Enough training time for marathon?

Options

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I agree. The extra miles the day before is a concept that is probably best reserved for advanced/ experienced marathoners.
    You're correct. I just looked through the Hal Higdon novice plans and the day before is empty in those plans. Fair enough. Nobody needs to get injured.

I was just disappointed at how my 20 mile run went (Great!) vs. how the last few miles of the race felt. I was out ahead of the 4:15 pace group until mile 22. More practice running tired would have been a good thing.

• JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I agree. The extra miles the day before is a concept that is probably best reserved for advanced/ experienced marathoners.

_Waffle_ wrote: »
    You're correct. I just looked through the Hal Higdon novice plans and the day before is empty in those plans. Fair enough. Nobody needs to get injured.

I was just disappointed at how my 20 mile run went (Great!) vs. how the last few miles of the race felt. I was out ahead of the 4:15 pace group until mile 22. More practice running tired would have been a good thing.

So you guys aren't running the day before your long run ?!? Interesting.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

My current, beginner, plan has me on a midweek long or speed session and a moderate distance the day before the LSD run.

• JustWant2Run
    Options

My current, beginner, plan has me on a midweek long or speed session and a moderate distance the day before the LSD run.

I'm on a 6 runs a week plan. My rest day is Monday and long run day is Saturday... So my long run is actually on my 5th consecutive running day. I usually run 6-7 miles the day before and 6-7 miles the day after.

Like @_Waffle_ said, I think it's great to know what cumulative fatigue feels like.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    So I've run over 13 miles (15 brutal, mountainous trail miles for the longest) 3 times since the new year, and I'm eyeballing a paved, flat, coastal marathon in NC on March 28. It's 7 weeks away. First full marathon. I am not trying to qualify for Boston, or even finish in close to 4 hours. Is this enough time? Like, seriously, 5 hours is good enough. I'm in a time crunch for training, as I've been gifted with a work haitus till (probably) April. Also, I feel very comfy running in NC, as I have run everywhere there from Boone to Atlantic Beach. It feels right. Advice from people with a 26.2 sticker on their car please?

Why rush into something you're not adequately trained for and will likely be a bad experience? There are marathons all the time. 7 weeks is not enough time to build to the distance. It's not like doing 2x13.1's. It's so much harder than that. Train appropriately and have a good first marathon.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

I'm on a 6 runs a week plan. My rest day is Monday and long run day is Saturday... So my long run is actually on my 5th consecutive running day. I usually run 6-7 miles the day before and 6-7 miles the day after.

Like @_Waffle_ said, I think it's great to know what cumulative fatigue feels like.

Before my first marathon I had a rest day on Friday, long run Saturday, rest on Sunday. This time I ran about 6 to 8 miles on Fridays, long run Saturday, rest on Sunday. It made a HUGE difference in how my long run felt. Hopefully it pays off.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

For my last marathon, I did an easy to moderate run before my long run. But for my first marathon, I rarely ran the day before my long run. For my next, I will probably increase the run before my long run to get more of the effect of running on tired legs. I just don't think it's necessary for a first timer.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Indeed. I've been on four running days and I'm trying to fit in a decent length cycle the day after the LSD which is giving me five consecutive days of training.

I found that model helped me in HM training, just dealing with the psychological effect of training fatigued. So Sunday is active recovery on the bike, Wednesday and Thursday are notional rest days, but I still have commute cycling for both of those.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

I think you already know the answer to that question. :)

I always run the day before the LSD run. Depending on where it is in the training cycle, it could be as much as 10 miles with some at a faster pace. I seem to recall last marathon training cycle doing 10 miles with 2x1.5 miles at about 6:45 pace the day before a 22.

The day after is sometimes rest, sometimes easy, active recovery running.

• MountainMaggie
    MountainMaggie Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Wow! What an amazing litany of varied advice! I think you're ALL right, and that different things work for different people, and it takes time to learn what works for you. I know now what I should have done differently before my first half, and after my first full, I will certainly see things I could have done differently. It's like childbirth. You can plan all you want, but you never know what it's going to be like till you're in labor, even if you're done it before.

While I don't think waiting till Fall is necessary, I have been called back to work, which adds to any original doubts I may have had, so, I am going run Emerald Isle, which seemed like the absolute most perfect event for me, but just the half.

I would prefer 10-12 weeks, to allow for proper training, as well as any unforseen illness, injury, burn out, or work conflicts. But I might have more time than that, as I am eyeing the Mayor's Midnight Marathon in Anchorage on June 20. It was my dream to run my first half there, but I couldn't swing it. And I have a free place to stay there!

One factor no one mentioned that played into my decision is heat (though perhaps that's where the Fall suggestions came from). As much as prefer summer for everything else I do, cold weather shaves minutes off my mile. I need to work on that. Someone who does 60 hours of manual labor a week in the southern summer sun really ought to be able to run in the same sun.
  • MountainMaggie
    Options
    Oh, and I can't think of a better place to be than Anchorage in late June. Been there twice in August. There's a reason this race gets high reviews.
  • vcphil
    vcphil Posts: 79 Member
    Options

_Waffle_ wrote: »

Lol I always do a 4 miler before my long run days. Perhaps I am being a slacker?! :P I need to step up my game!!
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    My week typically has rest just before tempo day, so I do run 6-10 the day before a long. 6-10, long, 4-6, medium long is my fri-mon schedule.
  • MountainMaggie
    Options
    I like to do a short run before my long runs sometimes. For instance, the evening before my 15 miler, I ran 3miles, and kept thinking "Ok. Just gotta do this 5 times tomorrow." I think of it as a warm up. I'd be scared to do more than 5 before a long race, and 5 is pushing it. But I'm no expert, and I'm listening to you all.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    I like to do a short run before my long runs sometimes. For instance, the evening before my 15 miler, I ran 3miles, and kept thinking "Ok. Just gotta do this 5 times tomorrow." I think of it as a warm up. I'd be scared to do more than 5 before a long race, and 5 is pushing it. But I'm no expert, and I'm listening to you all.

Not the day before a race. I just do a very easy very short "shake out run" the day before a race. The point of running a medium length run the day before a long training run is to pre-tire your legs to better condition you for running on tired legs on race day.
  • JustWant2Run
    Options
    sjohnny wrote: »

Not the day before a race. I just do a very easy very short "shake out run" the day before a race. The point of running a medium length run the day before a long training run is to pre-tire your legs to better condition you for running on tired legs on race day.

Not before a race either. I'm a bit extreme and take 3 full day off before a marathon :# Fresh legs are amazing!
  • sjohnny
    Options

Not before a race either. I'm a bit extreme and take 3 full day off before a marathon :# Fresh legs are amazing!

I'm afraid my legs will seize up :laugh: I'm actually just about to go do a real easy 3 miles with a couple of strides in a few minutes. Then I'll take tomorrow off. Then my little shake out run on Saturday and as much just laying around doing nothing as I can get away with until Sunday morning.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

I'm afraid my legs will seize up :laugh: I'm actually just about to go do a real easy 3 miles with a couple of strides in a few minutes. Then I'll take tomorrow off. Then my little shake out run on Saturday and as much just laying around doing nothing as I can get away with until Sunday morning.
    Good plan.
  • JustWant2Run
    Options

It's all about what works for you! :smile:
  • MountainMaggie
    Options
    I did not run the day before my first half. Did 3 miles before my 15 because I spent 4 hours driving that day, and I figured driving legs would be worse than 5k legs on race day.