Weight Gain and Anti-Depressants: Advice?

Options
Bebeharden
Bebeharden Posts: 76 Member
Hi Everyone,

I've encountered some series weight since starting anti-depressants more than 10 years ago and most recently after changing medications (5 times in fact) over the past year, I've noticed about 40 lbs. of weight gain. This has made things worse, mental health wise, as well as physically. My most recent medication change has even caused a 5 lb weight gain in less than 2 weeks! I was wondering if anyone has any advice/ tips on how to successfully lose weight while taking anti-depressants or resources? I'm up for nearly anything. Thanks in advance!

PS: I'm posting this in a few different forums, so apologies if you're seeing this more than once :)

Replies

• thekatielong
    Options
    Personally I have been on different types of medication, non that were for depression, but they did make me gain weight. Steroids being one, and migraine preventative being another. To be honest the only thing you can do is push yourself more and watch what you eat. I noticed with one of the painkillers I take for bad migraines, it gives me such hunger in my belly I just want to eat the fridge. The other part is water retention, some of the medications made me retain water a lot more, but now I take a pill that makes me lose water HA, the chemistry of pharmaceuticals and the human body are crazy.

Whatever you do, don't give up. Do what you do, eat right, exercise and if it gets bad tell your doctor that you are gaining too much weight and you can't burn it off.
  • Bebeharden
    Options
    Thanks so much for the encouragement. I'm going to look into water pills, because I've gained 5 lbs in 2 weeks without a change in diet, but with a new Rx. Thanks again!
  • crystalberries426
    Options
    I got put on zoloft and gained a ton of weight quickly. I got even more depressed and talked to my doc and we switched my meds up. Now I'm just overweight for other reasons. Definitely talk to your doctor if you feel your efforts are being hindered by ur antidepressants but never stop taking them. Hopefully you can find a balance. Good luck.
  • Bebeharden
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice and encouragement! It's really helpful :)