Has anyone else experienced this?

Options
earlnabby
earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
Yesterday I had a high carb day (Early family Christmas celebration) and last night I woke up with agonizing leg cramps. A couple of months ago, I had another high carb day, and also woke up with leg cramps. I didn't think of it much the first time, but when it happened again last night I got to thinking it might have been due to a really high BG spike. Is this possible?

Normally, I stay within my carb limit which is 35% of my total calories or 162 g. I go up to 180 g. if I have exercise calories to eat back but rarely over because 180 is my Dr. ordered limit. I am off all diabetes meds and have an a1c that averages around 5.5.

Replies

• amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I could be. Now that I think of it, when my sugar was high and I was eating more carbs I got more leg cramps at night. I haven't had cramps like that since eating less.
  • pudgyat55
    pudgyat55 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and gout. I have been awakened at night by leg cramps and have noticed it is when I don't drink enough water and my BG level is higher.
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I have more trouble with cramping muscles when I have not had enough water.
  • toofatnomore
    toofatnomore Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I've never had that happen...but I will say this...since I have kept my carbs very low(50 to 75 a day), everything about me feels better. My BS is normal and I have had to watch my oral meds because it drops it too low sometimes...Watch this...

http://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/2014/05/very-low-carb-diet-beats-ada-diet-in.html
  • CrisEBTrue
    CrisEBTrue Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    You also might look into taking extra potassium.
  • JanaY125
    Options
    I take a calcium, magnesium and zinc combo supplement and I don't get such horrible muscle spasms. It has also helped me to have normal bowel movements, instead of rocks.
  • kayeiam
    kayeiam Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Too low of potassium will cause muscle aches and cramps. Best way to find out if you are lacking in an area is have your doctor run blood work.
  • dcp0112
    Options
    Yes, check your electrolytes....they may very well be the culprit
  • AarchAngel
    AarchAngel Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I too get leg cramps at night, but never associated it with my bs levels, but now that their low 100's I realize I'm not having problems with cramping.
  • Gentyl
    Gentyl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I have been on a very low carbohydrate way of life for over 2 years now. Diagnosed with an A1C of 10.7, I haven't had one above a 5.1 since and was able to come off of all medications. So, I am glad there are tests finally being run in the US. I had another aunt who just died of this disease last September. If she had been on this diet her kidneys would never have failed, her disease would never have progressed. I'm writing a recipe book for the rest of my family of fantastic recipes that makes this WOE (way-of-eating) delicious and fun.. And such an easy way to lose weight. Thanks for the website on that study. I will put it in there. No more than 30 carbs a day here. :-)
  • Gentyl
    Gentyl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Gentyl wrote: »
    I have been on a very low carbohydrate way of life for over 2 years now. Diagnosed with an A1C of 10.7, I haven't had one above a 5.1 since and was able to come off of all medications. So, I am glad there are tests finally being run in the US. I had another aunt who just died of this disease last September. If she had been on this diet her kidneys would never have failed, her disease would never have progressed. I'm writing a recipe book for the rest of my family of fantastic recipes that makes this WOE (way-of-eating) delicious and fun.. And such an easy way to lose weight. Thanks for the website on that study. I will put it in there. No more than 0d94g2u5lhav.jpg
    30 carbs a day here. :-)

This is a great example of a recipe I've created for them. 2.4 entire carbs in each big chocolate cookie. 2 of those carbs are fiber. Can't beat that. So, for whoever says it can't be done... I assure you it can.. And without ever feeling deprived.