WLS, High Protein, and Alcohol

Options
Last weekend I experienced something that scared me.

My current diet, and as part of the pre-op for WLS is trying to emulate the eating habits of post-op. My calorie intake has averaged 1600 for the past two weeks. My macro carbs has been very low usually under 25%, while my protein is very high usually over 45%.

Friday night we went out for dinner. I had a chicken breast with marinara and mozzarella along with a side salad. I also drank over the course of four hours 3 vodka cocktails. Went to bed at 10pm. Awoke at 1:30 very thirsty (typical from dehydration of the drinks) however, I was also very dizzy and had terrible tunnel vision. This has never happened to me before, and I could only think it must have something to do with the lower calories I was eating.

Upon researching recently on alcohol use with WLS I found this article....
http://www.wlscenter.com/UseOfAlcohol.htm

It appears I placed myself into a hypoglycemic state. I have never considered myself an over drinker, but due to my size I can usually drink more than someone weighing half my size and do okay. With the new lower carb diet I am sugar deficient, and drinking like this after surgery can put me in a serious condition.

For those of you who have had the surgery, and drank alcohol prior to surgery, how has the surgery affected your alcohol consumption? Do you still have an occasionally drink when out? (for those who are past the high weight loss period.)
Please respond with the type of surgery you had.

Judi

Replies

• Bugged53
    Bugged53 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Sleeve. I was told that 1 drink would be like having 3 drinks after the surgery.
  • JudiMoving2
    JudiMoving2 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I guess what im trying to understand is can you have a drink again? Without putting yourself in danger? Does anyone who has had the surgery now after a couple years down the road enjoy a glass of wine? Or cocktail? Or do you get ill when attempted??
  • madmags
    madmags Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I have not drank yet after my surgery but yes I can without being at risk. I had the RNY and was told the alcohol will hit me much harder and faster. Since the alcohol does not sit in the stomach and mix with enzymes/acids, it essentially goes straight to the intestines and begins absorbtion. I have known others that had the surgery, have had drinks and they all say the same thing. You get buzzed/drunk very fast and it wears off quickly as well. I dont think after surgery you will be putting back 3 vodka cocktails after dinner.
  • JudiMoving2
    Options
    I see articles about people trading one addiction for another.. food to alcohol. I do have drinks on the weekend or occasionally wine with a meal. I am certain that my tolerance will drop to the floor upon having surgery. I am already seeing the affects through a change in my diet. I suppose that is why this discussion started. Looking to hear from others who enjoyed their spirits before the WLS, and have learned to do so after without turning into an alcoholic.
  • april731
    april731 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    There absolutely are people that drink after WLS - I would say most people who drank before will after. I drank before surgery but I decided that I'm not drinking until I get to my goal weight. It will honestly be trial and error - everyone's tolerance and experience will be different.
  • jazzine1
    jazzine1 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I'm 8 yrs post op, I had the gastric bypass and I basically replaced my food addiction with liquor after surgery. After about a year out I began drinking, then after 2 yrs. I was drinking every weekend(Fri-Sun), sort of like a weekend alcoholic. This went on for all these years. On Jan 5th I decided to change my bad habits and haven't had a drink since. So to answer you question yes you can drink after surgery but you will get intoxicated much faster than before having the surgery.
  • jazzine1
    jazzine1 Posts: 280 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm 8 yrs post op, I had the gastric bypass in 2007 and I basically replaced my food addiction with liquor after surgery. After about a year out I began drinking, then after 2 yrs. I was drinking every weekend(Fri-Sun), sort of like a weekend alcoholic. This went on for all these years. I can recall my a Christmas party in 2009 where I had nothing to eat and only drank a couple glasses of champagne and became so intoxicated I had a moment where I blocked out. I went from sitting at a table with co-workers sipping on my glass to sitting in a back room with a close friends getting fed bread because they felt I was too drunk. That was scary the way I got so drunk off of champagne no less, when before surgery it did nothing to me. On Jan 5th I decided to change my bad habits and haven't had a drink since. So to answer you question yes you can drink after surgery but you will get intoxicated much faster than before having the surgery.

(Sorry had to repost because I couldnt delete or edit previous post.)
  • JudiMoving2
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story. It is another consideration for me upon having surgery. I could joke that I am from the State of Beer and Cheese, and there are more bars/per capita than another state, but the truth is alcohol consumption is a part of my social life now. From wine tasting to after dinner cocktail, having surgery will change how I relate to my world today, not just by what or how much I eat, but the social circles which I spend time.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    From wine tasting to after dinner cocktail, having surgery will change how I relate to my world today, not just by what or how much I eat, but the social circles which I spend time.

This is VERY true. Eating and drinking can't really be past-times any more. I haven't had more than a tiny sip of beer since surgery, and this is just me, but I feel that alcohol is empty calories and not worth it to me. I would rather use my calories for protein. I liked drinking before, but now, I don't miss it. I am more focused on my weight loss and health. In the orientation I attended, the surgeon there said if you don't feel you can make certain lifestyle changes, such as changing your eating or drinking habits, surgery might not be for you.

• pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I am 3.5 years out and have had the occasional vodka shot or glass of wine and even a little beer (the carbonation got to me so I didn't drink the whole thing). I have found that no matter what it is, it goes to my head very quickly. The issue as I see it, is the timing. We don't drink with meals, so going out to dinner and getting a drink is wasteful. I wind up leaving most of it behind. The few times I've had something to drink were without meals/food. Maybe that's why it goes to my head so fast.

Socializing for me no longer revolves around food or drink. And if I am in a social situation where alcohol is offered, I typically get water with a lime floating in it. I still have a drink in my hand, but know that I am still in control and able to drive when it's all over.
  • lorilbuckner1
    lorilbuckner1 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    pawoodhull wrote: »
    Socializing for me no longer revolves around food or drink. And if I am in a social situation where alcohol is offered, I typically get water with a lime floating in it. I still have a drink in my hand, but know that I am still in control and able to drive when it's all over.
    This is going to be a challenge for me. So many family events are centered around food!! Not that I haven't found ways to adjust my eating at them, I have, but.. Its the mind set of planning things around food or social drinks. I'm not a big drinker by any means but, strictly social, but as I said it's that mind set!!
  • nowucme
    nowucme Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but I have to say I don't think alcohol is, in any way, a necessary part of life. If that is what you need to give up to be healthy then give it up. Just my opinion.
  • HarryWestSide
    Options
    If you drink occasionally then you will become intoxicated much quicker but.... the intoxication will also pass much quicker. I'm many years out of lap band and I didn't drink for the first few years, I now do drink though. .. i try not to drink much beer because its so fattening but I love my bourbon drinks. So my 2 cents is.... u can drink u will become intoxicated quicker but u will also sober up quicker. Also I experienced the tunnel vision intoxication u mentioned the first few times I drank and "got drunk".
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    pawoodhull wrote: »
    Socializing for me no longer revolves around food or drink.
    This is going to be a challenge for me. So many family events are centered around food!! Not that I haven't found ways to adjust my eating at them, I have, but.. Its the mind set of planning things around food or social drinks. I'm not a big drinker by any means but, strictly social, but as I said it's that mind set!!

Lori, I make sure when socializing with family and friends that I bring food too. It helps me be able to stay on track better. There's always something there I can have and when you add what I bring, I can socially eat with everyone else. When in a business situation where I can't bring food, I tend to eat before I go then I can easily have a little nibble without overdoing it. I'm so consious of overfilling and being sick in public, that since I go full, I eat very little at the function.