'Normal' Between Two Doses?

Options
I was having some trouble with Hyper symptoms on the 137mcg, so I asked my doctor if I could try the 125mcg to see if I might like it better. He agreed but gave me the option to go back up to 137 if I didn't like it.

Long story short, I don't, i'm having some serious Hypo symptoms on the lower dose, so I am going to go back to the higher one, but I started wondering, what do you do if your actually 'normal' between two doses? It's not like I could combine the 125 and a 5 or 7 mcg, because the smallest dose of Synthroid makes is 25mcg.

Anyone else run into this issue? I'd like to hear your story

Replies

• epiphany29
    epiphany29 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Take 125 one day, and 137 the other day. It will average out. I am between doses too. I take 90 mg of Armour 1 day and 120 the next to average 105.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I agree with epiphany, if 125 is too little and 137 too much you seem to need the middle ground, averaging will probably do it for you. You will need to discuss this plan with your doctor at some stage because you will need the two values to continue.

What matters is, what is right for you. All the best.
  • RedBec7
    RedBec7 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    As other posters have said, alternating between the doses may do the trick. I'm alternating between 105 and 90 of Armour Thyroid right now. 105 gave me hyper symptoms - heart palpitations and anxiety. I've been alternating for about a week and my hyper symptoms are gone but I feel so tired. I hope I'm not going hypo. Work is really busy so maybe I just need a nap :)
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I have a follow up question. I was a bit on the hyper side with 75mg of Synthroid and a total of 200mg of Cytomel each day. I was told to cut the Cytomel to 100 a day. I feel sluggish. Not as bad as without, but "off." Can I try 50 in one dose and 100 in another with Cytomel per day?
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    slieber, I would be inclined to make a pain of myself and go back to the doctor again on this because it is not suiting you. To halve the dose as a starting point seems a rather drastic idea. Reducing by 50, which I think you may be thinking now, might have been a more realistic starting point. I think you need to get proper advice on this or at least make your thought know in the right places.

All the very best.
    I wish I had stamped my feet in the distant past.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    slieber wrote: »
    I have a follow up question. I was a bit on the hyper side with 75mg of Synthroid and a total of 200mg of Cytomel each day. I was told to cut the Cytomel to 100 a day. I feel sluggish. Not as bad as without, but "off." Can I try 50 in one dose and 100 in another with Cytomel per day?

No! Please talk to your endocrinologist. Synthroid is a brand of levothyroxine (synthetic T4); Cytomel is a brand of liothyronine (synthetic T3). The dosages & administration of the two different drugs is entirely different!

You take them both on an empty stomach & wait for them to leave your stomach before eating or drinking anything but water. But Cytomel has a much, much shorter half life than Synthroid. So the above advice regarding Synthroid does not apply to Cytomel.