New to Keto...

Options
Hello! I have recently started the keto journey. A few people have requested to add me, but their food diaries are closed, mine is open, and they've only "liked" my weight loss and given no tips or pointers. I'm looking for friends to add me who have open diaries and a very successful journey to share.

I started a basic 1200 calorie diet in December, at 246#.
January 8th, I was 240#, and began cutting back my carb intake.
January 27th, I saw my physician and weighed in at 235#. After that appointment, I began researching keto.
February 4th, I began keto (to the best of my understanding) and am now down to 230#.

My goal is 165#. I drink about 100 oz, AT LEAST, of water a day. I am a nurse in a busy specialty office and walk a total of 7000 to 9000 steps a day, at work alone. I do some light exercise at home, and remain around a 1250 calorie diet.

I had lost from 233.4 to 230 from this past Friday to Tuesday, but today, I actually weighed in a pound heavier. I downloaded the keto plugin for MFP a week ago and I use it religiously to get as close to 75/20/5 as possible.

I'm just looking for some successful friends with some guidance. I'm a picky eater, so this has been quite a transition for me. I actually have been mostly vegetarian, except for chicken and fish occasionally, until December. I'm allergic to coconut, so I can't use any of the boosters with coconut anything in them, but I find myself really hungry in the mornings at work, between my 8am breakfast and 12pm's lunch break. The rest of the day after lunch, I'm barely hungry enough for dinner. I also didn't have any of the nasty side effects, except for a headache the first day and the metallic taste in my mouth, which I still have.

Welcoming any and all critique and advise. :)

Thank you, in advance!

Replies

• strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I'm nowhere near perfect at this, but I've been successful so far.
  • deseraedawn83
    deseraedawn83 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I requested to add you. Thank you, and congrats on your weight loss, but it looks like you're hardly eating, darlin!
  • strawmama
    Options
    LOL! Are you sure you looked at my diary? :p
  • deseraedawn83
    Options
    I did! Lol It looks like snacks compared to mine and my caloric value is far lower. Haha...I'm really trying to get into the meat thing, but it's just not really me. I do make myself eat it, though. Most of mine is butter, cheese, and cream cheese, it seems! Gotta cover up the meat taste!
  • strawmama
    Options
    I mostly eat meat, eggs, cheese, and a few lower-carb veggies. Also, butter, heavy whipping cream, cream cheese, yogurt.
  • deseraedawn83
    Options
    I love my yogurt, but I'd rather have my Half & Half in my coffee, so I tossed it. I also don't eat any breads, pasta, or anything like that. If I want a snack, I've turned to pork rinds, which I really had to force myself to eat, but I make a homemade cheese-type dip with cream cheese, sour cream, shredded cheese, ranch, hot sauce, and green onion to dip them in. It's amazing...and a meal in itself!
  • strawmama
    Options
    I tend to cycle with the net carbs. Some days are higher 30-50g, some are lower 15-30g. I usually have my yogurt on those higher days. I like pork rinds but not that much, lol. I do however use them as a breading for fried chicken...it's very good :)
  • sbom1
    sbom1 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    my diary is open to friends, feel free to add me.
  • deseraedawn83
    Options
    I had bought them for the intent of fried chicken, but thought I'd learn to just like them plain first. :)
  • ABrownGrl
    ABrownGrl Posts: 41 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    You could "bread" fish with the pork rinds then pan fry in butter. I would use an egg to coat the fish, and I would also put it in the fridge for 30 minutes or so after you bread it, before you fry it. This will help bind the pork rinds onto the fish when it's frying. That would add a lot of good fat, plus the pork rinds have a ton of protein. Sounds like you're doing great so far! You can add me, my diary is open :)
  • deseraedawn83
    Options
    Thank you! I will definitely add you. :)
  • melissa968
    melissa968 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I started back on the LCHF/keto diet on Sunday. I lost almost 30 pounds 2 years ago on a LCHF WOE. I'm having a harder time losing this time around. I am not having that 1-2lb/day loss. I think my off/on two year cycle, as well as pre-menopause may have something to do with that. My diary is open to friends and if you have a Fitbit add me there too :smiley:https://www.fitbit.com/user/3273NV
  • eddiecastro77
    eddiecastro77 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My diary is open if your looking for ideas. I travel quite a bit too so am forced to eat out a lot.
  • x_Minerva_x
    x_Minerva_x Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You could always make snacks in advance. For example, flax bread breakfast sandwiches are to die for (high in calories, but also protein, so make sure to balance your sandwich out with lots of mayo or something..)

Walnuts and almonds are a good snack (albeit easy to go overboard with, so make sure you weigh them.)

Guacamole is a good dip for pork rinds depending on your mood (has a good bit of fat in it.)

Speaking of fat, if you're having problems boosting yours because you can't have coconut, try Dukes Mayo (one of the few brands without sugar of any type,) and or heavy whipping cream (I love heavy whipping cream lol.)

Or, alternatively you could try various other types of oils such as Sunflower, Walnut, Sesame, etc...However, I would not recommend you put them in your coffee lol. Sesame is good for frying up chicken, Sunflower is good for both frying up pork and chicken, and Walnut is pretty good for simmering red meat.

• Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I sent you a friend request. I have an open diary (also travel and eat out a lot). I don't go by percentages: I go by actual grams; in order of importance to me: <20 net grams carbs, >91 grams protein, fat to satiety, ~1400 calories per day. I don't eat back my overblown MFP exercise calories.
    Some days I am hungrier than others. I go with it within my carb limits. Some days (although rarely) I can barely eat 900-1000 calories and that's usually a physically lazy day.

ETA: I have a Vivofit if you or anyone has a Garmin and wants to add me. tpwinnc