Seen your surgery movie ? Would like to ?

Options
bivanusro
bivanusro Posts: 23 Member
I have just passed my 3 months check up with flying colors today :D I asked my surgeon for the laparoscopic cam movie of my surgery and today he delivered the DVD. I watched the whole procedure and it was really interesting , I have even more respect for him <3 and I also know how I look on the inside having seen not only my old/new stomach but also my liver and pancreas.
Have anyone else saw his/her surgery movie ? Would you like to see it or not ?

Replies

• tlogesi
    tlogesi Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I asked before my surgery, (12/11/14) My Doctor said No. I go back for my 6 week followup on Tuesday, I'm going to ask again.
  • ender_kb
    ender_kb Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hm, that would be interesting. My surgery was over 5 years ago, i wonder if they have it?
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I didn't get to see the video, but I asked for and received a picture of the portion of my stomach that they removed. It was interesting to see the staples on the removed part.
  • tlogesi
    tlogesi Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Asked again, Doc still said no.
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I wasn't even aware there was such a thing. I go in for my 3 mo check in a couple weeks, I'm going to ask.
  • adiggs2777
    adiggs2777 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Nope. And I have no desire to see it either. They gave me pictures after my endoscopy and those kind of freaked me out. Like, hey yo, here are your organs. LOL!
  • bivanusro
    Options
    I have asked a bit around , and found out more about this issue:
    - laparoscopic operations always use camera recordings
    - some practices have a "loop" recorder that does not actually save the movie
    - most practices have a recorder that has the option to save the movie on flash card/usb stick / DVD
    - in Romania ,before you get operated you sign a lot of papers and I there is a line saying you agree that any data including pictures/films can be use by the practice for scientific/medical purposes without your personal data being used
    - the doc told me that by now (2500+ surgeries) they usually keep the movie on the recorder for about 2 weeks just in case complications occur , and then is written over.
    - they do however ALWAYS save the filming for difficult / unusual operations

Main was an easy one and unless I've asked for it would've been deleted.
    I am not sure how things are in the US for example , where people tend to sue more often , so probably the medical practices are more weary of this. :(
  • bivanusro
    Options
    adiggs2777 wrote: »
    Like, hey yo, here are your organs. LOL!

Actually this is exactly why I wanted the recording , you can see the liver and the pancreas , two of the vital organs and usually the most affected ones by obesity.
    I had Type 2 Diabetes before the VSG , and was really interested if I have an affected pancreas. Turns out it's a normal one <3 and THAT was the cause of my Diabetes , as the normal insulin production was simply not enough for the body of a small whale :D
    The liver is ok too , a bit fatty - not a surprise really - but a nice smooth surface with no spots or other baddies.
    My GP and my Diabetes Doctor were both in heaven when I've showed them , they've been near me for some years now o:)
  • Jessicadmx
    Jessicadmx Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I would love to see my video just out of curiosity (I am a nurse ) but I had a significant complication so I am sure he would say no... And I would hate for him to think I was making a case against him or something.