Carbs and Fruits

Options
Bebeharden
Bebeharden Posts: 76 Member
Hi Everyone,

I'm considering reducing carbs in my diet, but most low-carb diets don't include fruit and I LOVE fruit. I use fruit to replace sugary snacks and dessert. Any advice on how to manage without fruit? Especially when it comes to satisfying my sweet tooth? Thanks!

Replies

• lauraeisenman1
    lauraeisenman1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Carbs provide energy, and if you're choosing to fuel your body with GOOD carbs (whole grains, legumes, veggies and fruit) your body won't freak out! I found this article from livestrong.com talking about fruit...

"Fruits are another category of healthy whole foods that supply you with carbohydrates. Although fruit provides more sugar than the other categories of good carbohydrates, it's a natural sugar. They also contain a variety of vitamins, minerals, fiber and phytonutrients that help make fruits good for you. Consider adding a whole piece of fruit or sliced fruit, such as apples, pears, oranges, melons, peaches, nectarines and bananas, as a snack in between meals. A mixed fruit salad also makes a healthy dessert or snack that helps boost your good carbohydrate intake."

Good luck, girlfriend!
  • TBrownCVT
    TBrownCVT Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Berries have fewer carbs. I try to get a bunch when they're on sale.
    Do you like really dark chocolate?
    Also, getting more healthy fats in your diet like coconut oil, seeds, and grassfed meats and dairy products will help reduce carb cravings.
  • devoslosingit
    devoslosingit Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I personally would cut out all the bad carbs before cutting out fruit. You'd be amazed how much room you have for good carbs when you cut out chips, potatos, dips, dressings, marinades, etc.