How can I still be hungry?

Options
Farmgirlfit85
Farmgirlfit85 Posts: 65 Member
edited February 2015 in Social Groups
At what point do I stop listening to my internal cues for hunger? It's the end of the day, I've eaten 1900 calories but my stomach is still saying it's hungry. What the heck man! Knock it off.

Replies

• mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    It means that your metabolism is getting into gear. It's a good thing. And it may mean that you need more calories. Are you at your TDEE? I forget if you are doing a reset. If so, this may be a time to try more calories.
  • Farmgirlfit85
    Options
    I think I'm doing the reset, I'm not really sure. I'm 29, weigh 154, 5'2", I work out at least 3 times a week for an hour plus. I also walk about 2 miles a day. Maybe some one would be willing to check and see if I'm on track. I'm eating around 1800 cals a day, but its usually more than that.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Have you put your numbers into the Scooby calculator? http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/#results

Based on what your exercise is, I'd say you're solidly in the "Moderate" activity range. That gives you a TDEE estimate of 2100+. If you're doing a reset, you will need to up your calories.

And...I looked at your diary, and I see that you're working on the protein intake. Good for you, keep upping that--25-30% of your calories in protein will help tremendously with hunger. Again, if you're in reset, up everything (aim for ~40C/30F/30P macro ratio). If you're in a cut (1800 is -15%, 1900 is closer to -10%, sometimes just 100 more makes a difference in satiating us, with little "dent" in our progress), definitely focus on 30% protein to help the hunger (at least 135g daily @1800).
  • nineateseven
    nineateseven Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I would say try upping your calories and track your numbers to see how your body responds. I'm 31 and 5'3" and I honestly thought 2400 was going to be too much for me. After being there for a week, I was still hungry. I decided to go up to maintenence for a while (somewhere between 2500-2660) and was convinced that I would gain. I didn't. The crazy hungry feeling went away and I'm still losing a little here and a little there. Lost 1/2 lb last week and 1/4-1/2 inches in different spots. Try going up a bit and see what your body does with it. Just remember that some weight fluctuations are normal. Seeing an extra 1/2 pound on the scale on a given day isn't an actual gain. What you're looking for is a trend. If I look at my weight from day to day, I'll see ups and downs. But when I look at my weigh-in day statistics, there is a steady decline by 1/2 pound or so a week.
  • Farmgirlfit85
    Options
    Hmm. I guess I don't really understand the reset concept. And I am worried about going that high with my calories. Today I gave up tracking halfway through and just ate to feel full. I mostly ate good things with lots of protein. I also think my scale may be broken. It's said 154.4 lbs for the last 3 weeks, even with a battery change.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Hmm. I guess I don't really understand the reset concept. And I am worried about going that high with my calories. Today I gave up tracking halfway through and just ate to feel full. I mostly ate good things with lots of protein. I also think my scale may be broken. It's said 154.4 lbs for the last 3 weeks, even with a battery change.

Grab your jug of milk and OJ and get on it.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I don't think your scale is broken. I think your expectations may be...it's okay to have the same weight for 3 weeks (and, in fact, normal).

I'd suggest you go and re-read about resets and a few other sticky posts in the top of this group. My TDEE as a 46 yr old, 5'6", 146 lb woman is around 2350 (for my workouts) and it's not too much food. I ate well more than that to gain weight. I made my way to this slowly and it worked. You can do it too!
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    @ Farmgirl, I don't know if this will help or not but the one thing that helped me the most was tracking and eating at a certain level consistently. It was the only way I could actually discover what I needed to do to lose weight. I average my calories out for the week and track my exercise as well. It sounds a little compulsive, at least my husband thinks it is, but now I understand my body's needs much better than I did when I started this process.

I've gone from averaging about 1400 calories a day when I started to eating closer to 1800 and still losing weight. I only lose about 1/2 lb a week but it's pretty consistent week after week so I know what's going on based on that. You have to find your maintenance level first though, and it does change based on exercise and weight loss.

Once you eat at maintenance for awhile, then you can take a slight deficit to lose. Trust the process but it only works if you're tracking............IMO. Otherwise you're second guessing why you haven't lost weight.

• Farmgirlfit85
    Options
    Alright. I'm listening lol. I upped my calories again. I will do the metabolism reset like a good girl. I was trying to shortcut and I know that's not going to help. Thank you everyone! I am really tired of dieting and I want to enjoy food, not restrict myself!
  • MacCroc
    MacCroc Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    1900 is not so much food. I am cutting now at around 2000, and I feel like I am on a pretty strict diet ;). Before the reset I used to maintain at 1400.

Do the reset, it works. You will get used to eating more, and you will love it!