Searching for Fellow Hikers

Options
lika50
lika50 Posts: 140 Member
Hello! Just looking to acquire some MFP friends who love to hike! It's my goal to thru-hike the PCT someday (hopefully sooner rather than later) and would love to connect with souls who love the trail as much as I do. Motivation from like-minded people can be so helpful on this weight loss journey!

(And this is a repost - sorry! Not sure if there is a hiking group on MFP?)

Replies

• mamarundrc
    mamarundrc Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I love hiking and am looking to do a lot more in 2015. My husband and I might start doing some trail running as well as a way to combine our running with the outdoors.
  • MountainMaggie
    MountainMaggie Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner and a hiker. My job actually involves a lot of hiking...like 10 hours a day sometimes. I mostly run on pavement, but am integrating trail running more as I become better trained. Training for a marathon! Ran my first half in september. both of you should add me.
  • jschmiett
    jschmiett Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner and a hiker as well. I hope to get in some snowshoeing this winter and try to start trail running this spring. Feel free to add me.
  • HatherM
    HatherM Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Hi feel free to add me. I love hiking & living in North Wales, UK there are plenty of gorgeous places to go like the lakes & mountains. I want to focus more on it this year too, so I am planning as many Saturday hikes as I can fit in (so far January is full :smiley: )

What is: It's my goal to thru-hike the PCT someday ??? Not heard of this before
  • beachlover83
    beachlover83 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie hiker! Went on my first backpacking trip last summer. Hubby and I are going on a trip next week and hope to get in some hiking then. Plan to take some backpacking trips out West hopefully in the next year, which is one of my motivations for getting in shape! Feel free to add me!
  • beachlover83
    Options
    HatherM wrote: »
    Hi feel free to add me. I love hiking & living in North Wales, UK there are plenty of gorgeous places to go like the lakes & mountains. I want to focus more on it this year too, so I am planning as many Saturday hikes as I can fit in (so far January is full :smiley: )

PCT is the Pacific Crest Trail. Runs along the West coast of the US

• HatherM
    HatherM Posts: 404 Member
    Options

ohhh thanks for that.
    That looks like an amazing hike! Wow! If I ever have the money to come over to the US I would most definitely like to attempt this :smile:
  • The_Sandra
    The_Sandra Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Avid hiker/camper/snowshoer here! A couple of years ago I moved from the mountainous side to the flat side of my state and I miss my trails! I used to be able to go for a decent hike 30 minutes from my house, and now it's at least a two hour drive to get any elevation. My husband and I plan to hike the entire Wonderland Trail in the next couple of years. It's a 90-mile hike that circumnavigates the base of Mt Rainier, and should take us about 10 days.

I also have a fantasy of completing the PCT, but with three kids, that's not going to happen any time soon! Maybe when they're all done with school :smiley:
  • beachlover83
    Options

ohhh thanks for that.
    That looks like an amazing hike! Wow! If I ever have the money to come over to the US I would most definitely like to attempt this :smile:

There's a book and movie out about Cheryl Strayed who did a majority of the PCT called Wild. It's a good read & good movie!
  • lenayaguinaruiz
    lenayaguinaruiz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am a huge hiker! moved from colorado to san diego and looking for new trails and good hikes as well. Add me and we can share. :)
  • mamarundrc
    mamarundrc Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    The_Sandra wrote: »
    Avid hiker/camper/snowshoer here! A couple of years ago I moved from the mountainous side to the flat side of my state and I miss my trails! I used to be able to go for a decent hike 30 minutes from my house, and now it's at least a two hour drive to get any elevation. My husband and I plan to hike the entire Wonderland Trail in the next couple of years. It's a 90-mile hike that circumnavigates the base of Mt Rainier, and should take us about 10 days.

I also have a fantasy of completing the PCT, but with three kids, that's not going to happen any time soon! Maybe when they're all done with school :smiley:

Snowshoeing is on my list of things I want to try! I don't think it is in the cards for this year (since I have no snowshoes and we don't have any snow yet) but hopefully within the next couple years.
  • MountainMaggie
    MountainMaggie Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have a 15 mile mountainous trail race on the 31st. I have officially combined hiking and running, two of my favorite things. I bet I would love snowshoeing. Maybe I'll try it this year.
  • thekatielong
    Options
    Hello :) I am a hiker but not a runner. I try to travel to a new park every year to hike the trails with my dog. I'm in the Midwest and must say there are some beautiful areas. I have hiked trails on the East coast and last year tried out some parks in Texas.

A fun thing to do is find out what flaura and fauna is around the area and try to spot it on the hike. Also there's birdwatching which you can log online with the birdwatchers association :) Just some fun ideas to do in the woods.
  • Hike2BHealthier
    Hike2BHealthier Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Last year I hiked a trail that had been nearly impossible for me once a week for the year. In the process I've become addicted to hiking! My goal this year is to hike the Wonderland Trail this summer. I'd love to hike the PCT or AT, but...now isn't the right time!
  • tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I just started hiking mostly to get my dog to calm down. A tired dog is a happy dog, unfortunately it makes for a sore person.
  • thekatielong
    Options
    Tabby I feel the same way, my dog is getting cabin fever because it's too cold to go hiking. I know as soon as it gets warmer he will drag me through the trails but hopefully I will be ready lol
  • kristiru
    kristiru Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I also took up hiking about 6 years ago when I got my dog. He is a 90lb lab, and I almost feel guilty if I take time to exercise without him. Fortunately, I live near tons of great hiking (Nashville area). Even a walk in my neighborhood has some good, challenging hills.
  • Rukikat
    Rukikat Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as well! I'm in northern Colorado and close to Rocky Mountain National Park. Last summer the husband and I got the America the Beautiful pass so I can go whenever I want, and I've gone more, just not as much as I'd like. I was also scared for a while because my asthma wasn't under control, but now it is. Maybe seeing other people hiking would help motivate me more?
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I like to hike. Living in Tennessee, Id love to hike the Appalacian Trail someday. Stupid work always messing up my schedule!

My bucket list hike is to Maccu Piccu in the Andes though.