Eating/drinking during running

Options
I am training for my first marathon. I have noticed in the past that my stomach cannot handle many foods or drinks while running. I get very nauseous if I eat even half a banana. So my question is what is the best thing to use to fuel your body during long runs? My longest run so far has been 10.5 miles and I did OK, but anything more than that I think I'll need something in my system. Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• vcphil
    vcphil Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I don't use food fuel anymore. My first 2-3 marathons I tried a lot of different "shots" "gus" "gels".. I hated it. Mainly because I never got the hang of chewing while running and it always left me thirsty!

Since I cut out the whole "fuel" thing... I've ran 4 marathons (all of which I qualifed for Boston) and all training leading up to it with nothing but water and powerade.

I ran an ultra (50k) with nothing but water & powerade.

Its not a "requirement" to use gu or bananas or whatever lol. Experiment around if you like.. You'll find something that works for you!
  • Annieminnesota
    Annieminnesota Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Ok, I know water and powerade isn't enough for me. I tried doing a long run while training for a half marathon a couple years ago and fainted. I had run 14 miles and I just think my body needed something else to keep going. I'll try and experiment with different stuff, thanks.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    What have you tried?
    I haven't had to fuel during runs but ive heard some gels can be wretched.
    Could try gummy bears Or similiar food
    Doug eats pretzels on the treadmill and hes crushing his races (imo anyway lol). Idk how he does that lol
  • MountainMaggie
    MountainMaggie Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Experiment. A smoothie might work for you pre-race, as you can buy one or taylor make one to your specific needs. I drank half a Naked Juice smoothie before my 15 mile trail race in the mountains because I have a hard time eating early in the morning and it was high in carbs and calories without feeling so much like food. It also counted toward hydration. I use 1-2 gels sometimes. (The fruit flavored ones are awful. I like salted caramel, and espresso love). DRINK WATER with the gels if you use them. If I have a couple of hours before my long run to digest, I'll eat a sandwich, then drink a V8 (low sodium, which still has enough sodium) not long before my run. I tend to drink another after. That stuff is amazing. I am trying to figure out a way to carry one with me during my long runs.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything when I run (except I did grab some fruit during the 1 marathon I ran). If I'm running 8 or fewer miles I won't bring water with me either. Maybe you could try fueling up a bit more prior to your run?

Also there seem to be a lot of Minnesotans in this group :)
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    This is certainly a very individual thing. I am not sure you are going to get great value out of hearing other people's fueling strategies; we are all different, although it might give you some ideas of things to try.

For whatever it's worth, here's what I settled on.

SIS Go Gels. One 60ml gel containing 22g carbs every half hour starting at the 60 minute mark.
    Nuun Active Hydration electrolye tabs. half a tab per aid station (every 30 mins) with water starting at the 90 minute mark.

A small cup of water at each aid station.

There was a lot of trial and error involved in the practice runs. Getting the electrolytes right for me took some time and whilst I had it nailed for a 20 mile training run, it didn't quite work out perfectly for the 26 miles on the day. I was flagging towards the end. Next time I'll take on more carbs and I will try some caffeine.

I experimented with solid foods, such as the much acclaimed Clif bars. Couldn't do it. Felt like I was chewing a block of wood. Jelly Babies worked pretty good.

I'd urge you to keep experimenting until you find what works for you.

• SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Ok, I know water and powerade isn't enough for me. I tried doing a long run while training for a half marathon a couple years ago and fainted. I had run 14 miles and I just think my body needed something else to keep going. I'll try and experiment with different stuff, thanks.

That's interesting. Despite what I posted above about marathon fueling, I don't tend to find I need anything for 16 miles or less. I subscribe to the theory that the body is carrying enough fuel for a couple of hours of running.

Were you fasted when this happened, or unwell?
  • congruns
    congruns Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I get hunger pains during long runs so I need something solid in my stomach. I put 2 half PB sandwiches in each pocket with 2 sleeves of bloks. I don't wear running shots so I have deep pockets. I figured a way to pack them to avoid too much swinging. I take half a sandwich every hour and bloks as scheduled. I also keep a box of raisins in my belt.

For halves, just a box of raisins.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I never eat anything before 13 miles or less and I'm weaning myself off eating before my long runs too. This last weekend I started my 17 mile run fasted. I had a gel at mile 9 and another at mile 13. I plan on cutting them out totally unless I'm doing a faster finish. Mostly I enjoy the higher caffeine gels.

In the past I was eating something before the longer long runs but I think that's counterproductive based on advice here and other sources online.
  • JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I don't race fasted, so I don't train fasted. It worked well in the past for me, so unless it starts being a problem I don't see why I would change thing. I rather have a great fueled workout than struggle through an aweful run unable to hit my paces.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I had a lot of trouble taking gels on the run so I switched to shot blocks and my stomach can handle them a lot better. I also skipped gatorade on my last marathon, just did the chews and water and it worked great for my stomach. Just try different products until you get something that works.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    For mid-week runs, which happen right before I eat lunch, I don't carry anything other than a smile (and my Garmin).

On Saturday I get my long run in. If I'm going first thing in the morning, I'll take a shot of pre-workout just to get the juices flowing.

If I'm going longer than 9 miles I'll carry a Gu and a bottle of water that I carry in a Camelbak Delany. I'll sip the water every couple miles and rarely drink half of it while I'm out (makes for a handy drink while post-run stretching).

Gu gets consumed in little bits once I hit somewhere around half way. I can't do the whole packet at once, I'll take about gumball size bite, hold it in my cheek then swallow. Usually takes me about 3-4 minutes to "eat" the whole packet. Follow that with a shot of water.

I have found that if I don't get some kind of water after the Gu, my stomach usually reminds me to drink some.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I remember the days when people handed out wedges of orange on race routes. I always found that pretty palatable. It isn't a lot of food, but it is a jolt of sugar. And it isn't as heavy as Gu and those yucky things.
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    In a race, I shoot for 60g of carbs per hour. It's a lot, so I practice in the last 8-9 weeks of marathon training. I will do every other long run with a gel flask. Its a small bottle that holds a few gels mixed with a little water so that I can sip them throughout the run. I am unable to take a full packet after the one I take at the start and the one 40 min in...after that I just sip the flask and take water or sports drink at the aid stops as needed.

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    tufel wrote: »
    I remember the days when people handed out wedges of orange on race routes. I always found that pretty palatable. It isn't a lot of food, but it is a jolt of sugar. And it isn't as heavy as Gu and those yucky things.

I love those oranges. Especially late in the race. A little slice of heaven. FWIW, people still hand them out, at least in the last two marathons I did.
  • Annieminnesota
    Annieminnesota Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Wow, Thanks for all the responses. I'm just going to have to test some stuff out.
  • alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately experimentation is really the only way to find out. After struggling with a lot of GI issues at the beginning of my training, I learned that too much fruit/sugar, dairy or fiber before a long run is a big no-no (I have to start being careful the night before). So, too, is consuming nothing but water on my long runs. Simple carbs (plain bagel) and/or vegan running snacks before the run work for me (I have been really happy with PocketFuel brand nut butters and energy shots) and I usually have some Gu during, although I finally ran out of my limited-time peppermint flavour, so I need to experiment again. (Booooo)

Learning to eat & drink while running took some practice. I race half marathons with no snacks, but planned to eat every ~5 miles during my marathon. Now that my first marathon is out of the way I'm practicing more fasted runs, but I'll still eat during my races and the longest training runs.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    What have you tried?
    Doug eats pretzels on the treadmill and hes crushing his races (imo anyway lol). Idk how he does that lol

Boredom, stupidity. I eat nothing on the long runs :)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    You just gotta be careful about overdoing the carbs. If you spike your blood sugar, your body will burn glucose rather than fat (easier), and it won't go back to the fat, which is more of a long term fuel.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    What have you tried?

Boredom, stupidity. I eat nothing on the long runs :)

Hey nice of you to grace us with your presence! =P