Weight Gain and Anti-Depressants: Advice?

Options
Bebeharden
Bebeharden Posts: 76 Member
Hi Everyone,

I've encountered some series weight since starting anti-depressants more than 10 years ago and most recently after changing medications (5 times in fact) over the past year, I've noticed about 40 lbs. of weight gain. This has made things worse, mental health wise, as well as physically. My most recent medication change has even caused a 5 lb weight gain in less than 2 weeks! I was wondering if anyone has any advice/ tips on how to successfully lose weight while taking anti-depressants or resources? I'm up for nearly anything. Thanks in advance!

PS: I'm posting this in a few different forums, so apologies if you're seeing this more than once :)

Replies

• JanetC1971
    JanetC1971 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi there!
    It seems counter-intuitive doesn't it? You are on anti-depressants to feel better only to feel only to feel worse because you're gaining weight. I'm not too sure what you've tried or what you can use, but there are some antidepressants that are not supposed to cause mystery weight gain. Can you talk to your doctor about that? Also and I know it's the dead of winter, but if it's possible, can you take a walk in the sunshine? I know for me walking makes me feel better along with my antidepressants. You got this!
  • hstack2
    Options
    Hi there! I've experienced the same thing- I've gained about 15 pounds over the past 6 months- and I'm looking to lose! It's tough because anti-depressants are needed for your mental health (mine are for my anxiety and they have done absolute wonders for me) I think it's probably most important to look at your activity levels and food intake. I recently moved to another city and started a masters program- I also got a sports injury- all of which could be contributing to the weight gain. But I think it's important to put things into perspective- the antidepressants are helpful- so you have to tweak your activity and eating to make things work for you. Ultimately- you may never lose those last "stubborn pounds" but when you get to a healthy weight and are no longer at risk for diabetes or high blood pressure- I think a little extra weight is ok!
    - Anyway that's my thought process - I'm studying to be a doctor and have a particular interest in this area :)
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Weight gain is a side effect of some drugs however, the food actually has to go in to your mouth and get eaten. You can exert some control over the process ie follow a eating plan that you like - me I count calories and the macros as well. I avoid processed food becasue they encourage fluid retention and sluggishness. Try to move more, exercise in some shape or other. Exerise is brilliant for depression and has been shown to improve mood better than anti-depressants. However keep taking your medication I'm not advocating stopping them.
    - Eat less, move more.
  • Bebeharden
    Bebeharden Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice! It's really helpful and appreciated :)
  • a05jwal
    a05jwal Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    i think so many people try to find blame on things for weight gain.. what roaring gael said is exact... the food is what causes the gain, not the drugs. I was on antianxiety and depression meds in past I think the worst side effect and I ahve tried plenty of them is the laziness that comes iwth them. I always felt lazy and tired, my therapist said you have to take that or anxiety then one day i said enough and started exercising big time (like dropping sweat for a good 45 minutes) and eating better, incredible i sleep better and no more medicine. I know some people have to take drugs but I woudl avoid them if possible.
  • brattyally82
    brattyally82 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I know from speaking to my doctors that weight gain can definitely be a side effect from certain antidepressants or anti-anxiety medications. Personally, I'm on Bupropion (Wellbutrin) and according to the two doctors I've consulted with, it tends to have the least effect on weight- although it does assist in weight loss in some people (my weight has not gone down because of the medication.) If you like what you are on though, just really watch your calories and keeping moving! If you're not happy with the results of your scripts- definitely talk to your doctor!
  • Wibbly1960
    Wibbly1960 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think other contributors have put their finger on the issue... and that is get out and exercise as it truly does lift your spirits and increase your dopamine levels. This time of year it is more of a struggle with the damp, cold and less daylight but the nights are drawing out now so get well wrapped up and get sweaty... This is what I have to do, having spent a lot of winter doing far less than I did in the Summer and have put on 15lbs as a consequence... I have also got to force myself out of bed and onto my feet to walk or cycle... my motivation has gone for now but if I force myself perhaps it will come back! :-)

Wendy T
    Sheffield, England
    Age 54
    Lost 70lb and regained 15 of the bloody things!
  • a05jwal
    a05jwal Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I agree exercise does wonders mentally.. wonders. I never got it until now and I am almost 40.. I work out in the am and intensely for 60 minutes, sleep like a baby and was able to go off my meds. My therapist said there is a lot of proof that exercise (intense cardio) is better than most anti depressants. I do know some need them though so talk to your doctor. I wish i would have believed this years ago it would have saved me from a lot of issues.