Blood Sugar on Keto

Options
iris8pie
iris8pie Posts: 224 Member
edited February 2015 in Social Groups
Do any of you test your blood sugar?
I dont have diabetes but I was curious and got a little blood test kit at the drug store yesterday. I ate a big keto meal for breakfast, and an hour later my blood sugar was 70. (which is roughly half of what they say blood sugar should be after a meal)

anyone else test your blood sugar? what is normal while in ketosis?

Replies

• radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    "normal after a meal" that you're reading about assumes a bunch of carbs in a standard diet. Without the carbs, your blood sugar isn't going to move much. As long as you are feeling fine, 70 is perfectly fine.

I'm diabetic, but with keto I don't need any meds. I just tested myself about 45 minutes after eating my bacon and eggs w/ cheese and my blood sugar is 76. I hadn't been testing any for awhile because I haven't had any problems. 76 is lower than I'm used to seeing. For awhile I was seeing numbers mostly in the 80s and 90s, even after meals, occasionally creeping up to 105-110, but nothing at all like what I would see on a standard diet, even when I was controlling things pretty darn well while still eating carbs.

"Normal in ketosis" varies from person to person but for most people who are doing strict keto without cheating and are keto adapted, I would say a standard fasting range (testing your blood sugar when you wake up, before eating) would be anywhere from 60-100. It can very heavily from individual to individual though.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    iris8pie wrote: »
    Do any of you test your blood sugar?
    I dont have diabetes but I was curious and got a little blood test kit at the drug store yesterday. I ate a big keto meal for breakfast, and an hour later my blood sugar was 70. (which is roughly half of what they say blood sugar should be after a meal)

anyone else test your blood sugar? what is normal while in ketosis?

70 is a beautiful thing. Check it after about 5 or 6 hours of fasting, like when you wake up, or before dinner. If you go lower than 60, you should be checked for hypoglycemia (too low blood glucose).

It might not be a bad idea to check after exercise also. Same rule applies.

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan

• KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    70 is great. After a keto meal I'm between 90-110 but I'm diabetic so that is a good result. You don't eat carbs your blood sugar doesn't go up, simple as that. :)

• iris8pie
    iris8pie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    you guys are Awesome! Thank you! <3