Exercise challenge for week Feb 8-14

Options
FindingCindy721
FindingCindy721 Posts: 834 Member
edited February 2015 in Social Groups
Here we go...the challenge is to complete these work outs between 3-5 times this week. Post daily as you do them or at the end of the week, whichever works best for you! Let us know which ones you did and how many! Let's go and Have fun!!!!

1. The Plank
The plank pose is a personal trainer favorite because it is simple enough to perform anywhere, and it works your body’s entire core. It also can help to elongate the spine, strengthen the arms and wrists, and increase balance. To Perform a Modified Plank: Begin by facing the floor on your hands and knees. Inhale and draw the body up and walk the hands forward until you are on your toes, and your hands are beneath your shoulders. Tighten your stomach muscles and try to maintain a straight line from your shoulders all the way to your heels. Exhale and breathe slowly with the neck relaxed and the eyes looking toward the floor. Hold the pose for 15 seconds, and then release. Repeat 5x.
Modified

26bemv35w0gd.jpg

full plank
rbcog0x4ddzr.jpg

2.. The Superman Pose
The Superman Pose targets the three main muscles that run along the spine and helps to prevent injuries, improve posture, and eliminate back and neck pain. To Perform the Superman Pose: Begin by lying down on a comfortable flat surface, like a yoga mat. Extend your arms over your head, with your elbows shoulder-width apart. Slowly and simultaneously, inhale while you lift your arms and your legs slightly off of the floor, putting your weight on your abdomen. Hold for a count of 5, and then exhale as you release back to the floor. Repeat the exercise 5x.

6lfo6q4im859.jpg

3. Side-Lying Leg Lifts
Side-lying leg lifts are easy for anyone to perform and target the hips and outer thighs. To Perform Side-Lying Leg Lifts: Lie on your side with your legs stacked and your head resting on your arm. Tighten the top leg and lift it directly up into the air. Be careful to keep your hips perpendicular to the floor and the body in a straight line. Hold the leg in the air for 1 count, lower it until it touches your bottom leg, and then lift it again. Repeat 10-15 times on each side.

uncv7qjxzrfn.jpg

4. Assisted Squats
This beginner move is a modified version of traditional squats and targets the muscles of the lower body, including the thighs, hips, and butt. It is also effective at building core strength and strengthening the bones, ligaments, and tendons of the lower body. To Perform an Assisted Squat: Stand tall with the feet shoulder-width apart in front of a chair. Place your arms out in front of you for balance. Push into your heels as you inhale and slowly bend your legs, keeping your chest open and your head held high. Lower your body and stop just before your butt hits the chair. Exhale as you push into your heels and returning to a standing position. Repeat 10-15 times.

tl61xsli4cxs.jpg

5. Modified Pushups
Like traditional pushups, modified pushups target the arms, chest, shoulders, and core. To Perform a Modified Pushup: Stand in front of a wall, chair, or piece of sturdy furniture with your arms shoulder-width apart. With your palms flat against the wall, walk your feet out until your body is at a slant. Exhale, bend your elbows, and lean into the wall. Inhale and push your body back to starting position. Be careful to maintain a straight line from your neck to your heels. Repeat 10-15 times.

c7iyy3sy9rul.jpg

6.Pelvic tilts
Lie on your back and bend your knees so that your feet are flat on the floor. Slide your arms out to your sides at 45-degree angles, palms facing up. Tighten your core, then squeeze your glutes to lift your hips an inch off the floor. This is the starting position. Raise your hips toward the ceiling until your body forms a straight line from shoulders to knees. Pause, then lower to the starting position. That's one rep. Do 10-15.

ahr0izkyyub6.jpg

Replies

• barlovo
    barlovo Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Cindy this is great! I'm going to focus on the plank.
  • mysticlizard
    mysticlizard Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I started today since I do the dumbbells Sun., Tue., and Thurs. The planks (5), supermans (5), and wall pushups (15) were a challenge but I made it through. I am doing the squat challenge so I did the reps (40) needed for that. I need to increase the reps of the pelvic tilts (20) and add weights to the side lying leg lifts (25). This is awesome motivation to get more exercise in and work more on building my strength back up :)
  • Femmigirlz
    Femmigirlz Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Wow you ladies are working it! I can't get on the ground or I'd never get back up. Chair exercises for me.
  • aaliceinw
    aaliceinw Posts: 747 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I walk/ran 8.2 kms today with the Park run and walking to and from it.
    In all I walked/ran just over 13000 steps and burned almost 1000 calories. So I will begin the challenge tomorrow ☺️
  • MdwstQT
    MdwstQT Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    My goals are as follows for this week:

Zumba 20 mins, 3 days

Plank 10 sec, 3 reps
    Superman 5 sec, 3 reps
    Leg Lifts 10ea, 3 reps outter , 10ea, 3 reps inner
    Squats 10ea, 3 reps
    Push-ups 3ea, 3 reps On the floor, off the knees, correct form :#

Right now I plan on combining Zumba and the floor exercises.
  • FindingCindy721
    Options
    MdwstQT~ YOU GO GIRL!!!

completed today
    plank....10 sec x 3
    superman...x 10
    leg lifts...10 each leg
    squats...x15
    push up...on counter top x15
  • Noodle797
    Noodle797 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Karen, I have to skip these for now too, I have major back issues, but I've been doing some exercises in the pool that work my abs & back muscles that are much easier for me to do because there isn't as much pressure on my back & joints.
  • Femmigirlz
    Options
    Noodle; I can't wait for summer. We have a swimming pool and I love to swim so I will be burning a lot of calories then. Swimming is much easier for me too and I was in water aerobics last summer but had to quit because I need a total knee replacement and I couldn't keep up with the class. Also the water was too cold, yes they heated it but not enough for someone with Fibromyalgia and Arthralgia.
  • mysticlizard
    Options
    Today planks (5), supermans (5), and wall pushups (15) squat challenge (30) pelvic tilts (25) and side lying leg lifts (25).
  • aaliceinw
    Options
    Plank: 2 x 30 seconds
    Superman : 2 x 30 seconds
    Side Leg Lifts: 2 x 15 on each leg
    Squats 2 x 15
    Wall push ups 2 x 15
    Pelvic Tilts 2 x 15
  • mysticlizard
    Options
    Today planks (6), supermans (10), and wall pushups (15) squat challenge (40) pelvic tilts (25) and side lying leg lifts (30).
  • FindingCindy721
    Options
    completed today
    plank....10 sec x 3
    superman...x 10 (2 sets)
    leg lifts...10 each leg (2sets)
    squats...x15 (1 set) :(
    push up...on counter top x15 (2 sets)
    pelvic tilts 25
  • Femmigirlz
    Options
    Nice workout Cindy! Good job.
  • mysticlizard
    Options
    Today planks (7), supermans (15), and wall pushups (16) squat challenge (50) pelvic tilts (30) and side lying leg lifts (30).
  • MdwstQT
    MdwstQT Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    You ladies are killing it!

I know I can get a Zumba workout and my challenge goals in between now and Mon. I will do this :)
  • FindingCindy721
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Question for everyone...What do you think of keeping this challenge until the end of February and then trying a new one? Kinda shake things up monthly? We could just try to improve our own reps...Liz you are ROCKIN those squats girlfriend!!! You are gonna be struttin that cute butt by summer lol!!! Just let me know what you think?
    MdwstQT, I LOVE Zumba too!
  • mysticlizard
    Options
    Cindy - Unfortunately that is the only place I don't have any meat :( My backside is flat as a young boy, it always has been.

I think extending it is a great idea. I would like to get to doing pushups on the counter like you.
  • aaliceinw
    Options
    I think it is a great idea. At Curves we keep the same exercises for two weeks.

I did Curves today which includes all of these exercises or varients ie plank is 2 x 30 secs and then there are 4 ab/crunch exercises for 30 secs. I love Curves and was afraid it would become monotonous but it isn't.
  • grooszeczka
    grooszeczka Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    My new challenge is to run 3 times per week and my goal is to run for 60 minutes!
    In two months maybe! ;) )
  • mysticlizard
    Options
    You will be running an hour in no time grooszeczka!