Bulletproof Rapid Fat Loss Protocol

Options
Jdkbs
Jdkbs Posts: 98 Member
https://www.bulletproofexec.com/rapid-fat-loss-protocol

Has anyone tried this or have any comment/advice with regards to trying something like this?

Appreciate all feedback...

Replies

• DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I love my coffee, but I like to eat too much to do something like that....
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    There's not a thing on that website you can't do on your own with a lot more control over price and the ingredients. Adding fats to your coffee in the morning keeps you from getting hungry longer, but you need to replace another part of breakfast with it.

There's also not a thing on that website that makes you lose fat faster or easier or anything else. The only thing that will lose weight is your bank account.
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I stopped at the carb re feed sentence. I've yo-yo'd enough, not going to mess up my Keto WOE with a re feed.
  • middleagedmeh
    middleagedmeh Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Jdkbs wrote: »

Has anyone tried this or have any comment/advice with regards to trying something like this?

Jdkbs wrote: »

with all due respect, The bulletproof executive (TM) is really just doing the same thing that guys like John kiefer and others have preached for a long time. It is not a ketogenic diet.
    It is a smart variation that does work and optimises many hormonal cycles to get the right results. You do not need to buy any special X X X product to do this. You eat super low carb and low protein for 6 days then for a few hours take in some high GI carbs as the refeed to get your insulin super high.

It is better than eating lots of carbs all day but from experience
    1-after the refeed you feel like crap for about a day
    2-if you have control issues ... The allowing yourself to binge can go very wrong
    3-you can say goodbye to keto adaptation and the cool things that happen then since there is not enough time.

TLDR
    It works and it is cool. No you don't have to do it his way. keto is cooler.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    DAM5412 wrote: »
    I stopped at the carb re feed sentence. I've yo-yo'd enough, not going to mess up my Keto WOE with a re feed.

He explains the reason for the re-feed. You're basically doing a prolonged fat fast. The re-feed is necessary to keep leptin stable (theoretically, at least), so your body doesn't freak out. It keeps the weight loss going, basically.

But yeah, not my cup of tea, though I'm half tempted to try it, just to prove a point about what it takes for me to lose weight (assuming, of course, that I'm actually successful even with that) to about half a dozen doctors I know... :confused:
  • Jdkbs
    Options
    Thanks, for the sound advice guys... I agree after the carb refeed I think I would just be tempted to continue to binge on carbage.

Words like Rapid Fat Loss always lure me in.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    There's not a thing on that website you can't do on your own with a lot more control over price and the ingredients. Adding fats to your coffee in the morning keeps you from getting hungry longer, but you need to replace another part of breakfast with it.

There's also not a thing on that website that makes you lose fat faster or easier or anything else. The only thing that will lose weight is your bank account.

(*) I put coconut oil and then use an aerator for my coffee, but I don't buy expensive coffee :)
    You could try the 3-day fat fast route to kickstart yourself. Google it, here's one link: http://www.carbsmart.com/fatfast.html
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Although Dave Asprey is undoubtedly a smart man and has valuable insights on many topics... BPC breaks the fast. So if you want the effects of a long daily fast, don't BPC. If you feel you need the BPC to tide you over in energy, it's a free world... :)

Just because you add fat to the tea or coffee instead of having a real meal, it's still a caloric intake that the body will metabolize accordingly.

Atm, BPC interferes with MY weight loss. It might work for other people.

Edit: For all it's worth. I sometimes find interesting info nuggets in his podcasts. I only wish he wouldn't be such a product pusher. It would lend more credit to some of the other stuff he's doing.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    He explains the reason for the re-feed. You're basically doing a prolonged fat fast. The re-feed is necessary to keep leptin stable (theoretically, at least), so your body doesn't freak out. It keeps the weight loss going, basically.

It should be simple to test that in a lab, effect of carb refeed on leptin levels and metabolic rate. Not been done though, for some reason ??

• totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Foamroller wrote: »
    Although Dave Asprey is undoubtedly a smart man and has valuable insights on many topics... BPC breaks the fast. So if you want the effects of a long daily fast, don't BPC. If you feel you need the BPC to tide you over in energy, it's a free world... :)

Just because you add fat to the tea or coffee instead of having a real meal, it's still a caloric intake that the body will metabolize accordingly.

Edit: For all it's worth. I sometimes find interesting info nuggets in his podcasts. I only wish he wouldn't be such a product pusher. It would lend more credit to some of the other stuff he's doing.

I agree with Foamroller - I find best results with not breaking my fast until mid-day: the 16 hr fast followed by an 8 hr eating period (I don't eat solidly for 8 hours - just have lunch at 12 ish and dinner at 7 ish and then stop eating! I do of course drink fluids like herbal tea and water whenever I want). I am finding that this prompts my body to look for energy in my fat stores. But I'm no expert and have only been doing this WOE for 45 days or so and what works for one might not work for another.
    -
    - Plus I don't like coffee so not tempted to have BPC at any time!
    -
    - I would also worry that having a carb binge would put me out of ketosis and make me crave carbs. Might try it if I stall though....
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

It should be simple to test that in a lab, effect of carb refeed on leptin levels and metabolic rate. Not been done though, for some reason ??

There are times when I regret the fact that the last time I was in a biology class John Kennedy was President. It gets harder to keep up all the time.

I did find this
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8826983
    which is very indirect, done at the cellular level.

• Jdkbs
    Options
    camtosh wrote: »
    JPW1990 wrote: »

(*) I put coconut oil and then use an aerator for my coffee, but I don't buy expensive coffee :)
    You could try the 3-day fat fast route to kickstart yourself. Google it, here's one link: http://www.carbsmart.com/fatfast.html

• Jdkbs
    Options
    Great discussion guys.
    Camtosh thanks for the fatfast link. The recipes actually look yummy.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

Money, most likely. Funding large scale studies is hard. Though it's possible Dave has done it on himself and I'm just unaware of it. From my understanding, the guy's pretty well off and has found a few medical professionals to help him get such numbers.

I guess that depends on how one considers a "fast" (after all, there's the protein-sparing modified fast, fat fast, egg fast, juice fast, water fast....). If you're just talking about caloric intake, then yeah, it breaks the fast (and anything short of a water fast isn't actually fasting).

If you go by what increases insulin levels or changes the other markers of being fasted (apparently, there are diagnostic markers that can be tested for that indicate a fasted state), then the original BPC -- coffee, MCT oil, and unsalted butter -- does not (necessarily) break the fast, as there's evidence that coffee and pure fat sources don't break the fasted state. Additionally, there's evidence that coffee improves the processes activated during fasting, and MCTs are jet fuel for the body (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fasting-questions-answers/ -- about 2/3 of the way through the post is the thing about coffee and pure fat sources).