How much can you eat in a meal?

Options

Replies

• 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I'm a month out and I have no problem eating 4oz but even a bite more and I'm horribly uncomfortable. I'm also 5'10" and I wondered if height might make a difference. I also have no problems drinking 24oz of water in about 30min and have never felt the restriction when it comes to liquids, other than thick frothy protein shakes. I've wondered how normal that was too.
    Good question!

I wasn't even drinking this much before surgery let alone now!
    I'm doing good if I can get a (small) portion of your 24oz in that amount of time :disappointed:

• 2BeHappy2
    Options
    If you ask, youre going to get opinions...good, bad or indifferent.
    I ate Mexican food Fri night and after eating some meat, I had a couple bites of rice and that was enough for me (4 months out).
    In the past I could've eaten mine and then some but a couple bites was just as satisfying as the whole thing used to be!
  • swetienancy04
    swetienancy04 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I think for being 3 months out that is pretty normal. I can usually eat around 3-4 oz at time depending on what it is. If it is really dense protein like chicken it's around 2oz.
  • 2BeHappy2
    Options
    Yeah, that's me too.
    It just depends on the protein source!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I am 3.5 years out and I always take home 1/2 my omlette. I rarely get toast or really an english muffin and if I do, I can only eat 1/2 of that and then less than 1/2 the onlette. At your point I would be lucky to eat 1/4 of the omlette. :)
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 18 months out and I can eat between 8 and 10 oz depending on the food.
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. When I had my very first appointment the NUT showed me some food in a 1-cup measuring cup and said this is what I would be eating after surgery. I have my 3-mo appt in 2 days and in advance they sent out a "sample menu" of meals showing a total of 6-8 oz per meal. So, I thought I was supposed to be near the 8 oz mark by now. I was starting to freak out because as you all have noted, I may be able to eat 4-6 oz of cottage cheese in a sitting since it is light, but if it is a solid piece of meat I can barely do 2-3 oz, and then it may be impossible to get in any veggie. I am no where near the 6-8 oz then. I thought either something was wrong or maybe I am supposed to start pushing myself to eat more--and I really didn't want to do that. I'm 5'6" so normal height and I assume normal size stomach-- or whatever is left of it anyway.
  • Maria212302
    Maria212302 Posts: 4 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    My doctor told me it is a gift to not be able to eat too much. Because eventually you will be able to eat more. I would try to take care of my sleeve so you can keep the restriction for as long as possible. Now is the time to loose. :smile:
  • nkac1980
    nkac1980 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    rscpjim wrote: »
    Yep I am a month out too now... YEAH!!!!! Oh and I can only eat about 4 oz at any sitting... I am actually thankful for that.. I shared a small Pizza the other day. Could only eat 1 yep thats right ONE PIECE...lol I laughed with my date and said you know before this surgery I could have eaten a large all by myself with no problem at all.. I am really digging my sleeve.... Whew may have saved my own life here..

So I will add a question.. Any one you still eating Sushi and if so how many pieces can you intake... I know my surgeon would frown on it but I figure a couple of pieces wont kill me...

• nkac1980
    nkac1980 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I found sushi to be my saving grace for a protein source. I have not tried it with rice on the roll, my sushi joint has an "oh Baby" roll, crab, avocado and a slice of tuna wrapped around it instead of the rice. Kinda of amazing.
  • rscpjim
    rscpjim Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Nkac1980, Hey thanks for the idea. I may ask if my little sushi place can do that as well. I would rather avoid the rice at all cost. But didnt want to not share the experience of the sushi place.. Right this minute I could live without it. But my friend got me hooked on it when I was balking at the idea of sushi...lol Now well .... to be continued....lol
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Just jumping in.... I can't do rice. AT ALL. Makes my tummy very unhappy. No biggie, though-- I have never been a rice fan anyway. I LOVE sashimi, though (sushi without the rice!).
  • dsjsmom23
    dsjsmom23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    re Rice: I can eat about 1 TBSP. If we are having rice with a meal, I measure 1 TBSP onto my plate. I eat it fine. I'm not a huge rice fan though, so I've never really tried to eat more.
    Funny thing, now that i'm 8 months post op (almost) I've actually craved rice. I HATED it before!
    I've begged hubby to take me for sushi over the past month or so LOL
    I like teriyaki beef don over rice. I usually eat a few bites, and then i'm done. I pack up 2 more meals to go, then I let hubby finish what he wants.

re how much I can eat in a sitting:
    Last night I had a lean cuisine (meatloaf & mashed potatos) and I ate the whole thing. It took me about 90 minutes though. I ate half in about 30 minutes, then I waited, and finished the rest about an hour later.
    I was full. But I knew i'd be hungry later, so I guess you could call the second half, my snack LOL
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I still prefer Shashimi (without the rice) and I weight the portions like any other food. No 18 months out I can, and do, enjoy a bit of rice but would not want to waste my precious capacity on too much rice.

Related topic; I had some Steak Tartare last weekend. Sushi lovers might love this as well.

***New patients should refrain from raw fish and meats until they are completely healed.****
  • krouse83
    krouse83 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    For the longest time I could only eat one scrambled egg. Now I can eat one egg and a piece or two of bacon. I am also 6 months out. Its actually kinda scary how I can eat more and how I find myself actually getting hungry at times. Its making me really watch what I eat and portion control i.e. making sure its only about a 1/2 cup and no more than 2/3 cup of food at a time. And I still haven't had any bread, rice, or pasta since the surgery.
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I have found that I can eat more than I expected to ever be able to after surgery. It also depends on what it is --- unfortunately, I seem to be able to eat way too many crackers and things like that but I am more limited with proteins like chicken or fish. I can definitely see why it is recommended to eat protein first. That fills you up so there is no room for the "junk".
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    4-5oz. I have to stay vigilant to only eat a handful of food slowly and stop immediately after I feel the fullness which is HONESTLY about the 6-8th BITE!! But then I have usually hit about 300 cals by then anyway. So I put away the food and watch a real estate show on my iPhone. I have to remind myself that the only difference between normal me and obese me is an extra 500 cals a day x 2 yrs.
  • rscpjim
    rscpjim Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    So for the record! I tried the sushi with out the rice and yep I am a happy camper. Went to the local Smiths store and the guy was just putting out some fresh stuff and I asked him about no rice sushi. He smiled and said sure here you go these have no rice... Sure enough. Took them back to my hotel room and yep! I am in heaven...lol Happy Tummy happy tastebuds!
  • emmerin78
    emmerin78 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I'm about 18 months out, and have no problem eating sushi (usually about 4 to 5 pieces of a decently sized roll). However, I find that whole grain (mix of brown, red, and black) sushi rice sits/digests better than white sushi rice. When/if you are ready to try it, ask your sushi place if they offer something either veggie wrapped or whole grain - it can help you get closer to your protein and fiber macros for the day.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Instant mashed potatoes in any amount will make me think my stomach is going to explode. Rice not so much.

Just a side note... One of the main reasons people get overweight in the first place is relying on their stomach to tell them when they are "full". Your stomach is a TERRIBLE indicator of "fullness". One of the main reasons people "fail" at the sleeve (i.e. gain all their weight back) is the same - relying on your restriction feeling to tell you when you are full. It didnt work before, it wont work now. By the time you feel "full" you have already eaten too much and your stomach is stretching to accomodate it.
    -
    - Do not rely on restriction! Decide the volume you think you should eat, eat it and stop. If you feel overly full, lower the amount next time. If you think you are still hungry, add to it next time. The idea is to be satisfied without your stomach actually hurting or being uncomfortable. The sleeve lets you stop in a way you probably could not before. From now on, use your brain not your stomach to decide how much volume to eat. It drives me crazy to see posts where someone says they are surprised they could eat a whole 6 inch sub and their stomach did not stop them - if you didnt think you could eat the whole thing, or should eat the whole thing, WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU TRY?! You dont say you have a 6oz stomach, shove 7 oz in there and then be surprised! You eat 6 oz and QUIT. Decide for your next meal if the volume was appropriate.
    -
    - You should really NEVER feel the restriction - that is the goal anyway. Of course everyone pushes it and finds out at some point, but you should be able to make a rational decision on food volume so that you satistfy your hunger and nutritional needs, but never really notice that your stomach is "full" to the point of discomfort. Over time your volume CAN and SHOULD increase, but it should be a conscious decision because you know you need more calories, or you are starting to be hungry more often, etc.