Cooking Vegetables

Options
kilosierra83
kilosierra83 Posts: 228 Member
So, I really like to cook and I really like vegetables. The problem is I have very little experience cooking vegetables other than onions and squash, usually just all sautéed in a skillet with butter and such. I like raw vegetables and like to make a cole slaw or salad, or I will throw some frozen broccoli in the microwave.

Looking for suggestions on cooking different things in easy ways. I have a sprouts nearby and see all sorts of things I could try but don't really know where to start. Thanks!

Replies

• carolssalva
    carolssalva Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried to make a spaghetti squash Kevin? It is the easiest thing in the world!

You cut it in half lengthwise and skip all the seeds out ..the way you would a cantaloupe.

Then you just bake it for 30/45 minutes facedown on a pan. When it's soft you scrape out the squash and it comes apart like spaghetti. Easy peasy!

Here are directions I found online that are a little more professional:

How To Cook Spaghetti Squash in the Oven:
    What You Need:
    Ingredients:
    1 medium spaghetti squash (2 to 3 pounds)

Equipment:
    Sharp chef's knife
    Cutting board
    Soup spoon
    Medium-size roasting pan or baking dish
    Fork

Instructions:
    Preheat the oven to 400°F: Preheat the oven while you prep the squash.

Slice the squash in half: Use a chef's knife to cut the spaghetti squash lengthwise from stem to tail. Spaghetti squash are really tough and hard, so be cautious and work slowly. You can cradle the squash in a balled-up dish cloth to keep it steady as you cut.

Scoop out the seeds: Use a soup spoon to scrape out the seeds and stringy bits of flesh from inside the squash. Be careful of actually digging into the flesh though — we want that! The inside should look clean and fairly smooth.
    Discard the seeds (or save them and roast them for a snack!).

Place the squash in a roasting pan: Place the squash halves cut-side down in a roasting pan.

Pour in a little water (optional): Pour a little water in the pan, enough to cover the bottom. Your squash will roast just fine without it, but I find that the water helps the squash steam and become more tender. You can also cover the pan with aluminum foil, if you prefer.

Cook the squash for 30 to 45 minutes: Transfer the squash to the oven and cook for 30 to 45 minutes. Smaller squash will cook more quickly than larger squash. Check the squash after 30 minutes to gauge cooking.
    The squash is done when tender: The squash is ready when you can easily pierce a fork through the flesh all the way to the peel. The flesh will also separate easily into spaghetti-like strands. You can also taste it right now — if the noodles are still a bit crunchy for your taste, put the squash back in the oven for another 15 to 20 minutes.

Scrape out the squash: Use a fork to gently pull the squash flesh from the peel and to separate the flesh into strands. The strands wrap around the squash horizontally — rake your fork in the same direction as the strands to make the longest "noodles."

Serve the squash: Serve the squash immediately, tossed with a little butter or olive oil. Spaghetti squash will also keep refrigerated for up to a week, or frozen for up to 3 months.

Additional Notes:
    Roasting the Squash Whole: Instead of cutting the squash in half, you can also roast it whole. Roast until a fork can easily pierce through the outer peel and all the way to the interior of the squash, about an hour. Slice in half and carefully remove the seeds and stringy flesh, then scrape the flesh as directed above.
  • carolssalva
    carolssalva Posts: 546 Member
    Options
  • beerbikegirl
    beerbikegirl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I made this roasted cauliflower over the weekend. I love both lemon and cumin. And this is all about those two flavors.

http://gourmetfood.about.com/od/gourmetsalads/r/Spicy-Whole-Roasted-Cauliflower-with-Parmesan.htm
  • TJ_Gauthier
    TJ_Gauthier Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Carol, by spag squash always gets mushy.

Kevin, I really like to steam butternut and acorn squash. Those taste pretty dang good. I'll just steam them with some salt, pepper, and chop a few onions.

You could also try roasting some veggies. I've done green beans and asparagus, but I bet you could do a lot. You just coat them in olive oil, and bake at 425 until they get crispy, or however you prefer to eat them. It all depends on the type of veggie. I've even seen people roast carrots. I also like roasted kale. You do it exactly like I said with the other veggies. I will throw some minced garlic in there. And, if you do potatoes, cube some red potatoes and roast them with it, and that's an awesome side. Maybe try acorn squash, if you don't do potatoes.
  • beerbikegirl
    Options
    Oh, speaking of both butternut squash and kale, this is yummy...

foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/butternut-squash-and-kale-stir-fry.html

• jenniferyounginillinois
    Options
    Kevin, roasting veggies is a good option. Asparagus, carrots, brussel sprouts (apparently those are very good but I have never tried one yet). Spread out on a baking sheet with foil, sprinkle some olive oil, kosher salt, pepper and any spices you like (thyme, oregano, cayenne, etc). Bake until your perferred doneness.
    I tend to just saute or stir fry veggies if I cook them. I will be doing more things though, now that I have to do this whole healthy eating thing. :)
  • heronh
    heronh Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Roasting brings out the flavor of veggies. Yum!
    For salads I like jicama and mango salad. Slice in thin strips or small cubes if you like, put some lime or lemon juice, a pinch of salt and cayenne (if you like a little sauciness)
    Celery root or celeriac and green apple salad. For this I like it to eat them just plain, undressed. But you can add oil and/or acid to it. You can cut them in thin strips or some cubes
    Green papaya salad. Thin strip is green papaya. Toss it with fish sauce, chili, fried shallots and lime or lemon juice.
    Or do a winter root vegetable mash instead of a regular mash potato. Use rutabaga, squash, potatoes.
    Or try Asian veggies, instead of sautéed spinach, use baby Bok Choy.
    I almost forgot about one of my favs. Chayote! They taste good raw and cooked. I always smile when I buy them because they look funny to me.
    Most importantly, have fun, go to a farmer's market and ask the vendors.
  • John_10e
    John_10e Posts: 1
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm trying to keep it simple and easy. Just started baking mixed vegetables, lightly salted and oiled, heavily peppered, bit of shredded cheese and cottage cheese. If it's easy and tasty I've got no problem filling my belly on vegetables. That has to be better than the pizza or BK run. (no i don't need cheese just experimenting)
  • tindercd
    tindercd Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Butternut Squash Bison Chili. I used ground elk and turkey instead of Bison. I also added 15oz of pinto and 15oz of red beans. It's delicious and full of veggies.

I also make brussel sprouts on the regular. I take fresh brussel sprouts, wash them, halve or quarter them (they cook better and taste better this way), coat them in olive oil (1-3 tbs), add sea salt and fresh ground pepper, add whatever else you want...I usually put in crushed red pepper flakes, bake at 400 for 45 minutes, stir them and then watch em for another 10-15 to make sure they are brown but not black. I prefer them crispier... They are my favorite thing to make. They go great with anything.
  • TJ_Gauthier
    TJ_Gauthier Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Chris, I've heard that the reason you should split Brussels sprouts, is because they release some kind of gas when cooked, and it gets trapped in between the leaves, if left whole. Thanks for the tip. I'll have to try them.
  • kilosierra83
    kilosierra83 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I did spaghetti squash with shrimp scampi the other day. Oh my.
    Options
    I have never had brussel sprouts (one of those things I've always been scared of). Trying them this week though. Chris, planning on doing exactly what you do with them. This will satisfy new thing #2 for February. :smile:
  • imabizzybee
    imabizzybee Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I like the roasted brussels sprouts, too. Or cook some bacon in a pan, stir fry onion and the sprouts in the same pan, and then add the crumbled bacon. YUM! My non-vegetable-eating son-in-law-to be (that's a lot of hyphens!) gobbled them up.
  • imabizzybee
    imabizzybee Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Whoa, look at the recipe I just found. Looks amazing! I never thought of pork rinds for the crispy crumbs for anything. From a Spark Recipe chat thread:

Steam, mash the cauliflower. Mix 1/2 cup lowfat sour cream with Johnny's Garlic Dip seasoning (got at Costco) to taste. Then take a bag of Spicy Pork Rinds and crush with rolling pin. Mix mashed cauliflower with cream seasoning. Form into little balls and roll in Pork Rind Crumbs and place on parchment paper on cookie sheet. Broil and rotate until browning is even. Challenge anyone that "don't like cooked cauliflower" to not like this.
  • tindercd
    tindercd Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    TJ I didn't know that! They usually don't cook all the way through for me when they are whole anyways. I don't like them boiled or steamed either...only baked, roasted, or sauteed. I bet they would be good on the grill too...

Jennifer tell me what you think! I try to make them once a week (which stretches for a few meals at least).

I might try to cook em with bacon and onions next time! Thanks for the tip!

Also like to marinate vegetables in balsamic vinegar, then cook em on the grill. Good with red onions, asparagus, zucchini, squash, peppers. You could make kabobs or something like that.
  • GoodDaytoYou
    GoodDaytoYou Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Great ideas! I use a large grill pan most often. Try zucchini, yellow squash, red pepper and red onion drizzled with olive oil. About 3-4 mins on each side then add garlic, pepper and a little lemon at the end. Sprinkle them with feta cheese.
    Options
    tindercd wrote: »
    TJ I didn't know that! They usually don't cook all the way through for me when they are whole anyways. I don't like them boiled or steamed either...only baked, roasted, or sauteed. I bet they would be good on the grill too...

Jennifer tell me what you think! I try to make them once a week (which stretches for a few meals at least).

I might try to cook em with bacon and onions next time! Thanks for the tip!

Also like to marinate vegetables in balsamic vinegar, then cook em on the grill. Good with red onions, asparagus, zucchini, squash, peppers. You could make kabobs or something like that.

Chris, I don't think I mentioned this but yes I did try the roasted brussel sprouts and they were yummy. Just drizzled them with some olive oil and salt and pepper. I should have made more since they definitely shrink up when roasted. Looks like I have a new veggie to add. I will say the smell for a few minutes was a bit iffy. Guess I'll just have to get used to it.
  • kris3b
    kris3b Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I just so happened to have eaten brussel sprouts last night. We tried something different recently and have to share. We added some blue cheese to roasting asparagus and OH MY GOODNESS, was it ever the best! We didn't use much, but could have used less since it kicks out it's own oil and we had already drizzled olive oil on it. Last night we tried it on halved brussel sprouts and even better. Best part is we bought the block of blue cheese for $1.:50. I know it is fatty, but it doesn't take much. It leaves this lovely juice behind. Ahhhhh:)
  • beerbikegirl
    Options
    Kris, I love all three Brussels, asparagus and blue cheese, but have never tried them together. Will do it

I hadn't done my new food this week in the FB weight loss challenge until tonight. Brought home a head of romanesco. Cut it into all the little pine tree looking pieces, tossed them in melted ghee, garlic salt, lemon pepper (actually Penzys spices Florida seasoned pepper - which has orange and lemon peel. I'm in love with it...try on salmon too) and roasted at 400 for about 15 minutes. Yummy
  • kris3b
    kris3b Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Yum! Sounds delicious Kim. I never had romanesco and had to look it up. Neat looking veggie. The boyfriend and I went through a phase when we started eating clean. We would try something new every time we shopped. I thought we made it through all the fruits and veggies. We need to check out the specialty store and see if we can find romanesco. Most of the new things we came across were fruits. Discovered yummy ones and a few really nasty fruits. haha