Chicken Help Please

Hi, I haven't posted here before, but I am just starting to cook my own foods. I used to buy microwave meals and just shove them in my lunch bag, but I'm trying to be healthier, so I'm slowly branching out into the realm of home-cooked meals.

Right now I'm focusing on meat-veggie type meals. I typically try to make 5-10 meals at a time, and freeze them in portion-sized tupperwares so I can take them to work with me. I try to get a variety of veggies, and try to use a different kind of meat every week.

What I've noticed lately is that a lot of chicken seems to be very high in sodium. At my store, chicken breasts generally range from 220mg to 500mg of sodium per portion size, and since I'm trying to up my protein intake, I'll have 1-2 chicken breasts in my meals. That is a LOT of sodium. Ground beef and ground turkey don't have nearly as much sodium in them!

So how do I find chicken without a ton of sodium in it? Are there any specific brands that are better than others? Is fresh/frozen chicken considered better for this? Do I need to find an organic market instead of my usual local grocery store?

Thanks!

Replies

• jennk5309
    jennk5309 Posts: 206 Member
    Food for thought.....most women need more sodium than they think, unless they have high blood pressure. The rules for women on sodium are not the same as for men because of our different hormones. Read up on it before you decide you need to cut back. This is coming from a woman with blood pressure that is too low though, and my doctors are always telling me to eat more salt.
  • nickollette113
    nickollette113 Posts: 16 Member
    Keep an eye on numbers, but don't obsess over them. Sodium is an important one to watch out for, but compared to other sources you could get just as much sodium, the other benefits of chicken being a lean meat balance it out. Just my opinion.

Here's what dinner is. It's a chicken casserole/bake.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/view/128934523858557
  • The organic ones in my grocery store say they only have 7pm, so maybe try the organic ones.
  • Oops, sorry that should have said 75mg. Stupid auto correct!
  • Autumnfilly2005
    Autumnfilly2005 Posts: 232 Member
    I've never heard about women needed more sodium than men, so that's interesting. I'm not overly concerned about the sodium since my blood pressure is always dead normal despite being 50lbs+ overweight, but my dad had a stroke last year and is on a low sodium diet, and that has caused me to take a closer look at my own sodium. MFP recommends 2300 a day for me, and I found out that I exceed that by 1,000 most days, so I'm trying to cut back a bit.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Also check your milk,cheese etc for sodium levels.As other posters say,don't go too low. Might ask Dr's advice as to how much sodium is needed. Many dieters try to change everything all at once,get overwhelmed, then give up. Slower works better for the long haul. Keep a notebook for diet/ health info as it refers to you. Maybe make one change,then another when you have 1 st change down pat.
  • Grinage1027
    Grinage1027 Posts: 31 Member
    If you have Schwans service in your area they have very good meat! I get the majority of my meat from them I har compared to my local grocery to Schwans and they always win with the healthiness factor!
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    If you are buying fresh chicken, without a "solution" added, there shouldn't be much if any sodium. If you are buying frozen, they usually add to that. I buy this one: harvestlandbrand.com/products/details/?id=54616&title=Frozen%20Boneless%20Skinless%20Chicken%20Breasts,%20Individually%20Wrapped%20(3%20lbs.)
  • SunflowerCat74
    SunflowerCat74 Posts: 258 Member
    I second that you need to look for chicken with out "solution" which is always loaded with salt. Look for "all natural" or something along those lines, but never chicken that has broth or solution. Natural chicken should have less than 60mg per serving. (Tyson All Natural Chicken Breasts have 40mg per serving). I have HBP so I check everything and make it a rule to go with the least processed stuff possible. It is more expensive but I wait for sales and then stock up.