preop blended diet

Options
HI I AM A NEWBIE I AM STARTING MY BLENDED DIET SURGERY DATE IS MARCH 11th 800 calorie one day then 1200 the next and so on What are your preop meals ?

Replies

• lorilbuckner1
    lorilbuckner1 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Im 3 days into my 2 week preop. I had to purchase foods and drinks from my Bariatric Center. 800-900 cal per day. Nice thing is there is shakes, tea, hot cocoa, chips in different flavors, pancakes, omelet mixes, soups, bars and meals similar to atkins. All is high protein. I can mix and match as long as I stay within the calorie range! Im really missing salads and veggies but there is no adding to the plan. Compared to otherswho are on all liquid shakes Im not going to complain!
  • bonzaburns
    bonzaburns Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I live in Australia and start my preop diet on 23rd Feb. Surgery on 9th March. Have been doing the regular diet so far, with a shake for brekkie and lean cuisine for lunch and dinner. Can't stand the shakes...yuck!

As part of my programme, the dietican gave me a book to help with pre and post op diet. There is a preop diet for 14 days, doesn't go into calories, but there are recipes for stuff other than shakes. But you still have the three shakes (or soup) a day. The book is excellent with great tips and heaps of recipes.

If you want to become MFP friends, you are welcome.

Cheers Chris
  • lorilbuckner1
    lorilbuckner1 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Hi Chris! Do you have any options on which shakes you can drink? I've tried several and some are horrible, but have found some that are pretty good. Just recently tried Premier Protein (30g protein and 2 net carbs) and they are pretty good but a little sweeter than others. I also like Atkins shakes(15g protein and 2net carbs) and EAS Advantage Carb Control shakes (17g protein and 2 net carb). I'm not sure if these are available to you or not! I know I was having a difficult time with some of the products my Bariatric Center had for me and they allowed me to make a couple of substitutions as long as the protein, carbs and calories were close. Good luck!
  • jillcwatson1
    jillcwatson1 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    bonzaburns, you mentioned the book with recipes. I am beginning to collect such information in prep for my spring surgery. Is this something that is provided only to your doctor's patients or is this published and available through internet orders? Being in the US, I may not have access to the same distributors that you do in Australia. Thanks.
  • bonzaburns
    Options
    Hi Lori & Jill
    I have been told I have to have the OptiFast Shakes only, as these are more balanced. These don't taste the best either. I did try OptiSlim and the French Vanilla wasn't as bad. But will stick with the OptiFast once I start the preop diet on 23rd Feb.

I'll check the name of the book tonight, and repost the details. I'm sure it is the type that would be available.
  • jillcwatson1
    jillcwatson1 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I will be watching for it.
  • bonzaburns
    Options
    Hi Jill,

The book is called "Your Complete Guide to Nutrition for Weight Loss Surgery". It's by an Aussie lady, but can't say enough about how great this book is.

I found her website.

http://www.nutritionforweightlosssurgery.com/Online-Shop/

They have an international edition and also an ebook. It is really worth a go.

Cheers Chris

PS I'm going to put a post about the book. Think it could help others.