Accident

Options
Hello, I came on here 2 or 3 weeks ago and introduced myself to some of you and began making friends. Then I took one wrong step down a flight of stairs early one morning and broke my leg and ankle really badly. I was in hospital for a week and have been home for another.

I was only about a week into the 5:2 before the accident but boy, have I lost weight! I imagine that starting the 5:2 kickstarted a lowered appetite, then it was further reduced by pain, surgery and meds. Although I have to keep my lower leg elevated, I make 8-10 trips through the house and back on a walking frame and I can say that it's the most intense weight-lifting regime I've ever taken on! The effort is intense and leaves me panting and sweating but also feels good since I'm otherwise like a turtle stuck on my back.

I'm a very positive person and although this is a major setback in the short-term, I also feel it's a wake up call about the reality of long-term health problems. I'm not sure about actively doing the 5:2 over the next week or so but since my eating is greatly reduced it doesn't seem so vital. I'm taking each day as it comes and trying to keep my spirits up.

I hope everyone is doing well, just thought I'd let people know why I dropped out of site after requesting friendships with some of you.

Replies

• flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your accident. It sounds like you are doing very well despite it all! If you can keep your spirits up and your mind on track through this, you will remain very successful, I'm sure!

Hope you heal well!
  • JillyCornwall
    JillyCornwall Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear of your accident. I've been there done that & got the tee shirt. Lugging over 17st around on a frame & then a pair of crutches was a wake up call for me too and I lost 5st after the broken ankle. only trouble is I didn't have the food education that 5:2 has given me and I put it all back on with a bit more..so here I am back at square 1. Hope your convalescence goes well, and take advantage of the fact that its not easy to get to the kitchen LOL
  • snaps27
    snaps27 Posts: 960 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    So sorry about your accident. Sounds so painful, but I'm glad you can see the good that has come out of it. I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason and if you can see the good already then your going in the right direction. Glad to see your post and wish you all the best with your recovery.
  • JJA14
    JJA14 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    There you are! I must admit, I did wonder!
    Oh poor you - but listening to what Jilly has to say, it sounds like it may be a blessing in a plastercast disguise!
    - Keep that positive outlook, keep up with us all on here and we'll see you right!
    - J
  • Bookrunner
    Bookrunner Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ha! Thanks for lovely comments. Yeah, my starting weight was 17 stone. Not sure what it is now as the cast is so heavy, but I can feel that I'm lighter. The walker KILLS my right bum cheek muscles and my arms are also getting toned. My only worry is that I'll be lean on one side and droopy on the other. Never mind, it could have all been so much worse. I'm sleeping ALOT but during waking hours will fill in my profile and catch up on your news. I'm still looking for nice friends on here. xx
  • orlcam
    orlcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Personally I was hurt, angry and mystified...
    hmm, wait, you're not my friend...sorry. Umm...Go You!
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Welcome back @Bookrunner. I remember you. Glad you are at least posting again. Rest well. Your body needs it. Wishing you a more speedy than normal recovery.

@orlcam - were you the kid in the back of the class that the teacher had to constantly ask to stop distracting the other students? :lol:
  • orlcam
    orlcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    jknight001 wrote: »
    @orlcam - were you the kid in the back of the class that the teacher had to constantly ask to stop distracting the other students? :lol:
    No...I sat in the front, until they moved me to the back. ...or in special circumstances when my desk was moved next to the teacher's. 'Course nowadays I'd of been labeled as ADHD...they're handin' out that diagnosis now like jelly beans.

• Juliemoo1960
    Juliemoo1960 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Welcome back to the boards. Hope you get well soon. Toned and weight off is would be be something positive out of a bad injury.
  • janetteluparia
    janetteluparia Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    OMG!! Healing thoughts your way!! You got this....