New and Looking for Friends!

Options
Itsjustme86
Itsjustme86 Posts: 116 Member
Hi,

I am unfortunately joining the diabetes club :( I have LADA (type 1.5) which is a bit different then type 2 but the eating and exercise is all the same! I am 28 and was diagnosed about 3 months ago after going into DKA (DKA sucks more then diabetes haha) I am about to be off all medicine after taking insulin since getting out of the hospital! This scares me A LOT!
Hoping to start a family soon! If anyone is on a similar or completely different journey and looking for friends feel free to add me :D Would love to get to know some younger diabetics too!

Replies

• wtskinner
    wtskinner Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat about 20 years ago. Fortunately, they've come a long way with treatment options. The best advice I can give you is learn to be strict about your health at the young age you are now, because it only gets tougher as you get older. Hang in there. There is plenty you can do, you'll just be stuck thinking about everything you eat for the rest of your life. If nothing else, you will learn your own body like no one else.
  • dylansmom87
    dylansmom87 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    What exactly is LADA?
  • Itsjustme86
    Itsjustme86 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    It's Latent autoimmune diabetes of adults so there's an autoimmune factor usually the GAD antibody. It slowly kills the cells, you can have pancreas function for months to years after diagnosis but from my understanding you eventually become dependant on insulin. It also usually has some insulin resistance from what I understand.
    Thanks wtskinner for your advice! I have always exercised a lot (ran 5ks a few times before being diagnosed) but never watched what I ate but have completely changed how I eat and look at food in the past few months! To a point where just 12 weeks after diagnosis I am off all medicine but haven't had an A1C done yet will have that in March! It's scary looking at the complications and realizing I have 50-60 years to live with this and do all I can to avoid those complications!