Calorie goal

Options
debrag12
debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
How do people set their calorie goal target? Say my goal is 1800 do I just eat 1800 regardless of the fitbit adjustments or do I 'net' 1800

Replies

• Liftin4food
    Liftin4food Posts: 175 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    It depends how you got your goal number. If it was set by MFP then you net that number. If you used a calculator to find your TDEE then your activity is included in that number so you just eat that.
  • Liftin4food
    Liftin4food Posts: 175 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Duplicate post.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Set your MFP weight-loss goal to .5 lb. per week for every 25 lbs. you need to lose.

Enable negative calorie adjustments in your MFP diary settings.

Follow your MFP calorie goal, eating back your Fitbit adjustments.

Bottom line: your Fitbit burn is your TDEE (aka your maintenance calories). If you eat at a reasonable deficit from that, you will lose weight.
  • debrag12
    Options
    oh i know I'm not looking to eat at my fitbit burn, that currently is set at a goal of 2578

I'm thinking that by following a TDEE -10 or 20% the deficit could actually be higher at the end of the day by allowing for an increased TDEE using calorie adjustments. Using MFP would mean the same deficit as I aim for my net calories to be the same as my goal calories.

Should my 'normal daily activity calories' target be the same as my fitbit target i.e 2578? Currently it is 2440 or should I just put sedentary?

My calorie goal on MFP is 1940, whereas so far my fitbit goal is 1882.

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    The Fitbit burn target is merely a goal. You set it to whatever level leaves you at at realistic eating goal when you remove a deficit.

Say you know you want to eat about 2000 daily, you can sustain that.
    And you want to lose 1 lb weekly, or 500 cal deficit daily.
    So you set the daily burn goal to 2500.
    Knowing when you reach it, you get to eat 2000 or more for the day.

That goal has no bearing on any math the MFP does, nor on what Fitbit sends to MFP to do math with.

You can mimic the TDEE - 10-20% by picking a weight loss goal on MFP that equals about the same amount.

For instance, you burn 2500 as goal and usually reach it, you want 20% goal, that's 500 deficit calories - bam - 1 lb weight loss goal on MFP.

If you'd rather just manually make an eating goal that is 10-20% off your average weekly TDEE as shown by Fitbit (with corrections to exercise as needed on Fitbit site), then you'll need to unsync your accounts and lose the ease of use.
    But if you like a single daily eating goal for better planning, and workouts are consistent and about the same, then that can workout.

But you can't sync and maintain a single eating goal.

You can fiddle with the MFP activity level and attempt to minimize any calorie adjustments from syncing, and having a really small range of eating goals.

Take your Fitbit weekly email for stats, and see what your average daily burn was.

Divide that TDEE by the BMR that MFP is using. Apps - BMR calc.
    There's your personal activity factor, much better than any rough 5 level TDEE chart could give you.
    Now to make MFP close, use the Activity level with the closest factor, not under, closest.
    Sedentary - 1.25
    Lightly Active - 1.4
    Active - 1.6
    Very Active 1.8

Set your activity level to that which is closest. Set weight loss goal to maintain.
    Now manually set your eating goal to 10-20% less than average TDEE.

Now your daily eating goal will go up and down slightly as you hover around that average TDEE.

Variance could be big still if you have like just 3 days of big exercise workouts. Big negatives, big positives.
  • MissPeppers
    MissPeppers Posts: 302 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I put my MFP activity level to Sedentary and set my goal to my average kcal intake goal and let Fitbit do the activity correction sync to MFP. Then I use Fitbit to see my kcal intake vs burn to keep track of my kcal intake. I find this is the easiest and most correct way to set it up for my use.
  • debrag12
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    The Fitbit burn target is merely a goal. You set it to whatever level leaves you at at realistic eating goal when you remove a deficit.

Say you know you want to eat about 2000 daily, you can sustain that.
    And you want to lose 1 lb weekly, or 500 cal deficit daily.
    So you set the daily burn goal to 2500.
    Knowing when you reach it, you get to eat 2000 or more for the day.

That goal has no bearing on any math the MFP does, nor on what Fitbit sends to MFP to do math with.

You can mimic the TDEE - 10-20% by picking a weight loss goal on MFP that equals about the same amount.

For instance, you burn 2500 as goal and usually reach it, you want 20% goal, that's 500 deficit calories - bam - 1 lb weight loss goal on MFP.

If you'd rather just manually make an eating goal that is 10-20% off your average weekly TDEE as shown by Fitbit (with corrections to exercise as needed on Fitbit site), then you'll need to unsync your accounts and lose the ease of use.
    But if you like a single daily eating goal for better planning, and workouts are consistent and about the same, then that can workout.

But you can't sync and maintain a single eating goal.

You can fiddle with the MFP activity level and attempt to minimize any calorie adjustments from syncing, and having a really small range of eating goals.

Take your Fitbit weekly email for stats, and see what your average daily burn was.

Divide that TDEE by the BMR that MFP is using. Apps - BMR calc.
    There's your personal activity factor, much better than any rough 5 level TDEE chart could give you.
    Now to make MFP close, use the Activity level with the closest factor, not under, closest.
    Sedentary - 1.25
    Lightly Active - 1.4
    Active - 1.6
    Very Active 1.8

Set your activity level to that which is closest. Set weight loss goal to maintain.
    Now manually set your eating goal to 10-20% less than average TDEE.

Now your daily eating goal will go up and down slightly as you hover around that average TDEE.

Variance could be big still if you have like just 3 days of big exercise workouts. Big negatives, big positives.

My activity factor is between lightly active & active so I take it I should pick active which I already have.

Thing I had set it up like you mentioned without realising it.
  • adriat
    adriat Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    So - when my Fitbit syncs with MFP - am I supposed to be eating the extra calories the MFP gives me (ie...is it still on track with my original 1.5 per week goal?) Or do I still need to stick with the original (no activity) amount of calories? Sorry for post hijacking!!!
    -
  • rorlie
    rorlie Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    adriat wrote: »
    So - when my Fitbit syncs with MFP - am I supposed to be eating the extra calories the MFP gives me (ie...is it still on track with my original 1.5 per week goal?) Or do I still need to stick with the original (no activity) amount of calories? Sorry for post hijacking!!!
    -

This is my question as well...I just started using my FitBit with MFP today. Previously, with MFP doing my calculations I was on 1220 calories and then whatever I earned for my workout that day...sometimes I ate the extra and other times I did not. Now that I have it linked with FB, I still input the activity on MFP with the starting time it indicates and now I get the activity calories from my workout plus the adjustment from FB. Am I suppose to eat this new total for the day? I am so confused!!!! I hope someone can help in English without all those calculations, etc lol :) Thanks much!
  • heybales
    Options
    You always eat the daily goal given by MFP - which of course adjusts if you do more - you eat more.

And the same deficit is still there.

You have lazy day and burn 2000, eat 1500. 500 deficit.
    You have big day and burn 2500, eat 2000. Whala! 500 deficit.
  • adriat
    adriat Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    So the MFP goal adjusts with the activity which includes the 500 deficit? Sorry so lame :(
  • heybales
    Options
    It's different than other sites where you give a planned amount of exercise, they estimate total weekly burn averaged back out daily, and set the same daily goal.
    But then you better do the exercise for some of the deficit to actually occur.

MFP expects no exercise done to calc the daily goal. But when done you log it, so now you've burned more, you eat more.

That's why the Fitbit calorie adjustment appears on the exercise tab, even though it may not even be exercise causing the increase, because then it's correctly added to your eating goal to keep the same deficit.

They could have done it differently, and as much confusion as it causes they probably should have. I'm sure they thought it would be an easy way out.

Considering how many things can sync in now, they should have started off on better foot.
  • bmellor1
    bmellor1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your answer - I have been struggling with the same thing. In my head I am so hesitant to eat the extra calories after a good workout. When I look at the math you've put up, then it begins to make sense and I've adjusted my burn on FB after averaging my calories burned for a week. I am on the short/small side, and so for a lazy day, we're talking pretty darn low, which just shows I need to keep moving.
  • rorlie
    rorlie Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I think I get it now :) Guess I will try things out this week and see how it goes!