How much can you eat in a meal?

Options
Today I was sure I could eat a whole 3 egg ham & cheese omelet from Perkins, only to be very full before I even ate half of it. My significant other is joking that he will end up putting on as much weight as I take off just from eating my left overs. I told him my eyes are bigger than my stomach-- possibly literally :)
I know my stomach is much smaller and yet I don't think my brain fully understands that and it still thinks it can eat the regular portions. The reality is, I seem to have a hard time getting in more than 3-5 oz per meal at the most. I am only 3 mos out, but shouldn't I be able to eat more like 6-8 oz now?

Replies

• april731
    april731 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    At 3 months out I could only eat 2 oz. That didn't change for me until about 6 months. I can at 4 oz total right now (at 10 months), which is usually 3 oz dense protein and an ounce of veg or cheese. That being said, capacity is dependent on a lot of factors: what you're eating (I.e. Dense protein vs sliders), how fast you eat, and the size of sleeves varies by surgeon's technique. Also, your own anatomy can be different - e.g. height because taller people (often? Always?) have longer stomachs than shorties like me. :-).

Your capacity will definitely get bigger over time, but it's hard to say exactly where you'll land eventually. In the meantime, don't sweat it!
  • readallday
    readallday Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm five months out and I usually eat around 4-5 oz at a time. Like April said though, it really depends on what I am eating. For lunch today I had 3.5 ounces of steak and by the last bite I was getting pretty full.
  • asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    For what it is worth, I am 4 years post, and I wouldn't have been able to eat the entire omelet in one sitting. Two eggs and a couple pieces of bacon is the norm for me and sometimes that is even too much. It all depends on the day.
    Hope this sheds a bit of light.
  • PeggyF1
    Options
    I am 2 months post op and I can eat 1 egg w/ 1 ounce of diced ham for breakfast and I am stuffed.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Im 4 months (today) and I can eat 4-5 oz and Im 4'2 :neutral_face:
  • relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I'm 3 months out. I can only eat 1 egg with 3 small strips of bacon or turkey bacon for breakfast. When I go out to eat, I end up only eating about 1/3 of my meal and brings the rest home for 2 more meals.
    I know it is such a weird feeling to think we can eat a lot more than we really can.
    The Sleeve is such a wonder tool to help us to control our portion control. I am so blessed to have had the surgery. :)
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I'm just over 6 months out and 4-6 oz is it and for the last 2 months the amount hasn't changed. I don't think that it will change more, I'm still asking for a box at restaurants for the other half.

Randy
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I am just over a year out... I can do 4-5 oz of protein and a 1/2c veg no prob. When I was where you are, I was about the same as you describe.
  • alstauch
    Options
    The amount you're eating sounds very reasonable. 3 eggs, ham & cheese seems like too much, though others are correct when they say it varies with each person. I'm 2 mo out and still can't finish 2 scrambled eggs! That's why those breakfast smoothies with 25-30 g of protein are so important. Keep up the good work!
  • SweetJulyRoses
    Options
    I'm a month out and I have no problem eating 4oz but even a bite more and I'm horribly uncomfortable. I'm also 5'10" and I wondered if height might make a difference. I also have no problems drinking 24oz of water in about 30min and have never felt the restriction when it comes to liquids, other than thick frothy protein shakes. I've wondered how normal that was too.
    Good question!
  • rscpjim
    rscpjim Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Yep I am a month out too now... YEAH!!!!! Oh and I can only eat about 4 oz at any sitting... I am actually thankful for that.. I shared a small Pizza the other day. Could only eat 1 yep thats right ONE PIECE...lol I laughed with my date and said you know before this surgery I could have eaten a large all by myself with no problem at all.. I am really digging my sleeve.... Whew may have saved my own life here..

So I will add a question.. Any one you still eating Sushi and if so how many pieces can you intake... I know my surgeon would frown on it but I figure a couple of pieces wont kill me...
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    rscpjim wrote: »
    So I will add a question.. Any one you still eating Sushi and if so how many pieces can you intake... I know my surgeon would frown on it but I figure a couple of pieces wont kill me...

At the risk of sounding harsh... at a month out, it's risky to already be doing things you think your surgeon might frown upon. I am 16 months out and I while I do re-introduce new things into my diet, I took my time and followed my surgeon's advice.

That aside... I can usually eat 3-4 ounces of meat and 1/2 cup of veggies or a small piece of fruit. I still work on getting my protein in first, but I do love veggies and I work them in as much as I can.
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options

I would be very careful about the rice. I was warned that rice is difficult because the starch in it tends to ball it up and it doesn't sit or digest well.
  • rscpjim
    Options
    LOL Just have to laugh here. Be as harsh as you wish... Didnt say I was gonna just said it wouldnt kill me. And Yeh I have followed his little advise to a T so to speak with the little exception of bread. He disagrees with what the Nutritionist harped on for 12 weeks of class I had.. But I admit only a little bit goes along way. As far as veggies go in moderation just like anything else.. The whole rice thing still intimidates me, so yeah I am in no hurry to have it plug me up. To bad you dont know me better before you comment thought...lol Preaching to the choir about following doctors orders so to speak I only put it out there to hear what others have done or heard. I have a pretty solid plan at the moment with little experimetnations..
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    The whole rice thing still intimidates me too, to be honest. I have heard so many horror stories, it's like I am being scared straight lol. I do love sushi though and I hope to try some before long. I did eat some salmon poke, and it actually settled very well, so that or sashimi are good options for you.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I'm 1.5 yrs out and am most comfortable with 3oz-5oz total depending on what it is, how dense it is. I can eat less steak than I can chili for example. At 3 months, it was closer to 2 oz. Sushi? Love it! But it took 6 months or so to tolerate rice again. Today, 1/2 roll (4pc) and I'm stuffed. Sushi rice was less of a problem then traditional "fried" rice which is okey dokey with me!
  • imboswell
    imboswell Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I am 4 months out today also. It really depends on what I am eating to how much I can eat. Meat and chicken I can eat about 4 oz. I went to dinner at the other night and ordered an 8 oz filet and was able to eat over half of it along with 2 pieces of asparagus and 2 bites of my husbands baked potato. I stayed full for 3 hours.
  • Sammers48220
    Sammers48220 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm two weeks out and I can eat about 4oz of food at a time, unless it is very dense. My doctor just allowed refried beans and cottage cheese into my diet, and it's probably closer to 3-3.5oz of that at a time. I think my sleeve is on the larger side, though.
  • rscpjim
    Options
    Well 4 oz is what I measure out now so there is no guess work. The Surgeon. Had me do this little test. Put 8 oz in a cup and eat till I was full. STOP! He said that is the size of your stomach. As long as you do not try to put more than 4 oz in I would never have to worry about stretching the tummy out or have any issues. Made sense to me lol
  • jrnguyen
    jrnguyen Posts: 92 Member
    Options

I am 5 months out and eat sushi all the time. First time was about 2 months out and I never had issues with the rice. Of course I can't eat nearly as much as I used to! I had some Saturday, 2 small salmon and half a roll (4 pieces).