  • fancyroberts
    fancyroberts Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!! You are all awesome!!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    KeithF6250 wrote: »

Back in my grad school days, when I was the only one left in the house some weekends, my go to dinner was a hamburger patty between 2 slices of toast slathered in peanut butter. Today I suppose I would skip the toast.

Wait...wait...hamburger and peanut butter? Where the hell did you come up with that?!
  • fancyroberts
    fancyroberts Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    lol! I will skip the pb and hb! ...and maybe the cold bacon grease but I am however more cultured now! Thanks.
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

Wait...wait...hamburger and peanut butter? Where the hell did you come up with that?!
    Let's see. At that point in my life I was a grad student and army vet renting a house with 4 other guys. We had a pooled fund for household food. I agreed that I would grocery shop and make dinners 5 nights/week as long as others would wash dishes and clean kitchen & bathroom. Weekends we were on our own. Inspiration probably came when I was contemplating the 1 pound of hamburger left in the fridge at the end of the week and wondering what wine went well with peanut butter

• KetoCutie
    KetoCutie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I rely on bullet proof coffee and fat bombs. Or a handful of macadamia nuts. Fat bomb recipes here (along with a bunch of others) https://www.pinterest.com/melismusing/paleoprimalketo/
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

I have a friend from Holland and they make a peanut butter sauce that they put on all kinds of meat and steaks. He made some for me, and it was pretty good.... (30 years ago was when I ate it)...

Dan the Man from Michigan

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    A local restaurant my family used to frequent when I was a kid kept a jar of peanut butter behind the counter for my dad's burgers. :)

Also Corvette's Diner in San Diego has a burger on the menu that includes PB (IIRC it's called "The Rory"?)

PB & bologna was a favorite sandwich too when I was growing up.
  • Rockmaker
    Rockmaker Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Great advice everyone, taking notes...
  • oyadancing
    oyadancing Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Toppings and sauces to add fat to meals: Aioli (egg yolk, oil, garlic), hollandaise (egg yolk and butter), mayo (egg yolk and oil), guacamole. My new favorite: Toum (garlic, oil, egg whites). Once I got over fat fear, I just started thinking about all the unctuous, creamy, fatty things out there that I could slap on top of my food - and get healthier, too? Man...

And I know this was about fat w/o protein, but the easiest way I add fat to my diet is to eat fattier cuts of meat like short ribs, oxtails, tri tip, pork spare ribs, pork belly.

I am right there with you, FIT_goat, top with fat. Not quite there, quite yet, with bacon grease off the spoon, but butter or cream cheese... yes I have!