Sub 3:20 marathon runners

Options
billscreen
billscreen Posts: 13 Member
If anyone has ran a sub 3:20 marathon or below, could you please share a brief outline of your training plan and what types of foods you ate during training?

Replies

• Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    My three key workouts are a medium long, a long and a tempo run. I also do a set of strides with an easy run day.

Last go around I ran a 3:12 on 57 mpw average with a 65ish peak. This time I'm shooting for a sub 3 on 60-65 average and 70 peak.

Some other things I think are helping me:
    - did 4 weeks of hills at the beginning of the cycle
    - Targeting a half 6 weeks out from marathon to see where I am
    - Simulator run during one of my peak weeks
    - Good taper, fueling, and enough recovery and rest days!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I'm shooting for a sub-3:20 in April. Carrie is pretty much dead on. I'm doing 60-65mpw with a step back every third week to 45, a midweek long run, one day of speed, and a long run (not every week). Most of my food is local/organic, but I enjoy going out once a week or so. My long run pace is natural/easy, usually a minute slower than my goal MP, and I like to do fast finishes at goal MP.
  • Carrieendar
    Options
    Yes cut back weeks are important! Just did one and ended it with a 12 progression run that was fantastic. Lowering miles for just a week brings big results!
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I have used Pfitzinger & Douglas's 55-70mpw plan, and I eat whatever I like.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Doug, shouldn't that say 'most of my food is Panera/Chipotle'...?
  • vcphil
    vcphil Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I ran a 3:19 a few weeks ago during the goofy challenge (ran a half the day before)

Usually I run 60-75 miles a week. Eat around 2600 cals (60/20/20).. I try to eat high nutrition value foods for the most part.

Long runs between 12-20 miles every weekend around easy pace(sometimes fast finish around 7:10-6:50)

My workout days are usually 2x a week I do either tempo, speed, or long marathon pace work..

Basically there is a lot of running & a LOT of food involved :-D
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I ran 3:10 on 70 to 80+ mile weeks. As most of those posters here have stated, I did a mid week mid long run of 1 to 14 miles, a long run up to 22 miles with probably every 3rd or 4th long run being a fast finish long run at MP. The only two other workouts each week were strides once a week and some tempo type of workout at right around LT pace.

Food? Yeah, I ate it. Lots of if. :smile: I think that a huge factor for my performance in this race was that I was close to my ideal racing weight. I toed the line at about 125 pounds. 122 is ideal for me.
  • Carrieendar
    Options
    Once I got close to my racing weight using Fitzergeralds DQS, I've been able to just adjust intake based on where I am in training.

I've found some friends aiming for the same marathon time as me and that has been an incredible help.
  • billscreen
    billscreen Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yep, that's one of the main reasons I joined MFP - I would like to drop about 12 lbs and 5% body fat to hit my target race weight; I'm at the start of the process (only about 21 days into it). I was already rather lean (by American standards), being 6'2 / 183 lbs, however, this is the first time in my life that I've ever kept a food journal and attempted to stay within a caloric boundary. Prior to MFP I just ran lots of miles and ate whatever (excluding fast food, fried foods, and soda).

While that mentality has worked in the past I know that if I don't start training smarter I'll eventually hit a training plateau. So, I decided that starting in 2015 I'll focus more attention on improving my diet, and consistently cross / strength training.

My first week of running while using MFP was a bit rocky as I was used to in-taking more carbs (which, btw, made for some very frustrating runs), but over the last 2 weeks my body has adapted and now at 178 lbs (and slowly dropping), I feel mentally sharper, lighter on my feet, and more energetic. Additionally, my runs feel easier at the start; I don't have that 'OMG, I ate too much last night and am running heavy this morning' feeling anymore :smile:

Thanks everyone for all the advice, much appreciated.

btw - if you all don't mind, I'm going to send you a MFP friend request and if you'd like to add me as a connection on Garmin Connect my username is BillScreen (I just got a Garmin Forerunner 910XT last week - upgraded from Motorola MotoACTV).

• JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    litsy3 wrote: »
    Doug, shouldn't that say 'most of my food is Panera/Chipotle'...?
    Doug got a girlfriend LOL.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    Ran a 3:18 in my first marathon last year.
    Training would generally look something like this: 3/5/x/8/6/10-13/x
    It's not a formal routine. I just kind of adopted it and it seemed to work.

I ate a high protein diet since I was in the habit of that from lifting during the winter. That's not to say it was low-carb or anything of that nature, but the staples of the diet revolved around protein.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »

I ate a high protein diet since I was in the habit of that from lifting during the winter. That's not to say it was low-carb or anything of that nature, but the staples of the diet revolved around protein.

As a 25-year-old you could possibly have done this. For a 39-year-old it's almost certainly going to require a lot more miles and effort.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I used the Salazar "Lead from the Front" training plan from Nike+ last year for my first sub-3 marathon. I was adding ~6 miles per week over the plan running laps during my daughter's soccer practices. http://www.nike.com/runningfeatures/facebook/facebook_web/eventprogram/detail.html?locale=en_US&event=marathon
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    davemunger wrote: »

As a 25-year-old you could possibly have done this. For a 39-year-old it's almost certainly going to require a lot more miles and effort.

I'm still skeptical.

• yusaku02
    Options
    davemunger wrote: »

Aha, I hadn't looked at Bill's age. I would definitely agree.

CarsonRuns wrote: »
    I'm still skeptical.
    About the time or training? I can provide proof for the time. I know my training was unconventional but what reason do I have to lie about it?
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    I'm still skeptical.
    About the time or training? I can provide proof for the time. I know my training was unconventional but what reason do I have to lie about it?

Both, but why shouldn't I be skeptical when someone claims a 3:18 first marathon on ~30 miles per week. It's just very unlikely. Not impossible, just rare, especially for a first. If you had said you played competitive soccer for 8 years through HS and College and then ran the marathon on that little training, it would be easier to swallow. I guess without any context, It's just hard to fathom.

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I'm still skeptical.

Both, but why shouldn't I be skeptical when someone claims a 3:18 first marathon on ~30 miles per week. It's just very unlikely. Not impossible, just rare, especially for a first. If you had said you played competitive soccer for 8 years through HS and College and then ran the marathon on that little training, it would be easier to swallow. I guess without any context, It's just hard to fathom.

Carson, I believe in the "Marathon Panic" thread in the general forums (where both of you commented), he mentioned previously running track or cross country or someother athletic pursuit
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    I'm still skeptical.

Carson, I believe in the "Marathon Panic" thread in the general forums (where both of you commented), he mentioned previously running track or cross country or someother athletic pursuit

Ahh, thank you. I didn't recall that. Too many posts for this old mind to assimilate. :)
  • yusaku02
    Options
    I'm still skeptical.

Ahh, thank you. I didn't recall that. Too many posts for this old mind to assimilate. :)

Lishie is correct. I ran varsity cross country and track for 3 years in high school. I should have run in college but I sat on my rump and played video games instead. Regretting that decision but I've put it back together since then and I guess that's what matters. I'm not sure what to tell you about the low volume training, it's what felt right and seemed to work.

The marathon was a very individual event for me, I didn't ask for help or look up training programs from more experienced runners so I'm guessing that shaped my very warped view of how to prepare for one. The more I've read here, the more I realize just how strange my own experience was. Anyways, I'd like to retract my 'ludicrous' statement from the other thread. You're clearly much more qualified to give advice on marathon preparation.