Goals and rewards

Options
Hi all!

I was very curious as to what individual goals/milestones people have set themselves, for weight loss but also to keep them motivated. I was hoping people would share what/how they are going to reward them self, food and non-food related.
I personally know I want to loose 135lbs/60kgs but I really haven't set any small goals and rewards yet.
This could help me and others like me make sure we can commit long term and create the opportunity for success.
Below are some of the possible goals I might do:
10kgs, 20kgs, 30kgs, 40kgs, 50kgs, 60kgs, complete 21 days no junk food challenge, complete 21 day Abs-tastic challenge, total 10cm lost, total 20cms lost, total 40cms lost, 100,000 steps, 500,000 steps, 1,000,000 steps, 1km breaststroke/backstroke, 1km breaststroke, 1km backstroke

Below are some of the possible rewards I've come up with (they don't match anything from above yet):
New sneakers, activity tracker, overnight stay, pedicure, new swimsuit, new hair cut, archery class, laughing class, sauna, bike, new workout clothes, new cookware item, bowling

Please feel free to share your thoughts, goals and rewards.
Cheers

Replies

• astro_katie
    Options
    Ah I forgot to post how I thought I might pay for everything!
    This is the activity assassin. For every workout, class, physio session etc. that I do, I will put $1 into it. The more I workouts I do, the more fitter I get and hopefully more weight I loose. I can then reward myself. dfp7xvxl9p5r.jpg

It's just something I spotted on google that I liked so I made one myself.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    The reward system doesn't do anything for me. I tried it and it annoyed me more than anything. Feeling like I had to go buy such and such a thing just because I had lost x amount of weight. And on the flip side… watching my jeans literally fall off of me with every step, but not being able to go buy new ones because I still had 2 pounds to go. I gave it up. Just hitting those milestones is enough of a reward for me.

But that being said… I do have a list (yes an actual list) of milestones that I want to hit and I love being able to give myself a check when I hit it. Some are weight goals, some are things I want to be able to do.

My next goal is to weigh less than 2 of my older sisters (One is 240, the other is 235. I weigh 246 right now.) Then I want to hit my 3/4 of the way mark (That would be 231--total loss of 150 lbs). Then I want to climb the pyramid at Neptune Park. Then I want to run a 5k with my friends and family. Then I want to get a BMI below 30 (to get me out of the obese range). Then I'm aiming for ONEderland. After that, is my goal weight.
  • WVMountainMamma
    WVMountainMamma Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking in bits too. No rewards planned. I kinda of feel rewards got me this way ...did something great...treated myself too food...sad...comforted myself with food. The only reward for me is better health.

My goals
    1. Go under 300
    2. Get off BP meds
    3. 275
    4. 250
    5. 220

I have not weighed under 300 in 10 years so right now...it's my only focus.
  • shballa
    shballa Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My goals are based on weights I remember from events that happened in my life. I started at 382 and am now 280. My first goal was to get under 330 to be able to play Wii Fit. From there -
    300 - Nice even number
    270 - What I weighed before I got pregnant the 1st time (20 years ago)
    240 - What I weighed when I got married
    199 - Onederland
    180 - What my daughter weighs now & doesn't look bad
    My ultimate goal is 140, but I know going from 180 to 140 is going to be tough.

I don't really have material goals in mind, other than the one I posted about getting the phone when I lost 100 pounds. I did end up buying the phone, and every time I look at it, it reminds me that I lost a heck of a lot of weight. Plus, I got a discount because we have a program through our insurance that you can earn points for healthy measures, and I had $100 in Amazon gift cards saved up. So being healthier actually earned me credit towards the reward.
  • astro_katie
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing @cincysweetheart, @WVMountainMamma‌ and @shballa. It really helps me get an idea as to what others are doing and what works for them. I'm still working on my goals but haven't thought anymore about adding rewards to them. I do think that loosing the weight and seeing the results in my clothes and self esteem is enough but I'd like to get a full picture before I put anything in cement. Thanks again!
  • zilannoj
    zilannoj Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I've thought a lot about my goals/rewards system. Here's what I have:

Weight Related
    270 - chef's knife
    250 - fitted for new running shoes
    225 - one week vacation
    200 - new wardrobe

Fitness/Food Related

Complete marathon - tattoo
    One year on MFP - another year on MFP
    Binge free one year - new film camera

If I'm not able to afford these things at the time I complete them, I'll find something more frugal. The only thing I'm not budging on is new running shoes.
  • ScrAgnX
    ScrAgnX Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I was very curious as to what individual goals/milestones people have set themselves, for weight loss but also to keep them motivated. I was hoping people would share what/how they are going to reward them self, food and non-food related.

I have a feeling that my rewards will change as I refine what I want/need, as personal budget changes, and as I may pick up some of the items earlier or later based on how the cycling goes (not to mention if my target changes). Tentatively, this is what I have set my sights on...

Starting: 360
    Goal 1: 350 (DONE) Garmin Bike Speed Sensor
    Goal 2: 325 (Midpoint Step) ????
    Goal 3: 300 (3 Year Low & 60 lbs Down) Cycling Shoes (& Clips)
    Goal 4: 275 (Midpoint Step) Winery Biking Ride on Katy Trail
    Goal 5: 250 (10 Year Low & 110 lbs Down) New Mountain Bike
    Goal 6: 233 (No Longer Obese BMI) Bike Bag &/or Paniers
    Goal 7: 216 (Midpoint Step) ????
    Goal 8: 200 (?? Year Low & 160 lbs Down) New Golf Clubs
    Goal 9: 190 (No Longer Overweight BMI) New Suit
    Goal 10: 185 (Midpoint Step) ????
    Target: 180 (Average Weight for Frame) Cycling & Camping Trip to OBX

I agree with the comments that rewards are problematic at times, and to be honest most of my rewards are just timing out when I buy things that I want/need anyway (cycling gear, new suit, etc.). The trips are the real "rewards", but they are trips that my wife and I have talked about before, and I feel that at the weights they are slotted in they will be achievable (not that we will do them the day I hit my targets).

I've set my sights on a few 100km bike rides for October of this year that my dad and I are training for; that motivates me more than anything on the list above. I didn't set any rewards for this, as the completion (and accompanying bragging rights) is the reward.
  • WVMountainMamma
    Options
    ScrAgnX wrote: »

I have a feeling that my rewards will change as I refine what I want/need, as personal budget changes, and as I may pick up some of the items earlier or later based on how the cycling goes (not to mention if my target changes). Tentatively, this is what I have set my sights on...

Starting: 360
    Goal 1: 350 (DONE) Garmin Bike Speed Sensor
    Goal 2: 325 (Midpoint Step) ????
    Goal 3: 300 (3 Year Low & 60 lbs Down) Cycling Shoes (& Clips)
    Goal 4: 275 (Midpoint Step) Winery Biking Ride on Katy Trail
    Goal 5: 250 (10 Year Low & 110 lbs Down) New Mountain Bike
    Goal 6: 233 (No Longer Obese BMI) Bike Bag &/or Paniers
    Goal 7: 216 (Midpoint Step) ????
    Goal 8: 200 (?? Year Low & 160 lbs Down) New Golf Clubs
    Goal 9: 190 (No Longer Overweight BMI) New Suit
    Goal 10: 185 (Midpoint Step) ????
    Target: 180 (Average Weight for Frame) Cycling & Camping Trip to OBX

I agree with the comments that rewards are problematic at times, and to be honest most of my rewards are just timing out when I buy things that I want/need anyway (cycling gear, new suit, etc.). The trips are the real "rewards", but they are trips that my wife and I have talked about before, and I feel that at the weights they are slotted in they will be achievable (not that we will do them the day I hit my targets).

I've set my sights on a few 100km bike rides for October of this year that my dad and I are training for; that motivates me more than anything on the list above. I didn't set any rewards for this, as the completion (and accompanying bragging rights) is the reward.

I love your ideas! I would love to ride a bike again.

• ScrAgnX
    Options
    I love your ideas! I would love to ride a bike again.

There are some exercise goals I didn't include earlier, mostly building up time in the bike and walking more in preparation for a C25K running plan.

I'm general my biking goals have been to increase time in the saddle (mounted on an indoor trainer for now) from my starting time of 5 minutes, or my current 20, to around 60 to 75 minutes. This will have me riding around 25k every other day; hopefully, in another month and a half to two months.

The indoor trainer makes it closer to spinning than outdoor cycling, but will get my muscles built up stronger while I stay warm inside and prevent the world from having to see me in spandex cycling shorts (for now ...).

If you want information on how I'm building my cycling time to set up your own program let me know. I've tried to find a C25K for cycling, but ended up setting my own small goals, and target ride times. I certainly missed it, and realized how much once the saddle discomfort stared to fade.
  • ScrAgnX
    Options
    @astro_katie, I meant to mention it earlier but forgot... Good topic, goals are important to reflect on and your thread has provided an excellent opportunity to do so. Thank you.
  • astro_katie
    astro_katie Posts: 62
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Thanks @ScrAgnX. And thank you to everyone who has shared their thoughts and goals already. It prompted me to have a day of reflection and determine what it is that I really want. Previously I've just said an obscene number and tired and failed. This time I'm taking it slow and era lily thinking about all the little steps I can take to ensure this is successful. I never got support before, never really counted my calories, never considered small weight loss and nerve really analysed how I got to this point.
    It is eye opening to sort through your past and see what mistakes you made and how to avoid hem this time.
    I've come up with my goals and I'm happy to share them here. Please excuse the messy handwriting.
    psf04oqnogwh.jpg
    7k5jlral3tqp.jpg
    hqvmgq6dygof.jpg
    tnj6tc35czjj.jpg
    4xe3b1w1i1pi.jpg
    ry8bc7jmk9fi.jpg
  • ScrAgnX
    Options
    @astro_katie, I like how many of your goals are tied to reinforcing the benefits of weight loss. That is, you are doing activities that you couldn't do at your current weight; which will give you positive memories associated with being lighter. I believe that will help you maintain your weight in the future.

Good goals all around.
  • astro_katie
    Options
    Thanks @ScrAgnX, that's the aim. It'll help me come to grips with the changes in me mentally as well a physically.
  • WVMountainMamma
    Options
    My husband and I have both wanted a Vitamix. We can do so much with our garden in the summer in it. So we decided today at my 40lb mark to purchase one. Great motivation for me to keep it moving! I made a marble jar today of pounds lost and pounds to go. Starting with my first 100
  • astro_katie
    Options
    @WVMountainMamma congrats! That's a great reward and I'm glad you like the motivation jars. You'll be able to really see your progress as your doing so well on your journey!
  • LadyRowyn
    LadyRowyn Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have the jars as well. I love it. It's a pretty and practical way to see your progress :)