My exercise not being listed on MFP My Home Newsfeed

Options
Prior to owning a Fitbit Charge HR, when using MFP, I manually entered on MFP each of my exercises for the day. Then, on MFP My Home newsfeed, it would list for my friends to see my cardio activities and my calories burned doing them. This was in addition to the separate line mention on the daily newsfeed for me that said I completed my entry and was under my calories or simply completed my entry.

Now, with Fitbit, I don't need to manually enter my cardio activities. My fitbit is synced with MFP and my exercise calories go to MFP directly. I no longer need to manually enter my cardio into MFP.

Now however, the MFP My Home newsfeed does not list a line saying how many calories I burned due to workouts. Just the line like before that says I completed my entry.

Is there a setting on MFP that I can change to have MFP list my calories burned in the My Home newsfeed?

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Manually make a post about your workout, sharing more details than the piddling one would show. See my wall for examples.

You were logging your workout info, now just take the time to enter a wall post.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Fitbit exercise, steps or burns do not post to your newsfeed. Some people log their exercise in MFP as 1 calorie. DO NOT do this. Exercise logged in MFP overwrites your Fitbit burn during that time.

As heybales said above, post your workout info as a status update.
  • JonKinarthy
    JonKinarthy Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I use Endomondo to track specific exercises because it posts to my MFP wall, which is an important feature for me. I use my Charge HR to track daily stuff, and it takes into account my Endomondo exercize and posts a negative or positive adjustment into my food diary. It took me some time to get the right push settings and linkages on the three apps (Endomondo, MFP and Fitbit), but now it works flawlessly. So I recommend Endomondo (which is free).
  • aparmet
    aparmet Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I really wish MyFitnessPal would let Fitbit post newly recorded steps to the news feed each time I sync with my Fitbit app. It's hard to manually keep track of activity on a stationary bike or elliptical. My news feed always looks like I NEVER do any activity, other than eat food. It's very frustrating.
  • heybales
    Options
    aparmet wrote: »
    I really wish MyFitnessPal would let Fitbit post newly recorded steps to the news feed each time I sync with my Fitbit app. It's hard to manually keep track of activity on a stationary bike or elliptical. My news feed always looks like I NEVER do any activity, other than eat food. It's very frustrating.

Oh please no - the device auto-syncs after about 100 increase in calories, Fitbit to MFP about the same with new calories and step count - so then there would be updates to step counts, and perhaps you were sitting during that 100 increase in calories so little to no step change - constantly all day long on many people's feeds.

Not really useful info - we pretty much all walk all day long.

Besides - how would people seeing your step count show you were doing workouts compared to just life?

Just make a wall post about your workout with some details to enthrall others.

And if using step-based device with no HRM - you need to manually log bike and elliptical on Fitbit anyway - as steps for those are incorrect formula for calorie burn.
    I mean - if you are interested in accuracy of calorie burn and not merely having steps.
  • thatwildgirl
    thatwildgirl Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Okay. So I have a question. and I've some of the other posts about it, but its still not making sense to me. When I use my fitbit, I don't think it is accurately synching calories to MFP.

For instance today, I manually logged cardio on my fitbit because of the calorie burn. So I burned 450 calories. I then went to work where I walk around a lot and took about 6,000 more steps. But when it synched with MFP it said that my exercise was 357 total for the morning. Where is the calorie burn from the run????
  • heybales
    Options
    Fitbit does not sync workouts over to MFP, only the total calorie burn.

MFP takes that and subtracts what it thought you'd burn anyway based on your selection of activity level - the difference is your adjustment.

You could have no exercise but be very active and get big adjustment.
    You could workout and then be really lazy and get no adjustment.

Only way to confirm if MFP is doing math with recent Fitbit figure is to look at the details on that Fitbit adjustment as to the time of the sync and calories at that time - does it match what Fitbit says or said?
    Fitbit only syncs over new daily total when it's about 100 more than last time.

You'd probably benefit from reading the Fitbit faq.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10098937/faq-syncing-logging-food-exercise-calorie-adjustments-activity-levels-accuracy/p1