Dark Under Eye Circles

Options
pennyk54166
pennyk54166 Posts: 18 Member
Happy Monday!!
Does anyone with Hypo/Hashi have issues with incredibly dark under eye circles? I have tried everything. I use concealer in the morning. By mid-morning, you can't even tell. Any ideas on how to lighten the under eye or a type of cosmetic that has worked for you? I have even been asked if I had gotten hit in the eye!! I have this issue with both eyes and have learned that it goes along with Hypo.
thanks!

Replies

• MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I haven't found anything that works much better than concealer. I use mineral make-up and concealer. I had an IPL photofacial recently to reduce brown spots (from genetics) and also hoping that the laser might target the dark circles. It worked great on the brown spots, but did nothing for the circles.. (The RN told me that it wouldn't but, of course, I had to take the chance!)

All the advice I ever see relates to getting rid of bags, which cause shadows. I don't have bags, just circles. It sounds like you're the same.

If anyone knows something that works better, please share! Especially if there is something that helps long-term or permanently.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I have seen references to dark circles in relation to salicylate. Salicyate is the active ingredient in aspirin, and a toxin, but is also in the most highly considered fruits and veg, herbs, teas, spices, all the good things. You could try looking on the Salicylate Sensitivity site. The original work was done by an Australian University Hospital Dietitian, Anne Swane. A general search dark circles and salicylate might come up with something.
  • cindyrunner
    cindyrunner Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and have for years. I just recently learned that Hypo symptoms can cause the dark circles. I always thought it was just my genetics. I will check back because I would love to know if there is something out there that can help. Thanks
  • maracuya23
    maracuya23 Posts: 122
    Options
    I've noticed mine get significantly better when my numbers are good for me (TSH around 1, mid-level ft4, above midrange ft3), and when my iron levels improved. They might go hand in hand, might be a coincidence without any causation. Good nutrition levels never hurt though, so maybe worth asking your doctor to run a nutrition panel and correct anything off.
  • ELEANOR43da
    ELEANOR43da Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I am thankful to hear I am not the only one. Its terrible. I have paid so much out to produt but no result. Will definitely check in for more comments
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I've noticed mine get significantly better when my numbers are good for me (TSH around 1, mid-level ft4, above midrange ft3), and when my iron levels improved. They might go hand in hand, might be a coincidence without any causation. Good nutrition levels never hurt though, so maybe worth asking your doctor to run a nutrition panel and correct anything off.
    Have you talked to both your GP & your endocrinologist? Perhaps the problem has nothing at all to do with your thyroid.
  • maracuya23
    maracuya23 Posts: 122
    Options
    Both my GP and endo are lovely women who listen. Neither has a scientific approach, neither is very well-versed in any recent science on the thyroid. They're good at fixing big obvious issues, not so much at chasing subtle symptoms they view as more "cosmetic" than worrisome. My approach is from a science perspective: consistent data and observation, and change one variable at a time to see effects. When I chart my own symptoms and compare them to measured values of my thyroid (ft3, ft4, and indirectly via tsh), and measured values of my iron levels, I see a correlation. Totally possible that something else that goes hand in hand with those measurements that I'm not measuring (maybe my sleep quality is better when my thyroid works better, for example) is the actual direct cause of improvement.

I wish I was closer to a research facility with folks doing primary thyroid research!
  • nmwhitney12
    nmwhitney12 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have always had the same problem! I have found that making sure I am keeping hydrated keeps them a little lighter and getting my 8 hours of sleep...when my levels are fluctuating like crazy they seem to lighten as well...I don't really wear make up so I can't say anything on that. :(
  • txrn123
    txrn123 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I'm new to MFP, started 2 weeks ago. I ignored my hypothyroid for years...decades. Would start and stop Synthroid til I had a scare a couple months ago. Dark circles, puffy eyes, exhaustion. Turns out because my periods were sooo heavy, I was anemic. Granted it doesn't help that I was a vegetarian making not so good diet choices but between my iron being low and being anemic, my facen had gotten pale, bloated, dark circles.
    I have been staying on meds consistently since November and feel/look better. TSH is now normal but I know it will take a good amount of time to get my body back into shape. Between a normal TSH and now doing MFP, I hope to lose the 100 pounds I need to lose! I'm still a vegetarian. The doc gave me a daily iron supplement to take.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I've had dark circles for as long as I can remember, though they definitely could be worse. I've been told that they are caused by/worsened by allergies -- so for those of us with autoimmune disorders, that tracks. I find that mine are better when I'm not eating gluten, as I've found I have a sensitivity to that. Not celiac bad, but it definitely seems to spark the hypo episodes more and I've them far less often now that I don't eat it. I probably have sensitivities to other things as well, but I haven't found anything else yet (dairy seems to be fine for me).
  • chiccam
    chiccam Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I use a yellow under eye concealer that works well. I have noticed that the dark circles and puffy eyes come with my symptoms. Also I was surprised to find if I get more than 8 hours of sleep (when I'm hypo) my eyes puff up like I've been bawling.
  • BadgerFaced
    BadgerFaced Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've had raccoon eyes since a child when I was diagnosed. Many have commented on it but I really don't see the point on getting makeup to cover it up. It's just something I deal with that other folks don't get.
  • FloriBamaGirl
    FloriBamaGirl Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have genetic anemia and hypo, the dark circles have been around for a long time. Just learned to love them as part of me.
  • Ms_Enzo1313
    Ms_Enzo1313 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Once again I never thought my dark circles/puffiness around the eyes were linked to my thyroid issues (HashiMoto!) Makes sense, and I am also anemic - so I have taken to using night creams and dark circle cream (ROC). I used warm or cold towel depending on the season to reduce the puffiness around the eyes. I also sit in the sauna for as long as I can when I hit the gym it helps me feel better.
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I have terrible under eye circles :(
  • Zappit9
    Zappit9 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with a goiter when I was 10 and have had dark under eye circles as long as I can remember. As I have aged they have annoyed me more so I have recently begun battling them. So far taking probiotics have started to help with the allergen issue. I just started using coconut oil before bed as my under eye cream and am very pleased.
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Mine improved when my iron/ferritin got into the high range of optimal.